Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Feb 10, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #4,201 of 11,472
Have to say though, I mostly listen to my beautiful Euforia with active near field monitors, I was using a pair of Yamaha HS7’s, Euforia was a bit let down by these monitors, so I upgraded to a pair of Focal Space 50’s, we are a month down the line, the amp has rounded off into complete beauty, I thought Elise was amazing if you spent some on tubes, Euforia is a complete new ballpark. The detail, dynamics, shear bass grunt, all mixed up in such a transparent package

Hey, at last someone else (apart from Connieflyer and me) that uses the Euforia full time as a preamp ! With the big difference that SMP is into pro music edition, with very nice powered studio monitors. This is another game, I am not a pro but I did bring my Euforia to drive my older son JBL 6 1/2 inch studio monitors and the results were stunning. Not as top notch as the Focals of SMP of course, but sounded so damm good...

This experience confirm my previous impression that the Euforia is a terrific preamp for SS or digital amps. My trusty NAD monitor amps, in dual mono, just jumped into a new life, better than ever after 25 years of duty...there is something about this OTL kind of preamp that simply make solid state amps very happy...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,202 of 11,472
Hey, at last someone else (apart from Connieflyer and me) that uses the Euforia full time as a preamp ! With the big difference that SMP is into pro music edition, with very nice powered studio monitors. This is another game, I am not a pro but I did bring my Euforia to drive my older son JBL 6 1/2 inch studio monitors and the results were stunning. Not as top notch as the Focals of SMP of course, but sounded so damm good...

This experience confirm my previous impression that the Euforia is a terrific preamp for SS or digital amps. My trusty NAD monitor amps, in dual mono, just jumped into a new life, better than ever after 25 years of duty...there is something about this OTL kind of preamp that simply make solid state amps very happy...
Hi Johnnysound,

I have been using my Euforia (and before that the Elise - still have it) as a preamp 99% of the time.
I upgraded recently to Elac Debut 6 and subwoofer S10, and I am extremely happy with the sound. There is a Stereophile review that claims that the Elac is just as good or better than the KEF LS50, at a fraction of the price.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,203 of 11,472
From 6moons review " Euforia will deliver 0.13 watts into 32Ω and 300Ω, 0.2W into 100Ω and 0.08W into 600Ω. Voltage gain is 20dB and output impedance 20Ω."

I am a bit confused with these specs.

Does anyone know what output power tubes make the output impedance of 20Ω? As 6080/6as7/7236/5998 have different impedance.

Confusing indeed myphone...Lukasz did say their amps have been made more low impedance-friendly than your average OTLs, but this does seem a little strange! :wink:

However and whatever, as per the 6moons review, Euforia does do (surprisingly) well with low-ohms, but even better with high-impedance dynamics!! And really well as pre-amp - depending on the power amp!!! :ksc75smile:...ask @SnapperMusicFan , @Johnnysound , @mordy and @connieflyer ...let alone yours truly!! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #4,204 of 11,472
First off let me just say that I have no measurements available to support what I say. I use my own ears and many many years of listening to music as well as friends that have stopped by to listen to the Euforia, and I must say that the combination of this tube amp as a preamp especially going into a solid-state amplifier is quite an upgrade. Right now I am using it going into a Harman Kardon AVR 7200 solid-state amp using them with PSB speakers the image 4 T and subsonic 6 subwoofer. Tomorrow I take delivery of SVS ultimate Tower speakers and PC 12 + subwoofer, and I expect this to really Excel. I have found that the addition of the tube amp with the solid-state amp is a very good sound. I believe as some of the others do that the tube sound warms up the solid-state amp just a little bit and it's all that's necessary to make it sound even better than it ever did before. Now mind you this is my opinion no instrumentation involved in this other than the fact that it is so extremely pleasing. Since coming down with a head cold a couple of months ago I had to back off the use of headphones and that's when I went to the preamp configuration. I have the Sennheiser 800 and also the 400 I headphones as well as a couple of others and this app does great things for those phones.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #4,205 of 11,472
Hi guys...just a quick few(?!) words...

Firstly : I advise anyone over 50yrs who hasn't yet caught Chicken Pox...get vaccinated straight away!! It would appear that since the CT scan has all but eliminated stroke as the cause of my symptoms, it is pretty certain complications post-CP are the most likely culprit...you have been warned!! :wink:

Secondly : Those who may be interested in the very nice new Woo Audio WA33 might consider waiting until F-A announce their own new flagship amp - at the moment proposed as 6SN7s driving 2A3s, in a fully balanced configuration, and with specially commissioned transformer as output power (better for planar headphones and speakers). Plus, their current design is way more modern-looking! :L3000: Further details and pics to follow....

Thirdly : At least my current health limitations have resulted in one benefit : my sense of hearing has become more acute, and I can hear the full beauty of the mesh-plate EL11/EL12 Spezial combo in my Euforia setup...for the short time I can appreciate it lol!! (See my profile for the full complement!). The detail resolution and tonal color is breathtaking for an OTL amp, along with a host of other attributes. It is nice to see that one of the latest fans of the much-feted Elekit DIY amps is wholly in favour of the EL12 Spezial power tube...understandably so!! :ksc75smile:

Fourthly : HAPPY LISTENING!...whatever your preferences!...CJ

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #4,206 of 11,472
Hi guys...just a quick few(?!) words...

Firstly : I advise anyone over 50yrs who hasn't yet caught Chicken Pox...get vaccinated straight away!! It would appear that since the CT scan has all but eliminated stroke as the cause of my symptoms, it is pretty certain complications post-CP are the most likely culprit...you have been warned!! :wink:

Secondly : Those who may be interested in the very nice new Woo Audio WA33 might consider waiting until F-A announce their own new flagship amp - at the moment proposed as 6SN7s driving 2A3s, in a fully balanced configuration, and with specially commissioned transformer as output power (better for planar headphones and speakers). Plus, their current design is way more modern-looking! :L3000: Further details and pics to follow....

Thirdly : At least my current health limitations have resulted in one benefit : my sense of hearing has become more acute, and I can hear the full beauty of the mesh-plate EL11/EL12 Spezial combo in my Euforia setup...for the short time I can appreciate it lol!! (See my profile for the full complement!). The detail resolution and tonal color is breathtaking for an OTL amp, along with a host of other attributes. It is nice to see that one of the latest fans of the much-feted Elekit DIY amps is wholly in favour of the EL12 Spezial power tube...understandably so!! :ksc75smile:

Fourthly : HAPPY LISTENING!...whatever your preferences!...CJ
Hi h1. First time on the Euforia thread, I feel like I've gone from business class to first class! :)

I always though Chicken Pox was a kids condition!, I remember getting CP when I was about 10 and having to wait outside the doctor's waiting room in the hallway because of contagion, never forgotten that, anyway h1, get well soon!.

You're making this new F A flagship sound more mouth watering by the minute, think I'd better start putting me pennies in my piggy bank!.:wink:

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #4,207 of 11,472
First off let me just say that I have no measurements available to support what I say. I use my own ears and many many years of listening to music as well as friends that have stopped by to listen to the Euforia, and I must say that the combination of this tube amp as a preamp especially going into a solid-state amplifier is quite an upgrade. Right now I am using it going into a Harman Kardon AVR 7200 solid-state amp using them with PSB speakers the image 4 T and subsonic 6 subwoofer. Tomorrow I take delivery of SVS ultimate Tower speakers and PC 12 + subwoofer, and I expect this to really Excel. I have found that the addition of the tube amp with the solid-state amp is a very good sound. I believe as some of the others do that the tube sound warms up the solid-state amp just a little bit and it's all that's necessary to make it sound even better than it ever did before. Now mind you this is my opinion no instrumentation involved in this other than the fact that it is so extremely pleasing. Since coming down with a head cold a couple of months ago I had to back off the use of headphones and that's when I went to the preamp configuration. I have the Sennheiser 800 and also the 400 I headphones as well as a couple of others and this app does great things for those phones.
Hi CF,

It's funny that today I was thinking the same as you - a tube preamp enhances a ss amp. I borrowed a grandson's Schiyt Jutenheim, with the Gen 5 USB card. While the lower bass seems better controlled by the Jutenheim, I much prefer the sound of the Euforia in tonality and liveliness.
Combining both, playing through a ss amp, seems to enhance the attributes of both amps.

Tried to compare the Gen5 USB with straight out from the speaker jack on my new WIN10 PC - not sure if there is much difference to my old ears....
And forget about comparing the Gen 5 with my old VISTA PC - no drivers available!

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,208 of 11,472
Hi CF,

It's funny that today I was thinking the same as you - a tube preamp enhances a ss amp. I borrowed a grandson's Schiyt Jutenheim, with the Gen 5 USB card. While the lower bass seems better controlled by the Jutenheim, I much prefer the sound of the Euforia in tonality and liveliness.
Combining both, playing through a ss amp, seems to enhance the attributes of both amps.

Tried to compare the Gen5 USB with straight out from the speaker jack on my new WIN10 PC - not sure if there is much difference to my old ears....
And forget about comparing the Gen 5 with my old VISTA PC - no drivers available!
My friend still has Vista he wanted to get a Schitt DAC to go with is Vista laptop and as he found out Vista is to old and not supported anymore upgrade time .I had vista up until 2 years ago now have Windows 10 still like you I use Musicbee

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #4,209 of 11,472
Hi h1. First time on the Euforia thread, I feel like I've gone from business class to first class! :)

I always though Chicken Pox was a kids condition!, I remember getting CP when I was about 10 and having to wait outside the doctor's waiting room in the hallway because of contagion, never forgotten that, anyway h1, get well soon!.

You're making this new F A flagship sound more mouth watering by the minute, think I'd better start putting me pennies in my piggy bank!.
:wink:

Thanks Scutey...will try!

Yeah, get saving now lol!...sounds like it will be another giant-killer - and (hopefully!) at a much more attractive price and specification for the money, compared to similar competition!! :gs1000smile:

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #4,210 of 11,472
Hi Hypnos1,
I’m looking to give a pair of EL3N’s a go in place of the 6AS7G’s. I have a pair of EL 11’s that sound just fab with a pair of Chatham 6080WB’s.
Can you please point me in the right direction for a pair of adapters to make the EL3N’s work with the EL11’s as I’m pretty sure this is a favoured combo of yours? Many thanks, and I hope the snow’s managable in your part of Suffolk?
All the best.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #4,211 of 11,472
Hi Hypnos1,
I’m looking to give a pair of EL3N’s a go in place of the 6AS7G’s. I have a pair of EL 11’s that sound just fab with a pair of Chatham 6080WB’s.
Can you please point me in the right direction for a pair of adapters to make the EL3N’s work with the EL11’s as I’m pretty sure this is a favoured combo of yours? Many thanks, and I hope the snow’s managable in your part of Suffolk?
All the best.

Hi SMF...glad you like the EL11 - great tube!! Not quite so 'warm' as the EL3N - especially as driver. And the EL tubes, although not configured for, perform wonderfully in F-A's amps. I myself believe this is due to the 6AS7G/6080 (according to radiomuseum) being strictly a regulator tube, as opposed to a power/output tube such as the EL family - despite the greater availability of the former.

I personally find the very best combo - in my system especially - is the mesh-plate Australian EL3NG/old Valvo mesh-plate EL11, driving the TFK EL12 Spezial power. But they are extremely rare and/or now rather expensive! The latter powers require special adapters from ebay.com, and which have a wire to the top anode that usually gives a bad hum unless dealt with by ferrite chokes etc. (I'm lucky in that I have no such problem, adapting the tubes myself).

Instead of the EL12 Spezial you may try the EL3N with adapter available again on ebay.com (be prepared for a long wait, coming from China!), or the much cheaper East German EL12N, regardless of brand name - available for a good price from ebay.de or even ebay.pl if not many on ebay.uk. Again, the latter need an adapter from China -

At the moment I can only find EL3N to 6SN7/6AS7G adapter on ebay.com, which is what you wanted in the 1st place- the others might take some finding!!!

ps. Sorry for the limited reply, but can only use left hand at present - awaiting results of the MRI scan 4th March...slow going!!

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,212 of 11,472
I have to agree with H1, the best combo I have used is the EL11 and E12Spezial's they also run the coolest of any combo I have tried. Mordy just retired my Harman Kardon 7200, could not resist the Anthem MRX 720 receiver any longer. Quite a step up. H1, hope you are behaving yourself, doing a great job with just the left hand.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #4,213 of 11,472
I have to agree with H1, the best combo I have used is the EL11 and E12Spezial's they also run the coolest of any combo I have tried. Mordy just retired my Harman Kardon 7200, could not resist the Anthem MRX 720 receiver any longer. Quite a step up. H1, hope you are behaving yourself, doing a great job with just the left hand.

Hi cf...am trying...very, lol!! :wink:

ps. @SnapperMusicFan ...I myself find it takes a while for the EL tubes to 'settle in' - please give 'em the time they deserve! But your 6080WBs should be pretty damn' awesome!!
pps. Snow here is worst for a long time - hope things are better for you!
ppps. @MIKELAP and @mordy ...better get saving (hard!) for the new flagship as well - sounds like a winner...(for those with a good bit of spare cash!!! :ksc75smile:)...CJ

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,214 of 11,472
If i keep spending, there wont be any left!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back