Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 4, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #7,846 of 11,472
Am happy for you, the difference in quality of the Euphoria and the Schiit amp is obvious. I had one in the distant past. Then the Elise, and now the Euphoria, the best of the bunch. I have sent my Euphoria back for repair as well, but to the U.S. distributor Upscale Audio. Feliks Audio has always treated us with respect and tried to make a very good product no matter which Item they sell. The company is still small enough, to maintain that kind of respect for it's customers. Whenever I had a question about the amp, Lukasz always got back to me with answers, and always treated me with respect, which is a lot more then some manufacturers do today. The T1's I had were a great phone. But they had issues, and then the upgrade to T1.2 came out and I have not heard that one. I went with the Sennheiser 800, phones and liked them better. Also tried a couple of HiFiman phones, still use the HE560 some, but keep going back to the 800. The price you are paying for the cable, to me, is high. I upgraded the cable on the Senn 800 with a Draug3 cable and it helped but I would not expect a new cable to make the phone into something far different. Buy the phone you want, and use it for a few months, let it get a good burn in, and loosen itself up, before you commit to that much money for a cable. You might consider finding a good used phone also. I bought a second Senn 800, used for a friend. Used them both for a month or more and found only a small difference and that was the cable. Purchased another Draug cable and now they sound the same. Just something to thing about. But the main thing is to enjoy the music, that is what it is all about. Don
Thank you, I listened to the HD 800S on the HDVD 800, which was nice, but the Euforia will do a better job I presume. Stock cable of the Arya is a bit too poor, I understood. Forza Audio is not that expensive, but not massive silver. I'll go to the Euforia-shop and compare the 800S with the Arya, almost same price. Kind regards Yoram

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #7,847 of 11,472
I have not heard the 800S, I know the changed it a little from the original 800 which is the one I have. They put a resonator in the phone, added a little more bass to it. There are a lot of great phones in the market today, drives me crazy sometimes, want to try them all! But the main thing is, find what you personally like, not some of the hype that is out there. If it sounds good to you, that is all that matters in the end. Good luck

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #7,848 of 11,472
I'm a bit of a newbie here but I recently picked up a 2nd Hand Euforia 20th Anniversary with Gold Dragon KT88's and I'm completely blown away by the amp. I'm using it in my home office and currently driving my HiFiMan HEK V2's (with Lavricable) - it sounds sublime. I've also used it with my Utopia's but I think I prefer the HiFiMan overall. I've dipped in and out of this thread and I guess my next move would be to do some tube rolling but, to be honest, I've no idea where to start and reading stuff about "dual adapters" just confuses me. So some gentle hand holding would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #7,849 of 11,472
I'm a bit of a newbie here but I recently picked up a 2nd Hand Euforia 20th Anniversary with Gold Dragon KT88's and I'm completely blown away by the amp. I'm using it in my home office and currently driving my HiFiMan HEK V2's (with Lavricable) - it sounds sublime. I've also used it with my Utopia's but I think I prefer the HiFiMan overall. I've dipped in and out of this thread and I guess my next move would be to do some tube rolling but, to be honest, I've no idea where to start and reading stuff about "dual adapters" just confuses me. So some gentle hand holding would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....
Ah this is good news for the Arya?! KT88 is it instead of 6sn7? The Psvane Gold are affordable in China. 120 euro per matched pair. Better than in Europe. Any thoughts on the 6N13S? Tung Sol had a costly one but it has dried up?! No longer for sale. Best wishes, Yoram

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #7,850 of 11,472
Ah this is good news for the Arya?! KT88 is it instead of 6sn7? The Psvane Gold are affordable in China. 120 euro per matched pair. Better than in Europe. Any thoughts on the 6N13S? Tung Sol had a costly one but it has dried up?! No longer for sale. Best wishes, Yoram
sorry - I've got no experience of other tubes with the Euforia. Mine came with 4 KT88's.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #7,853 of 11,472
sorry - I've got no experience of other tubes with the Euforia. Mine came with 4 KT88's.
Hi mike. Most of the current regular posters on the thread have tried and liked the quad of KT88's. Its certainly a very good combination with Euforia. Much can be learned on different tubes and how well they sounded on Euforia by reading through the thread., maybe not the whole thread, that's better done in stages. Enjoy your new amp there's plenty of time later for tube rolling if you think its required.
Regards.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #7,854 of 11,472
Welcome mike, you have already got some nice tubes in the 4 KT88, I would stick with those for a little while, get used to the Euforia AE's sound sig, but the options for tube rolling with these amps is huge, at first it can be a bit bewildering, I would advise just to read the Euforia and also Elise threads for ideas, you will find no end of suggestions, one thing though, tube rolling with this amp can be a slippery slope! :dt880smile:.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #7,855 of 11,472
Welocme, Mike, good to have you here on the forum. May not be fully relevant to you but i rolled numerous tubes in Feliks-Audio Elise and concluded a quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT88's was the best of them all.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #7,857 of 11,472
I rolled the quad of KT66, and then a quad of KT88, then pair of KT66,KT88 and like the quad of KT88 best. Then I tried a pair of KT77 as drivers with KT88 as powers, and that, for me, ended the KT push, this was better than any other quad of KT tubes. But then CJ introduced me to the Gu50 and I was hooked. Tried a quad of GU60 and loved it.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #7,858 of 11,472
I rolled the quad of KT66, and then a quad of KT88, then pair of KT66,KT88 and like the quad of KT88 best. Then I tried a pair of KT77 as drivers with KT88 as powers, and that, for me, ended the KT push, this was better than any other quad of KT tubes. But then CJ introduced me to the Gu50 and I was hooked. Tried a quad of GU60 and loved it.
I'll give the KT77's a go - just to see how the sound of the Euforia changes. Later down the line I'll try the GU50 - any particular brand I should look out for?

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #7,859 of 11,472
I'll give the KT77's a go - just to see how the sound of the Euforia changes. Later down the line I'll try the GU50 - any particular brand I should look out for?

Hi mike, and a belated welcome to Euforia land. And you have indeed struck gold with tr's AE model, complete with what I personally also found to be the best (until now) performing tubes (in my system!) of the many 'alternatives' I've experimented with these past few years - the KT88...firstly in this case the Russian reissue Genalex Gold Lions that you have, and then the much rarer and more expensive original GECs (mine being the top anode TT21/22 versions). As with most original 'NOS' tubes, they do perform a good bit better than later reissues, but prices now can be way OTT unfortunately.

However, as @connieflyer said, the Russian military GU50 is proving to be an exceptional tube, and especially given its ludicrously cheap price - on average $4 to $5 each!! (plus shipping). There are numerous East European and Russian ebay sellers who bought up vast (over)stocks from the Russian military, and these Russian tubes are generally regarded as superior to the Chinese FU50. And it would appear that uniformity of production is such that it matters not if produced in the 70s or 80s...they're all extremely well built tubes lol! :) The only trouble is at the moment there aren't any 3rd party adapters that are needed - they should have been on line by now (from China) but everything there is up in the air of course. Another source could possibly be member Deyan in Bulgaria, if anyone is interested in contacting him, but don't know if he'd be prepared to make this particular adapter or how much it would be. I myself have made just a few, but I'm afraid I can no longer make them generally available alas...

As for the 'dual adapters'... having discovered that combining a GU50 with, in my case, a GEC TT21 version of the KT88 per power channel resulted in such a leap in performance that I hoped previously available dual 6SN7/6AS7G adapters might help folks be able to try this pairing using their reissue KT88s. However, they can prove unreliable and so I myself no longer recommend using them...which I find a real tragedy, but something experienced DIYers could possibly gain much benefit from tackling.

As @Scutey mentioned, there's a vast array of tube (and other) recommendations throughout this and Elise threads...if you can spare the time to gradually sift through... my own (tube) posts have been exclusively on 'alternatives' to those configured for these past years, if you're interested. But as also previously mentioned, take your time...this can indeed become a bottomless pit (that many of us have fallen into lol!). But you already have both an amp and tubes that would satisfy most keen hobbyists...all will depend upon your level of curiosity...and/or depth of your wallet!! :wink: Whatever, I wish you - and everyone - HAPPY LISTENING!...CJ

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #7,860 of 11,472
Hi mike, and a belated welcome to Euforia land. And you have indeed struck gold with tr's AE model, complete with what I personally also found to be the best (until now) performing tubes (in my system!) of the many 'alternatives' I've experimented with these past few years - the KT88...firstly in this case the Russian reissue Genalex Gold Lions that you have, and then the much rarer and more expensive original GECs (mine being the top anode TT21/22 versions). As with most original 'NOS' tubes, they do perform a good bit better than later reissues, but prices now can be way OTT unfortunately.

However, as @connieflyer said, the Russian military GU50 is proving to be an exceptional tube, and especially given its ludicrously cheap price - on average $4 to $5 each!! (plus shipping). There are numerous East European and Russian ebay sellers who bought up vast (over)stocks from the Russian military, and these Russian tubes are generally regarded as superior to the Chinese FU50. And it would appear that uniformity of production is such that it matters not if produced in the 70s or 80s...they're all extremely well built tubes lol! :) The only trouble is at the moment there aren't any 3rd party adapters that are needed - they should have been on line by now (from China) but everything there is up in the air of course. Another source could possibly be member Deyan in Bulgaria, if anyone is interested in contacting him, but don't know if he'd be prepared to make this particular adapter or how much it would be. I myself have made just a few, but I'm afraid I can no longer make them generally available alas...

As for the 'dual adapters'... having discovered that combining a GU50 with, in my case, a GEC TT21 version of the KT88 per power channel resulted in such a leap in performance that I hoped previously available dual 6SN7/6AS7G adapters might help folks be able to try this pairing using their reissue KT88s. However, they can prove unreliable and so I myself no longer recommend using them...which I find a real tragedy, but something experienced DIYers could possibly gain much benefit from tackling.

As @Scutey mentioned, there's a vast array of tube (and other) recommendations throughout this and Elise threads...if you can spare the time to gradually sift through... my own (tube) posts have been exclusively on 'alternatives' to those configured for these past years, if you're interested. But as also previously mentioned, take your time...this can indeed become a bottomless pit (that many of us have fallen into lol!). But you already have both an amp and tubes that would satisfy most keen hobbyists...all will depend upon your level of curiosity...and/or depth of your wallet!! :wink: Whatever, I wish you - and everyone - HAPPY LISTENING!...CJ
Hi h1,
Deyan has the ability to make the GU50 adapters (as well as any other adapter that people may want).
Have you given any thought of trying the original Telefunken LS50 tube that was the model for the GU50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back