Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Feb 14, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #7,816 of 11,472
Rigjt you are CJ, the combo is the best I have used, especially as a pretty amp. System is stable and continues to improve with further burn in

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #7,817 of 11,472
Warming up my new Euforia. Maybe a tube is bad, since I have a slight murmle in my left ear. It won't become worse on higher volumes. I like my old Hifiman 400i with Forza Noir Hybride cable a lot, even better than the T1.2. I guess I like the planar sound. I guess I should be saving for the Meze.
It was not the tubes, my demo model is broken. Let's see if the shop will honor its obligations.

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #7,818 of 11,472
Hi hpamdr...long time no hear. Hope you and your system are in fine health.
Currently the only tune amp i can listen with headphone is my tweaked CTH with single E188CC or 6922..
And these KT tubes don't seem to have been displaying any kind of problem re microphonics thus far...

At this point, one can only surmise therefore that for some strange reason, something unusual is happening in cf's dual adapter/KT88/GU50 setup per se? I shall substitute one of my GEC TT21s for a GL KT88 and see what happens in my own setup...although my environment is different, of course, as well as my own dualing lol!...The plot thickens...
Anyhow it was just some advise to detect if tube are 100% perfect or not. I've used those to do some filtering on tube i got in large unsorted/tested lot (after minimal testing in lampmeter)...
Using additional dual adapter to have more space and do a mechanical decoupling can be a quick test..
Another idea would be to also heat externally KT88 by another external power supply. (Using the same 12.6V powersupply in serie should also be an alternative only with same 6.3 tubes heater resistance to have V1=V2= Vext/2 )

2CJ, you could also try to pair EL39 and GU50 to check if it sound as good as TT21 or not ?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #7,819 of 11,472
Currently the only tune amp i can listen with headphone is my tweaked CTH with single E188CC or 6922..

Anyhow it was just some advise to detect if tube are 100% perfect or not. I've used those to do some filtering on tube i got in large unsorted/tested lot (after minimal testing in lampmeter)...
Using additional dual adapter to have more space and do a mechanical decoupling can be a quick test..
Another idea would be to also heat externally KT88 by another external power supply. (Using the same 12.6V powersupply in serie should also be an alternative only with same 6.3 tubes heater resistance to have V1=V2= Vext/2 )

2CJ, you could also try to pair EL39 and GU50 to check if it sound as good as TT21 or not ?

Hi again hp....and a message for all folks re. the use of 3rd party dual adapters...

I have to admit that given @connieflyer 's very strange experience with his own setup, compared to my own, it would seem to me that as I mentioned previously, the combo in his particular dual adapter is not functioning correctly. And therefore we must wait for any developments before going any further with this use of 3rd party (dual) adapters.

And as for trying the EL39 with the GU50, I'm afraid my own dual setup doesn't make for easy substitution, and so this will have to wait until family responsibilities lessen somewhat alas :triportsad:....CHEERS!...CJ

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #7,820 of 11,472
Quick Update regarding my KT88 QUAD having problems I recently changed out my DAC and tried the QUAD setup again with NO PROBLEMS that I was previously having. I think I may have had a connection seated incorrectly giving the problem from before. I also switched the KT88's around as well and it sounds awesome as usual. But this time for some reason my Sony Z1R's are sounding the best I ever listened too since I have had them. My Utopia's and Empyrean's are pretty much the same as before very good but I am loving the sound better with the Sony's.
Going to Audition the Chord Dave today for the second time but with the M Scaler this time. I am pretty impressed with the Dave first DAC I have listened too that sounds so effortless on doing it's job.

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #7,821 of 11,472
Quick Update regarding my KT88 QUAD having problems I recently changed out my DAC and tried the QUAD setup again with NO PROBLEMS that I was previously having. I think I may have had a connection seated incorrectly giving the problem from before. I also switched the KT88's around as well and it sounds awesome as usual. But this time for some reason my Sony Z1R's are sounding the best I ever listened too since I have had them. My Utopia's and Empyrean's are pretty much the same as before very good but I am loving the sound better with the Sony's.
Going to Audition the Chord Dave today for the second time but with the M Scaler this time. I am pretty impressed with the Dave first DAC I have listened too that sounds so effortless on doing it's job.

Hi L87. Glad you've rekindled your love for the KT88s lol :). And proof that headphones especially are a case of "different strokes for different folks"!! :wink:. But you're very fortunate that if - and when! - your hearing and/or preferences change, you will have the luxury of choice...(if you still possess them all, that is!).

And that Chord Dave - complete with M Scaler - sure is one mighty piece of kit...as it should be, for that price lol! And many would say..."why use another amp, rather than its own hp out?" Mind you, 'they' also say that about the Hugo2 but I, and a good few others, beg to differ lol! :ksc75smile: ...GOOD LUCK with the Dave, and please keep us informed...

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #7,822 of 11,472
It was not the tubes, my demo model is broken. Let's see if the shop will honor its obligations.

Hi Yoram.

That's very sad, not to mention disappointing! news indeed. And certainly the supplier must put it right or reimburse, without question lol!! Hopefully a satisfactory outcome will be sooner than later...GOOD LUCK!

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #7,823 of 11,472
Well You may want to reconsider the use of the Chinese dual adapters. In ouramp I was using a pair of GU50 and Katie 77 and a dual adapter and things were working very well sounded fantastic in fact. Decided I should go back and try the KT88 in this duel adapter to see if it was still buzzing I did that and it was still buzzing so I swapped in the KT66 and that buzzed went back to the Kati 77 and no buzz now thought OK let's try the adapter from the KT77 and put that on the KT88 which is the same adapter did that and it still buzzed turn everything off one more time figured OK it's gotta be and in compatibility with the Katy 88 and Katie 66 with the GU50 make sense they're the only ones that buzzed but the KT77 back in turn the system back on was listening to it things sounded good then I heard a snap saw wisp of smoke cut the power fuse did not blow I have opened the ample fire up but cannot find any sign of a melted component so it must be on the reverse side of the circuit board that is out of sight either that or I partially dodged a bullet but either way bear in mind if you use the dual adapters from China you may or may not have a problem. I had used these same adapters in the E least app and just started using it in the ear foria when this problem arose. So please be aware of the risk you may be taking

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #7,824 of 11,472
One further thought on this last post please forgive the misspelled words as I am using the phones. Voice to text function. Went to the eye doctor had my eyes dilated. So typing normally. Is almost out of the question for now. ! So please forgive. Or at least overlook.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #7,825 of 11,472
Well You may want to reconsider the use of the Chinese dual adapters. In ouramp I was using a pair of GU50 and Katie 77 and a dual adapter and things were working very well sounded fantastic in fact. Decided I should go back and try the KT88 in this duel adapter to see if it was still buzzing I did that and it was still buzzing so I swapped in the KT66 and that buzzed went back to the Kati 77 and no buzz now thought OK let's try the adapter from the KT77 and put that on the KT88 which is the same adapter did that and it still buzzed turn everything off one more time figured OK it's gotta be and in compatibility with the Katy 88 and Katie 66 with the GU50 make sense they're the only ones that buzzed but the KT77 back in turn the system back on was listening to it things sounded good then I heard a snap saw wisp of smoke cut the power fuse did not blow I have opened the ample fire up but cannot find any sign of a melted component so it must be on the reverse side of the circuit board that is out of sight either that or I partially dodged a bullet but either way bear in mind if you use the dual adapters from China you may or may not have a problem. I had used these same adapters in the E least app and just started using it in the ear foria when this problem arose. So please be aware of the risk you may be taking
Hope the amp is still working...
About adapter if i remember old days of CTH/Elise some folks had issues with the dual adapter from china some use pcb to do pin connection... The best is to make them yourself (Colin is building his own if i recall corectly) You can even build a quad adapter that fit to the two socket of the Euforia with more space.
I'm also doing my adapter myself I even rebuild some adapter i have purchased from X...

Deyan in US build adapter for Glenn or WA amplifier you could PM him with some spec

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #7,826 of 11,472

Hi cf. This is really sad news, and I'm so sorry you've become a victim of our experimentation. It would certainly appear the cause of your strange results does indeed lie with those Chinese dual adapters after all...my own combos have been going for hundreds of hours now, including 12 hr sessions, and still no sign of anything amiss.

You do not deserve such rotten luck, given your constant desire to join in the trailblazing that has benefited so many folks here over the years, and I can only hope you find the (hopefully minimal) damage incurred and can remedy it yourself...or find a local amp repairer who can help you out. My best wishes go out to you in this endeavour, D...

And I myself would go further than advising folks to just be aware of the possible risk with Chinese dual adapters...my own recommendation must, unfortunately be :
.............. GIVEN THE POSSIBLE UNRELIABILITY OF CHINESE DUAL ADAPTERS, THE ONLY SAFE OPTION IS TO NOT TRY USING THEM........

I'm particularly disappointed to be giving this advice, after all my glowing reports of the quad power tube setup, but @connieflyer 's unfortunate experience is one sad outcome too many as far as I personally am concerned, and I certainly don't want anyone else to possibly have the same problems as our pioneering friend....the risk is too great IMHO.

BFN...CJ

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #7,827 of 11,472

I've read a lot about Chord DACs and M-Scaler because I am also interested in the topic. Some claim that Qutest with M-Scaler is a totally different beast than standalone. It would be interesting if you could do a Qutest + M-Scaler vs Dave + M-Scaler and see if the huge difference in price makes sense for you or not. Honestly, if you will use an external amplifier I am not sure if it makes sense to pay for an integrated one. I am also thinking about buying an M-Scaler because it is compatible with Qutest / TT2 / Dave and might be future proof.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #7,828 of 11,472
I've read a lot about Chord DACs and M-Scaler because I am also interested in the topic. Some claim that Qutest with M-Scaler is a totally different beast than standalone. It would be interesting if you could do a Qutest + M-Scaler vs Dave + M-Scaler and see if the huge difference in price makes sense for you or not. Honestly, if you will use an external amplifier I am not sure if it makes sense to pay for an integrated one. I am also thinking about buying an M-Scaler because it is compatible with Qutest / TT2 / Dave and might be future proof.

Hi OH.

Good point re. paying that (massive) premium for hp functionality if an external amp is used...something that requires serious consideration to be sure lol :wink:. And even though I don't doubt adding the M-Scaler to my Hugo2 would bring certain improvements, given the performance I'm now enjoying from my system it would need to be truly miraculous to bring significant benefit worthy of the still high cost...(but I might just consider it if the price comes down in the future! :)).

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #7,829 of 11,472
Rigjt you are CJ, the combo is the best I have used, especially as a pretty amp. System is stable and continues to improve with further burn in
Hi. cf.
No lasting issue with Euforia after the duo adapter problem I hope?

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #7,830 of 11,472
Waiting for an RMA to go back to us distributor for repair. Found at least 1 capacitor that a rapping had started coming off of and there may be other problems as well so upscale audio has agreed to give me an RMA and send it back to them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back