Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 9, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #7,876 of 11,473
I have to agree with CJ, his testing has always brought good results. Especially the some of the El tubes, another benefit of those was the low amperage, that brought with them, very low temps on unit. I have tried most of the tubes that CJ has tested, and have never had a problem using them. Good luck

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #7,877 of 11,473
Hi YD.

Folks are using the KT88 - as well as the KT66 and KT77, as I found them (the 66 and 88) to perform extremely well (with adapters) first of all as powers, but then also as drivers...which was most unexpected. And different combinations of these as driver and power tubes suit different folks' systems and personal preferences. But IMHO any combination will most likely outperform any conventional, configured for tube set...regardless of the reputation and/or cost of any 6SN7 or 6AS7G/6080 or their equivalents (and certainly in my own particular setup).
Hi, I asked Lukasz, of Feliks Audio, and he thought I'd best not take the Psvane KT88-TII tubes at all. I am sorry I could not take the Psvane road all the way. Kind regards Yoram

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #7,878 of 11,473
Just tried some different tubes. I need to spend a lot more time with this - so far my preference is the KT77/KT88 over 4 x KT88 - all I can say is wow! The GEC's arrived today - had to play with them but I'll revert to the 77/88 combination for the next few weeks and then try the 77/6550A again.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #7,879 of 11,473
The kt77,kt88 were my favorite combo as well. Liked it better than quad of kt88. More resolving. But then tried the Gu50 quad and that was even better.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #7,880 of 11,473
Does anyone know if the PSVane Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE will fit on the Feliks Euforia? These: https://psvanetube.com/wordpress/st...lobe-6sn7-se-pair-gf-limited-special-edition/

Thanks
The space between the driver is 6cm so 5.5 diameter tubes should fit.
See what is on the description of the tube. The 6SN7SE widest part is 5.5cm diameter. Assuming you need two tubes 0.5cm apart at least, you will need 5.5cm + 0.5 = 6cm from center to center in order to install two tubes side by side..

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #7,881 of 11,473
This is a question for any Empyrean owners with the Euforia. I had a pair of Empyreans, driving them with various amps I had at the time (if memory serves a Benchmark HPA4, Luxman P750U and Tron Antares - all SS) and was pretty underwhelmed - I found them a bit uninvolving and never really warmed to them. Now I've read that Meze & Feliks Audio have worked closely together so there is an evident synergy between the Euforia & Empyrean. Should I be auditioning them again? fwiw I currently own HiFiMan HEK V2 (which works well with the Euforia), Focal Utopia & Focal Stellia, although the Stellia are being used in my "main" system where I need need closed back 'phones.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #7,882 of 11,473
Hi, I asked Lukasz, of Feliks Audio, and he thought I'd best not take the Psvane KT88-TII tubes at all. I am sorry I could not take the Psvane road all the way. Kind regards Yoram

Hi Yoram.

Ah well, this is the choice we all have to make when going 'off piste' lol! Lukasz will, of course, always have to take the safest route...as will all manufacturers. I personally don't know about the PsVane KT88 you mention, but I and those who've been using the reissue Genalex Gold Lion version haven't encountered any untoward issues when using this particular tube...as a single at least. But it appears that it might not actually partner well with a GU50 in the dual power combo role, despite my own GEC TT21 version behaving perfectly...will investigate this further myself...(so, please note folks!).

Anyway Y, you must do what you feel safest with...and thankfully there are plenty of other tubes that perform well in our amps :).

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #7,883 of 11,473
This is a question for any Empyrean owners with the Euforia. I had a pair of Empyreans, driving them with various amps I had at the time (if memory serves a Benchmark HPA4, Luxman P750U and Tron Antares - all SS) and was pretty underwhelmed - I found them a bit uninvolving and never really warmed to them. Now I've read that Meze & Feliks Audio have worked closely together so there is an evident synergy between the Euforia & Empyrean. Should I be auditioning them again? fwiw I currently own HiFiMan HEK V2 (which works well with the Euforia), Focal Utopia & Focal Stellia, although the Stellia are being used in my "main" system where I need need closed back 'phones.

Hi m. The Empys are certainly not one of the more obviously 'exciting' cans out there...their signature is much 'softer'/gentler with a more laid back presentation, especially with the stock cable, as I - and others - have found. They really do need some nice silver wire to bring more sparkle and zest, along with tubes that aren't too much on the warm/dark side. Once given this encouragement, they do sound much more interesting/involving....but still in an understated/refined way.

Given the wonderful HEK V2 and Utopia you already own, you really would need to be able to audition some Empys before buying...preferably with said silver-wired cable (which can then push up the price a fair amount of course, unless you or a friend can make up one using really good quality silver in the mix...preferably single crystal OCC). GOOD LUCK!...

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #7,884 of 11,473
Hi Yoram.

Ah well, this is the choice we all have to make when going 'off piste' lol! Lukasz will, of course, always have to take the safest route...as will all manufacturers. I personally don't know about the PsVane KT88 you mention, but I and those who've been using the reissue Genalex Gold Lion version haven't encountered any untoward issues when using this particular tube...as a single at least. But it appears that it might not actually partner well with a GU50 in the dual power combo role, despite my own GEC TT21 version behaving perfectly...will investigate this further myself...(so, please note folks!).

Anyway Y, you must do what you feel safest with...and thankfully there are plenty of other tubes that perform well in our amps :).
I saw Woo sells the Tung Sol 5998 again for 650 dollar. I am tempted, but the Svetlana 6n13s are only 50 dolar. **** If I were a rich man

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #7,885 of 11,473
Given the wonderful HEK V2 and Utopia you already own, you really would need to be able to audition some Empys before buying...preferably with said silver-wired cable (which can then push up the price a fair amount of course, unless you or a friend can make up one using really good quality silver in the mix...preferably single crystal OCC). GOOD LUCK!...
Thanks h1 - the Empyreans fascinate me as they are so well reviewed. Unfortunately cable building isn't one of my best abilities so I'd probably need to buy a cable before auditioning the 'phones which seems rather counter intuitive.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #7,888 of 11,473
Hi Mike
I'm going to be honest with you at first I felt the Empyreans were boring, and always wanting more from them. I decided to invest in a SILVER cable from Norne Audio and kept the Leather pads attached and started to use it with my stock Euforia and it was a night and day difference in sound, more detail, bigger sound stage. Also what I found that the Benchmark HPA4 never did anything to my headphones (see in my sig) other than a pair of Sennheiser HD800S when using it balanced. So I sent it back for a refund. Since then I recently bought a Monoprice THX 887 and I am completely blown away with it from the holographic sound stage I am getting from it vs the higher priced Benchmark. I can say the same with my current Euforia 4 x KT88 QUAD setup as well. With both setups you can play loud with all difference types of music genres. I also just purchased the Chord Dave and just thru the Dave Single Ended was amazing.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #7,889 of 11,473
Hi Mike
I'm going to be honest with you at first I felt the Empyreans were boring, and always wanting more from them. I decided to invest in a SILVER cable from Norne Audio and kept the Leather pads attached and started to use it with my stock Euforia and it was a night and day difference in sound, more detail, bigger sound stage. Also what I found that the Benchmark HPA4 never did anything to my headphones (see in my sig) other than a pair of Sennheiser HD800S when using it balanced. So I sent it back for a refund. Since then I recently bought a Monoprice THX 887 and I am completely blown away with it from the holographic sound stage I am getting from it vs the higher priced Benchmark. I can say the same with my current Euforia 4 x KT88 QUAD setup as well. With both setups you can play loud with all difference types of music genres. I also just purchased the Chord Dave and just thru the Dave Single Ended was amazing.
Interesting. I was loathe to use the word boring but that pretty much sums up the way I felt about them too. Sound like silver cable is the way to bring them life. Empyrean do their own silver cable https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/ac...ed-4pin-xlr-silver-plated-pcuhd-upgrade-cable which would be a lot more economical here in the UK as there's no import duty to add.

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #7,890 of 11,473
Interesting. I was loathe to use the word boring but that pretty much sums up the way I felt about them too. Sound like silver cable is the way to bring them life. Empyrean do their own silver cable https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/ac...ed-4pin-xlr-silver-plated-pcuhd-upgrade-cable which would be a lot more economical here in the UK as there's no import duty to add.

Hmmm, m...silver plated? By all accounts I'm afraid this doesn't come near solid silver, which unfortunately is a good bit more expensive of course. I personally would want to hear it with the option to return...otherwise might just be disappointing IMHO, given it's still a fair bit of money lol! But I could be wrong, of course! :wink:...CJ

Edit : ps. Can you not adapt your existing nice cable?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back