Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 25, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #7,381 of 11,472
I've found that KT66 are also produced in China by Shuguang. I've found several offers on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KT66-GOL...764031&hash=item3fb7e7e2d0:g:6HcAAOSwTEVdemXq

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KT66-ORI...157961?hash=item3d32da1489:g:s5QAAOSw2d5deo6m

These seem to be clear tops and maybe have a slightly different construction. Did anyone tried these? The prices are decent.

Hi OH.

Yep, there are indeed other new production KT66s - JJ Tesla; Tung Sol; Shuguang (+ 'Golden Dragon') etc., but general concensus points to the Genalex Gold Lion as being easily the best...and don't we all deserve the best lol?! :wink::ksc75smile: And given our amps aren't driving these (or the KT88s) very hard at all, I should imagine they'll have a very long life...hopefully! :smile_phones:...CJ

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #7,382 of 11,472
Also for as long as I have been active with tubes ,not just here but another amplifiers, shugi's have always had a less than stellar reputation I have had two friends that have used them 1 reported the quality was poor and the other told me the tube did not last long. Easy enough to check on the net for the reputation

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #7,383 of 11,472
Also for as long as I have been active with tubes ,not just here but another amplifiers, shugi's have always had a less than stellar reputation I have had two friends that have used them 1 reported the quality was poor and the other told me the tube did not last long. Easy enough to check on the net for the reputation

Yo cf...I myself would much rather always pay a bit more for tubes that not only have a good reputation, but also have proved their worth through personal experience. I have adopted this principle for a long while now, and steadfastly avoid especially those alternative tubes that seem just 'good for the price'...no point whatsoever IMHO cutting corners after having spent so much upgrading the rest of the system lol!! :wink:. (But I draw the line at paying the kind of silly prices currently being asked for scrappy looking used (old) tubes such as many KT66s and KT88s that appear on ebay...no way, as far as I'm concerned! :ksc75smile:).

And such folly is reinforced with each new day's listening to my favourite test tracks of old, both via headphones and speakers. Although privileged to have originated both Elise and Euforia, with 6SN7/6AS7G configuration, I have to say in all honesty that these reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT66 and 88s in our amps are so far ahead of any 'conventional' tubes as to not even be a joke any more...they are substantially superior, full stop lol! :) And although not really needing the 150+ hrs burn-in of the 7581A, their performance in my own system has continued to improve even after this length of time. Today, sounds were coming from my Tannoys that firstly I thought shouldn't actually be there - but simply hadn't noticed them before - and secondly, sounded as if they were actually coming from somewhere else! Have never experienced this before...ever!!

Anyway, after such amazing soundstage - and accompanying dynamic delivery - this evening my head needed something more delicate and refined...so what better than the soothing vocals in Voces 8's album 'Eventide' via the Empyreans. And this album is a prime candidate for testing a system's ability in the 'delicacy/refinement/polish' arena. Once again, this KT combo rose to the challenge, sweeping all before it...as effortlessly as with much heavier, more dynamic material. And so we have yet another bonus with these tubes...ie. no need whatsoever to keep changing tubes to suit the genre. What other tube combo can boast such a plethora of talent lol? I personally haven't yet heard of one to beat this, from all the scouring I've done over the years!! :wink:

As y'all may well have gathered by now, I'm rather impressed with these KT tubes...:L3000:. All that remains - out of interest, of course - is to see how the KT88 likes being driven by another KT88! And the next few days should bring an answer one way or the other...with a third Gold Lion on its merry way to me. At the very least, I shall have yet another one of these gorgeous tubes as a spare (not that I expect to need it as such...but you never know what accidents can befall us hapless tube lovers lol!! :triportsad::dt880smile:)....CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #7,384 of 11,472
I was listening to that a few weeks ago, especially like the Seal Lulababy, they have quite few good albums. On the album Enchated Isle one of my favorites is Barbers Agnus Die, and an old old favorite is I wonder as I wander from their Christmas album. And if you like solo piano, you could try some of Karen Marie Garrett,

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #7,385 of 11,472
I was listening to that a few weeks ago, especially like the Seal Lulababy, they have quite few good albums. On the album Enchated Isle one of my favorites is Barbers Agnus Die, and an old old favorite is I wonder as I wander from their Christmas album. And if you like solo piano, you could try some of Karen Marie Garrett,

Yo cf....'Seal Lullaby' is a gorgeous track. And the whole album sounded utterly sublime via the KT combo...must try some more of Voces 8's work. Not to mention the 'Sixteen'...

Must admit I've never (knowingly) listened to that pianist...is she up to Horowitz/Ashkenazy/Rubinstein/Gould/Pollini/Argerich/ et al? If so, I'm in lol!! :ksc75smile:...CJ

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #7,386 of 11,472
If you need something to get you moving this morning how about Alan Parson's?

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #7,387 of 11,472
If you need something to get you moving this morning how about Alan Parson's?

Yes indeed cf...'The Alan Parsons Project' - one of the very best 'prog.rock' bands ever IMHO. Their 'Turn of a Friendly Card' is truly a masterpiece album as far as I'm concerned. And while on this genre, another top class musician - Mike Oldfield - did so much more than his populist 'Tubular Bells' IMO. Listening to his light rock/fusion album 'Amarok' yesterday reminded me of his tremendous versatility and talent.
As with many other albums, I normally pick and choose my favourite tracks and then move on, but once again with the KT66/88 combo gracing Euforia I was transfixed throughout the entire work...it sounding like never before. I really loved its 'heavier' sections, which I usually only like a little, not being fond of anything much heavier than Genesis' 'Duke' or Dire Straits' 'Love over Gold' for example! :wink:...(yeah, I know...a wimp!! :ksc75smile:).

Anyway, what did strike me over and above all this tube combo's virtues that I've already described ad nauseum was a response to the sound that actually defies words/description...I just felt I was experiencing something beyond normal hi-fi terms...a very special je ne sais quoi, if you will. However, I must admit this was via the Empyreans - the HD650s just couldn't reproduce this unique experience anything like the same (but then, so the Mezes should be able to deliver something extra special, given their price lol!! :smile_phones:).

ps. I would just like to add that contrary to what theory might say about these KT tubes in OTL amps, once they've burned in for about 100 hrs my own system delivered bass that not only goes deeper than ever achieved before, but also more solidly and more detailed...no hint whatsoever of being bloated/soft/boomy. And all without impeding the most delicate treble one could wish for. And as for soundstage...well, unsurpassed IMHO. Plus, these - and other - qualities continue to improve even beyond the 100 hrs mark.

I think I've now said all that needs to be (by me!) about these KT tubes...all except how four KT88s sound! :L3000:...(a third arriving tomorrow, hopefully, and a fourth probably next week...should be quite interesting lol...).

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #7,388 of 11,472
15% flash sale on GL KT66 on TubeDepot.com, and an additional discount if you register! No, I don't work for them, far from it, but who doesn't like a good deal. :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #7,389 of 11,472
15% flash sale on GL KT66 on TubeDepot.com, and an additional discount if you register! No, I don't work for them, far from it, but who doesn't like a good deal. :L3000:
s

As much as I'm appreciating KT66/88 tubes I just popped EL39's driven by EL11' back in Elise, Tubular Bells 2 into player and good old HD600. Wow this is still a combination I love. I think I might have C.S.B.T.D as I cannot seem to resist a bargain when it comes to EL11. Just ended up winning 4x new Valvo's for less than £20 and already have nos RTF on the way. Still I'll never run out.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #7,390 of 11,472
......................................................................................KT88 as driver to KT88 power.................................................................

OK boys, time to get your Christmas present list rewritten!...ie.should read :

No.1.....2x Genalex reissue Gold Lion KT88s (as powers).
No.2.....2x Genalex reissue Gold Lion KT88s (as drivers).

Why?...because today I received my 3rd new GL88, and even with only a few hrs on it (but I suspect generous pre-burn-in lol!), as a driver for one as power, it not only performs superbly but their channel doesn't seem to be giving anywhere near the same level of hum (thru the HD650s, that is) as the KT66 as driver. And I suspect even that is probably mostly due to the other KT66 driver in the circuit! Naturally, I can't know for sure until my 4th 88 arrives next week, but I'm very hopeful...especially for those not fortunate enough to possess the mighty Meze Empyreans lol! :wink:

Anyway, the latest combo of 1x KT88/1x KT66 drivers + 2x KT88 powers is already more than a nose ahead of 2x KT66 as drivers...in my system. I'm using an album I know intimately for comparison - The Alan Parsons Project 'Turn of a Friendly Card', as it has a good combination of electric/electronic/acoustic/vocals/percussion/effects.

There's even more precise separation/placement of instruments, all within an even more expanded 3 dimensional stage (which I never thought possible)....the exaggerated panning in 'Games People Play' not only went wider, but wrapped around to the very back of my head, for example.

'Air' and space around vocals gave a special quality to solo numbers in 'You've got nothing left to lose' and 'I don't wanna go home'. Individual singers in group vocals in 'Snake Eyes' were more distinct, less melded together.

Drum runs sounded more clear and precise...even when rather frantic, displaying masterly control, 'speed' and timing. Shaking tambourine was equally clear and precise.

Tonal range was still superb with, dare I say it, even better bass...solid and detailed.

And all this from just one KT88 as driver in place of the 66 lol! :smile_phones:...so can't wait to see what a second as driver brings to the table.

To conclude, I can only recommend you give this quartet a try if you can. And it's all the easier for you guys in the US, with reissue Genalex GL KT88s going on ebay.com for just $40 to $45 each. The best price here, apart from the very rare bargain on ebay UK/EU seems to be a still very reasonable £47 from Hot Rox UK...and at these prices, this tube is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned! :ksc75smile:...so, bring on Christmas!! :beerchug:...CJ

ps. Am eager to see next week if 4x KT88s can help out you guys with slight hum re. KT66/KT88 combo...will let you know the minute my 4th tube arrives of course...

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #7,391 of 11,472
s

As much as I'm appreciating KT66/88 tubes I just popped EL39's driven by EL11' back in Elise, Tubular Bells 2 into player and good old HD600. Wow this is still a combination I love. I think I might have C.S.B.T.D as I cannot seem to resist a bargain when it comes to EL11. Just ended up winning 4x new Valvo's for less than £20 and already have nos RTF on the way. Still I'll never run out.

Well bt...there's no denying the superb performance of the EL11/EL39 combo...a very hard act to follow indeed lol! :ksc75smile: And each individual's system will certainly give slightly different results...so thank the Gods for the incredible versatility/flexibility of both Elise and Euforia!! :L3000::L3000:...HAPPY LISTENING!

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #7,392 of 11,472
s

Well bt...there's no denying the superb performance of the EL11/EL39 combo...a very hard act to follow indeed lol! :ksc75smile: And each individual's system will certainly give slightly different results...so thank the Gods for the incredible versatility/flexibility of both Elise and Euforia!! :L3000::L3000:...HAPPY LISTENING!

4 new EL11 Valvos for less than £20 ... where in the world ? A big bargain. Just bought a NOS pair for $ 80, still a fair price...since I was looking for the ones made by Loewe-Opta Berlin (factory code G-xx) I have another tube with the same code that sounds fantastic...and yes, the new ones are absolutely great sounding, very refined drivers in Euforia. BTW, EL11 tubes from the same factory were labeled as “Valvo”, “Philips” or “Siemens”.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #7,393 of 11,472
4 new EL11 Valvos for less than £20 ... where in the world ? A big bargain. Just bought a NOS pair for $ 80, still a fair price...since I was looking for the ones made by Loewe-Opta Berlin (factory code G-xx) I have another tube with the same code that sounds fantastic...and yes, the new ones are absolutely great sounding, very refined drivers in Euforia. BTW, EL11 tubes from the same factory were labeled as “Valvo”, “Philips” or “Siemens”.

Just got lucky with a bid which doesn't often happen to me. They arrive today so we will see. I own several Telefunken/Valvo and RFT11's which I use along side EL39's, a combo I really like however never managed to get a new pair so looking forward to the journey.

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #7,394 of 11,472
Just sent in my order for another pair of KT88's so I have 4 Genelex KT66 with just over 100 hours I will be selling as well as the 4 Tunsol 7581A's. Going to consentrate on the KT88's and if these work for me as well as the others have will keep Euforia and the KT88's, if not will move to another amp that uses the KT 88's, I guess I should have gone with my first thought and got the KT88's first!

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #7,395 of 11,472
Interesting thread about KT88's to be aware of ......KT-88's better than EH ... | Audiogon Discussion Forum
[Search domain forum.audiogon.com/discussions/kt-88-s-better-than-eh] https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/kt-88-s-better-than-eh
The Penta Labs KT88sc are not made to the factory specs of Genelex KT88, nor are the Penta Labs KT88sc made with the same materials or on the same equipment as the Genelex KT88. Penta Labs has a disclaimer on their website that the Penta Labs KT88sc is designed to cosmetically resemble the Genelex KT88, and Penta Labs makes no further claims to the similarity of these two brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back