Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #6,587 of 11,460
Have to agree with Cj and UT, these multiple tube adapters have been talked about in the past, and have always been a topic that had to be stopped. The users of these adapters have been told in the past not to post about them, and yet they feel obliged to continue their false rhetoric time and time again. CJ set up this thread and was very specific about not talking about these. It is not hard to follow the rules, and if you think they should be changed, then fine, ask the moderator first, if it would be alright. But especially, the fact the FA does not sanction these adapters and will remove the warranty has to show how much they dislike this.If you are to be a responsible member of this thread, the rules are not hard to obey.
In other news, this on facebook announcement Feliks Audio
September 7 at 5:29 PM ·

For our American fans, the Rocky Mountains Audio Fest is first opportunity to see and hear the new Anniversary Euforia at our distributor’s stand Upscale Audio https://www.facebook.com/feliksaudio/

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #6,588 of 11,460
Yes indeed @UntilThen and @connieflyer ...may peace and happiness flow freely! :smile_phones: And as far as I'm concerned, if one is lucky enough to bag a pair of EL39s especially, Euforia will deliver a sound to satisfy the most demanding of tastes lol! :wink:
And, cf, as for the special Anniversary Edition Euforia being showcased at the RMAF, it will be very interesting to see reaction to it there. And hopefully more nice photos will emerge :)...(especially of the gloss 'Space Grey' finish, which seems evident on the front panel, but the case looks more black to my eyes lol??!! :ksc75smile:). Whatever, I do think it looks real classy...

ps. Talking of EL39s, have you been able to try yours yet @WithGumption ? Hope all is OK...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #6,589 of 11,460
I agree, the only pictures that I have seen of the anniversary app all look black to me. Of course that may just be the way that they captured the photo and did not make it true to the colors for whatever reason. I am still hoping that they will get the review amplifier to you so we can get a good comparison between the anniversary app and the Euforia. They are asking a lot of money for the new amplifier and unless it is going to be substantially better, 30 to 35% over the cost of our amp it's kind of stretching it to my way of thinking. I will email the cops again and ask him about your demo. He had told me that you were going to get one so I would definitely like to see you have one we can get an honest review and comparison. And if it is indeed much better I'll buy one

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #6,590 of 11,460
I agree, the only pictures that I have seen of the anniversary app all look black to me. Of course that may just be the way that they captured the photo and did not make it true to the colors for whatever reason. I am still hoping that they will get the review amplifier to you so we can get a good comparison between the anniversary app and the Euforia. They are asking a lot of money for the new amplifier and unless it is going to be substantially better, 30 to 35% over the cost of our amp it's kind of stretching it to my way of thinking. I will email the cops again and ask him about your demo. He had told me that you were going to get one so I would definitely like to see you have one we can get an honest review and comparison. And if it is indeed much better I'll buy one

Yo cf, it would indeed be great if I can demo one...fingers crossed! :fingers_crossed:Those ClarityCaps capacitors and Constant Current Source alone sound very interesting indeed...not to mention an even better transformer - the latter 2 especially, given the importance of power supply in all amps lol! :L3000: I'd even be prepared to pay extra and ask for a custom amp with my favourite Neotech UP-OCC silver wire in addition to the copper (won't use anything else these days!), if the amp can win over my wallet lol!! :wink:...CJ

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #6,592 of 11,460
OK DL...let's stop here right now. Doesn't this give a clue as to the ill-advisedness of this kind of multi combo in an amp not designed for such use, unlike some of Glenn's? ...This might well also explain the experience of discoloration in one of your EL39s.

I must stress to folks that Feliks-Audio will NOT countenance such use of their amps, and will void the warranty. I also do NOT advise such use, despite the use of an external power supply. And as F-A's voice here on the thread that I personally started, I ask that any further discussion on this practice be taken to another new thread and not continued here.

Clarifying question for us relative newcomers: Does the use of any adapter (EG - for an EL type tube) void the warranty?

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #6,593 of 11,460
All EL tubes require adapters in the Euforia/Elise amps. Nobody has reported problems running pairs or quads of these tubes, but I am not sure if they are officially sanctioned by Feliks Audio.
I don’t think the adapters per se is the problem, but if somebody runs other combinations that exceed the current capacity of the amp there may be reasons for FA disapproval.

Sep 9, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #6,594 of 11,460
I think FA wishes folks would run the specified tubes and be happy with them. I have heard Lukanz say: "the default tubes also sound good". Probably drives them batty to watch the rolling go so buck wild.

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #6,595 of 11,460
The problem is the combination of EL39 + 6BL7 + 6080. Those tubes have very different electrical specs. Ask any major tube amp builders if they would consider using this combination in their top of the line tube amps and they will look at you funny !

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #6,596 of 11,460
The problem is the combination of EL39 + 6BL7 + 6080. Those tubes have very different electrical specs. Ask any major tube amp builders if they would consider using this combination in their top of the line tube amps and they will look at you funny !

Precisely UT...the problem's not the straightforward use of 'alternative' tubes I have experimented (exhaustively!) with and found - along with many others - to be safe as well as at least equal in performance to some of the best conventional tubes...and often superior lol! :wink: And as I explain to LW below, it's only the extreme/excessive use of multiple tube setups that will definitely void any warranty...as it would with any other maker if not in the design. And for sure you're also certainly right in that no-one would even consider making an amp with such diverse combinations!!

Clarifying question for us relative newcomers: Does the use of any adapter (EG - for an EL type tube) void the warranty?

Hi LW.

There's a world of difference between using single adapters and multi ones in an amp not specifically designed for such use. All the 'alternative' tubes I have adapted for years now have been extensively tested, not only by myself but many other users also.... and none more so than the EL family of tubes. And although F-A can't officially endorse their use, Lukasz has confirmed to me that he isn't now at all unhappy with them, even though they did find the bench readings 'unusual' lol! And he agreed that they are obviously safe to use, given how long I especially have used them without anything untoward whatsoever, in either Elise or Euforia....further reinforced by my testing of every single internal component's operating temperature, showing that they ran at 10 deg C (50 F) cooler than with stock tubes, and a section immediately below the trafo at 20 deg C (68 F) cooler!!

Therefore, the use of such tubes will not, of itself, cause any warranty-voiding damage. Naturally - as with any tube - there's always the slight possibility of it 'blowing'/arcing, but hopefully our amps' protective circuitry should be able to prevent major damage, and cannot be blamed upon it being an 'alternative' tube. With regard to the adapter itself, although the occasional Chinese one has failed (which Mrsx has always happily replaced), I've yet to hear of it causing any damage to the amp. And I would recommend that if ever anyone has the slightest doubt about an adapter's functioning, it is reported to the maker and replaced...assuming all the usual tests have been made to eliminate any other cause first...ie. swapping adapters/tubes; checking the tube's pins are shiny clean; tubes and adapters are seated properly; all cable connections in the system are secure/clean, including the power supply connector!...etc.

And so, in short, so long as one hasn't gone more extreme than this; taken the usual care in using the amp, and with tubes that I myself have proved to be safe, there's no reason why the warranty should be voided, if the worst should happen...they can (usually) soon determine the actual cause of any problem! :wink: So fear not, mes amis! :)...CJ

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #6,597 of 11,460
Precisely UT...the problem's not the straightforward use of 'alternative' tubes I have experimented (exhaustively!) with and found - along with many others - to be safe as well as at least equal in performance to some of the best conventional tubes...and often superior lol! :wink: And as I explain to LW below, it's only the extreme/excessive use of multiple tube setups that will definitely void any warranty...as it would with any other maker. And for sure you're also certainly right in that no-one would even consider making an amp with such diverse combinations!!

I'm with you fully. The difference is you know what you are doing while other copycats will just try to outdo you by combining any type of tubes under the sun and then proclaim it's end of the world combination. Sad I know. :)

You just enjoy your discovery because I know you're getting excellent sonics there. :beerchug:

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #6,598 of 11,460
I'm with you fully. The difference is you know what you are doing while other copycats will just try to outdo you by combining any type of tubes under the sun and then proclaim it's end of the world combination. Sad I know. :)

You just enjoy your discovery because I know you're getting excellent sonics there. :beerchug:

Thanks for your kind words UT...it's been a long, and sometimes arduous journey with Elise and Euforia, but it's nice to know a good few folks have found enjoyment from the fruits of the efforts, along with the undoubted excellent results still from more 'conventional' fare lol! :L3000: :beerchug:

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #6,599 of 11,460
Thanks for your kind words UT...it's been a long, and sometimes arduous journey with Elise and Euforia, but it's nice to know a good few folks have found enjoyment from the fruits of the efforts, along with the undoubted excellent results still from more 'conventional' fare lol! :L3000: :beerchug:

It's like a life long journey. Look how far we've come. I've no doubt we are both enjoying the best in quality sound. For me there is still one more amp that I will be getting from Glenn and that will be a transformer coupled amp using EL11 driving EL12 spez using a tube rectifier. Glenn reckons it will output 10 watts in strapped triode mode.

After this I'll retire or I'll upset the wife too much. :smile_phones:

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #6,600 of 11,460
In life I have few regrets but one of them is that pct isn't with us anymore. There has never been a closer bond than the 4 of us together. That I will never forget and it's something I'll take with me when I retire from this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back