Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #6,556 of 11,448
I purchased my 2x Phillips EL39s from this same seller and this listing popped up right after my purchase. So if you’re in the market for some 39s keep your eyes peeled. I’ll report on the 2x Phillips 39s in a few days. Shout out to Colin for the great adapters. Enjoying with Visseaux EL3Ns. Now all I need is for some EL11s to show up!

Looking forward to your findings Mh. If those tubes are indeed NOS, be safe in the knowledge that things will get even better as time goes by...much better even lol!! :wink:

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #6,557 of 11,448
Looking forward to your findings Mh. If those tubes are indeed NOS, be safe in the knowledge that things will get even better as time goes by...much better even lol!! :wink:

Absolutely, things will get much better, after quite a long period of time (Lol) !! Trying to shorten the “burn in” period for my quartet of NOS EL39s, I pushed them “to the limit” for more than 80 hours as “hot” power pentodes in my power amp, and yes, that helped perhaps a little bit, but the 39s are tough animals. After (plus than) 120 hours more as powers on Euforia now I think that they are singing beautifully...but also feel that they are capable of even more. It is not easy to tell when the EL39s have reached full maturity, but this will certainly happen eventually.... when they cease to “improve” sonically. Anyway, no doubt those are extremely durable tubes, specially strapped as triodes. And my dear friends, please let me know it you find some pair available !!

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #6,560 of 11,448
Well, I have not had the pre-amp connected for a few months now, and seeing all this talk I decided I should give it try again. This is the first outing with the Special EL 38 El 39 and two Valvo mesh plate EL 11's. I am running it through an Anthem MRX 720, SVS Ultra towers, SVS Ultra Center PSB surrounds and an SVS PC-12 Plus subwoofer. With this tube combo the pre-amp out is extraordinary, have not heard it like this before, especially the bass. The Ultra towers have dual 8" bass speakers in them, and they were very active indeed. Diana Krall was to die for, was ready to ask her out to dinner, so realistic and the presence was right her in the room. Treble was crystal clear, and there in equal amounts, so the whole sound stage was very believable. Putting on the test tracks that I use, the bass actually rattled the pictures on the wall, the signal around 35 Hz was sustained with no distortion, so much so you could feel in in your gut, as well as the floor and furniture. Neighbors loved it. Tim had to come over to see what I was up to, so had to play a few more tracks at higher than normal, and I could see by his smile, he enjoyed it as well. Wants me to invite his friend over, to demonstrate the system, his friend has a nice system as well, and Tim thought it would put him in his place, might have to do that. At lower volume, it was still an engaging display of instrument placement, and levels. The last combo's I used with the Euforia, were a quad of EL 38's and it was nice but nowhere's near as good as this. The bass was much better controlled, and mid's were tighter as well. Glad you folks talked about this subject again, had not thought about the pre amp since last time was not that good. This will be a very nice time filler come winter, when the house is all closed up, and the neighbors are not out and about.

Well, CF, I am extremely pleased that you trusted me and decided to try Euforia as a preamp with your great gear (I almost got your very same SVS speakers last year). I have been saying this for a long time, but nobody heard me: Euforia is nothing less than a killer preamp with ss amps. And I mean it, I have dual mono NAD monitor amps rated at 260 watts each (capable of 450 watts peak) and a tube OTL preamp can make them blow your house ceiling, but probably your speakers will blow first (as happened to me). Having tried a lot of preamps of all types, there is nothing that even comes close to an OTL preamp for driving ss amps, period. The dominance is absolute, and the ss amp will sound just like the tube preamp, but with the best bass ever (as you noticed). For me, Euforia configured with EL11/EL39s allowed the deepest, most awesome clean & clear bass from my ss amps, and my Living Sound Audio LSA 2 floorstanding speakers were so deep and dynamic that there was no need to engage my pair of active servo subwoofers. I have had some very good speakers...but the magic & musical emotion of the (rare) LSA 2s are beyond all of them. Their small production in the U.S. ceased some 3 years ago, and are no longer available...driven by a tube amp is pure, classic sweetness

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #6,561 of 11,448
You may not know it but linking that site here is a no no.

I had no idea, I just googled for something and saw that some guys have done some research. I'll remove it. For me it seemed a decent opinion. I edited my post, you can edit your quote to remove it if it is somehow forbidden. For me every opinion counts :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6,563 of 11,448
I had no idea, I just googled for something and saw that some guys have done some research. I'll remove it. For me it seemed a decent opinion. I edited my post, you can edit your quote to remove it if it is somehow forbidden. For me every opinion counts :)

Ask Hypnos1 and he will tell you more about it but best to take it offline. I shall delete my post too.

Hey guys...you've really aroused my interest lol! Would love to at least know the subject involved...:ksc75smile:

Having had personal experience of the 'Forum that must not be mentioned' - as you so rightly point out, UT!! - I can only say, OH, that the opinions of many there are far from unbiased, objective, and extensively tested ones I'm afraid. In my own case, their derision at my adapting and using 'unconventional' tubes in our amps - safely and with stellar results - displays such attitudes to perfection. And the fact that many folks indeed have since corroborated my findings for years now just compounds this arrogant small-mindedness even further. I shall say no more...:wink:

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #6,564 of 11,448
I check in there from time to time, just to see if they have changed at all, and it is always the same. Over the top "experts" same group of people as before. I have not found anything of use there. As CJ says, if I had listened to them, my use of, and total enjoyment of the EL family of tubes would never have happened. Stick with CJ, his knowledge of this amp, especially, is above reproach.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #6,565 of 11,448
Hey guys...you've really aroused my interest lol! Would love to at least know the subject involved...:ksc75smile:

Having had personal experience of the 'Forum that must not be mentioned' - as you so rightly point out, UT!! - I can only say, OH, that the opinions of many there are far from unbiased, objective, and extensively tested ones I'm afraid. In my own case, their derision at my adapting and using 'unconventional' tubes in our amps - safely and with stellar results - displays such attitudes to perfection. And the fact that many folks indeed have since corroborated my findings for years now just compounds this arrogant small-mindedness even further. I shall say no more...:wink:

Well you said what needs to be said. I shall not expand on it. When Octa link that site, I simply told him it's a no no. Take care hypnos1 and connieflyer. Remembering the good old times.

Best
UT.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #6,566 of 11,448
Absolutely, things will get much better, after quite a long period of time (Lol) !! Trying to shorten the “burn in” period for my quartet of NOS EL39s, I pushed them “to the limit” for more than 80 hours as “hot” power pentodes in my power amp, and yes, that helped perhaps a little bit, but the 39s are tough animals. After (plus than) 120 hours more as powers on Euforia now I think that they are singing beautifully...but also feel that they are capable of even more. It is not easy to tell when the EL39s have reached full maturity, but this will certainly happen eventually.... when they cease to “improve” sonically. Anyway, no doubt those are extremely durable tubes, specially strapped as triodes. And my dear friends, please let me know it you find some pair available !!

Well, J, all I can say is that I've been using my EL39s exclusively now since May, and still I'm being surprised by new, unexpected aspects of sound delivery, albeit more subtle ones. Obviously, a certain amount of this continued improvement will be down to the upgrades I've made throughout the system, but I'm sure this tube's long 'maturation' will still benefit all systems...a stellar tube indeed lol! :L3000:

ps. Am still trying to work out just how I'm gonna get more out of Euforia as preamp with my latest tube combo in place, and realise the new Monitor Audio 200s just aren't going to be man enough to make that bass really shine...very neat and 'small room friendly' though they are. But the rather larger Tannoy xt6f look as if they might be a good compromise, having very good reviews and currently going for half price!...Decisions, decisions...

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #6,567 of 11,448
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #6,568 of 11,448
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #6,569 of 11,448
Hi again guys, I wonder if I should be concerned about possible early burn out from my EL39's? I've noticed the top of the glass has developed a fairly dark 'sun-tan' after being my mainstay powers for a month. I initially burned them in with music overnight for about 3 12-hour sessions, without a fan which may have been the cause because these EL39's actually do get fairly hot - albeit still only around 1/2 as much as those fire-hot 6080's. Since then I've been using a small fan on the tubes to reduce heat buildup in hopes to prolong the life.

Photo 1: before use
Photo 2 & 3 are from today, with #3 showing the top up close revealing the change in color.

20190618_123136.jpg

20190907_161347.jpg

20190907_161720.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #6,570 of 11,448
Hi again guys, I wonder if I should be concerned about possible early burn out from my EL39's? I've noticed the top of the glass has developed a fairly dark 'sun-tan' after being my mainstay powers for a month. I initially burned them in with music overnight for about 3 12-hour sessions, without a fan which may have been the cause because these EL39's actually do get fairly hot - albeit still only around 1/2 as much as those fire-hot 6080's. Since then I've been using a small fan on the tubes to reduce heat buildup in hopes to prolong the life.
Hi DL,
Some tubes develop blotches at the top of the glass - perhaps it is called anode boil-off; not sure about this. But these things only indicate that the tube is used and does not preclude continuing to use it for a long time.
Photo 1: before use
Photo 2 & 3 are from today, with #3 showing the top up close revealing the change in color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back