Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Feb 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #5,581 of 11,472
If, my comment had nothing to do with heat, the discussion was about socket breaking down. It was about adding something else in the signal path, that may MAY add a degradation in the sound. Also something to a two thousand dollar amount of unknown construction to the circuit that could fail just to save a couple of degrees to an amp that was designed with the heat build up in mind. Raising the power tube up an inch may lower the temp some on the deck of the amp, but it is still the same distance from the transformer housing and that radiant heat is not going to be dissipated any better.

Hi cf....hence the use of a small (silent!) fan could well be the answer for anyone with heat concerns IMO! Also, I recommend the use of additional (large) 'cone' feet under the amp - in hard wood, for example. Not just to aid ventilation, but as excellent further isolation :L3000:...

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #5,582 of 11,472
After much deliberation, it's taken me weeks to make up my mind, I've decided life is too short and I have finally ordered a Euforia, so hopefully fairly soon I'll be able to finally understand for myself just how good it really is, can't wait! :beyersmile:.

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #5,583 of 11,472
I am very happy for you, and as expected, I will wait for your 1:1 comparison using the same tubes and so on. And of course, pictures. I have often the same feeling that life is short, so I have done also an addition for my line.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #5,584 of 11,472
Thanks O. I shall be keeping the Elise for a while, so I will be able to do 1:1, probably starting with the TS 5998/Psavane, as I know it's your favourite, and one of mine too. I've purchased it through Audiobarn, the UK seller for F.A, they told me the wait time is about 3 weeks :fingers_crossed:.

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,586 of 11,472
Google is your friend

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #5,587 of 11,472
After much deliberation, it's taken me weeks to make up my mind, I've decided life is too short and I have finally ordered a Euforia, so hopefully fairly soon I'll be able to finally understand for myself just how good it really is, can't wait! :beyersmile:.

WELL DONE Scutey!...and profuse apologies for being one of the guilty parties who've helped raid the kids' inheritance lol!! :triportsad:...unless there's a budding tube amp enthusiast in the midst!! :wink:

Whatever, you do indeed only live once (don't we?!), so you deserve to spoil yourself...as have a good few of us now...:ksc75smile:. So it's yet another WELCOME!, mon ami...CJ

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,588 of 11,472
WELL DONE Scutey!...and profuse apologies for being one of the guilty parties who've helped raid the kids' inheritance lol!! :triportsad:...unless there's a budding tube amp enthusiast in the midst!! :wink:

Whatever, you do indeed only live once (don't we?!), so you deserve to spoil yourself...as have a good few of us now...:ksc75smile:. So it's yet another WELCOME!, mon ami...CJ
Cheers h1!, no apologies necessary!, the kids have had plenty already, my turn now!, they're going to get plenty when I snuff it anyway, just not for a while yet, hopefully!, and after the purchase of the Euforia a bit less, but I'm not bothered!, and as you rightly say why shouldn't we spoil ourselves eh! :wink:, can't wait to get my sticky mitts on it! :L3000:.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #5,589 of 11,472
Hi guys...just a quick note (or two!) on my A/Bing yesterday between Olli's HD 800s (v1, with upgraded cable) and my T1s (v1, also with upgraded cable). This testing was made all the easier and more accurate by being able to keep both sets of cans plugged in at the same time...mine connected direct to the amp's internal wiring, of course! And I'm glad to say Euforia handled this with no trouble whatsoever...and not the slightest hint of distortion or other objection lol! :) :)

What was most interesting/obvious at first listen was the difference being much greater than previously, when using different tubes in Euforia. And so to summarise, I shall list what we both found stood out...in only limited detail, as time was short alas...

1. Much to my surprise, the immediate difference was how much more forward was the Senns' presentation. This gave a more intimate sound to be sure - especially nice for female vocals. However, I personally have come to love the more 'holographic' sound of the T1s, but that still has a sufficiently forward/intimate nature IMHO.

2. Bass/lower mids had a more solid feel in the T1s, giving an overall richer tone...which I personally much preferred. Especially when we tried his Questyle CMA 800 amp, which was nowhere near the same in this department compared to the Euforia/EL38 setup, and therefore could never be happy with, myself!

3. Mids in general did however have more detail...partly due to them being 'closer' in their presentation I suspect. But also, of course, because the HD 800s must surely be pretty well the 'King' of details lol :wink:...

4. Treble was much softer through the 800s, and perhaps slightly more accurate as a result. But the T1s' very slightly 'harder' approach brings - for me at least - a bit more 'sparkle' and 'bite', which I again have come to prefer. And which also, of course, helps towards that 'cavernous', spatial imaging...even if it does soften 'focusing' a tad (you can't have it all, alas!).

It's also possible that this difference is partly due to Olli's use of UP-OCC silver wire that has a small amount of gold inside, thereby smoothing treble especially. And possibly also helping bring out more mids detail...(might just be tempted to try some myself...the thought of possibly coming somewhere between the two headphones is very appealing...and much cheaper than trying other TOTL cans!! :ksc75smile:).

And so, folks, although we had nowhere near enough time to do a full and proper assessment of the differences between these two wonderful headphones...in my system...I think we managed to have a fairly good taste of the basic strengths and weaknesses of their performance in Euforia. Both sound tremendous, of course, and at the end of the day it comes down - as always! - simply to personal preference (not to mention any price differential).

For me, the Beyers have it...but then, I've lived with them a long time now, and they're my comfy pair of slippers...warts (small!) and all. Perhaps new top flight ones might just 'better' them - Focal Clear, for example? Who knows...If I could get some on loan, I'd definitely keep an open mind. But for now, I'm still very happy with my Beyers...perhaps with a new cable lol?!! :dt880smile::dt880smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #5,590 of 11,472
Hi again guys...just another quickie...promise this time!!

In the process of checking a pair of RFT EL11s for another newcomer to our midst, I must congratulate @connieflyer for trying the EL11 as driver for the EL38 powers. To put it mildly...I cannot believe how good this combo is!...(but should have listened to cf more closely lol! :wink:). It is pretty well a match for my Dario/balloon 38 combo as drivers...if not better! Will have a more definite conclusion once I've lived with my mesh-plated 11s driving my 'super' 38 power combo a while longer yet, but already I'm mightily impressed. The EL11 has never sounded this good....even with top flight powers. Which proves once again just how masterful are the EL38s as power tubes...there's simply no contest! This is a combination made in Heaven, and one that could well be end game for any system/ears...especially for us lucky Euforia owners...:ksc75smile:

ps. OH NO!...have just had a look at ebay.pl (Poland) where I used to see lots of really good used RFT EL11s at a very good price, not to mention reasonably priced NOS tubes, and...NONE! Who's been buying up the EL11 since I plugged it here a while back?...ain't fair!! :triportsad:. But I can only recommend you keep your eyes peeled for some...you never know...GOOD LUCK!...CJ

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #5,592 of 11,472
Hi again guys...just another quickie...promise this time!!

In the process of checking a pair of RFT EL11s for another newcomer to our midst, I must congratulate @connieflyer for trying the EL11 as driver for the EL38 powers. To put it mildly...I cannot believe how good this combo is!...(but should have listened to cf more closely lol! :wink:). It is pretty well a match for my Dario/balloon 38 combo as drivers...if not better! Will have a more definite conclusion once I've lived with my mesh-plated 11s driving my 'super' 38 power combo a while longer yet, but already I'm mightily impressed. The EL11 has never sounded this good....even with top flight powers. Which proves once again just how masterful are the EL38s as power tubes...there's simply no contest! This is a combination made in Heaven, and one that could well be end game for any system/ears...especially for us lucky Euforia owners...:ksc75smile:

ps. OH NO!...have just had a look at ebay.pl (Poland) where I used to see lots of really good used RFT EL11s at a very good price, not to mention reasonably priced NOS tubes, and...NONE! Who's been buying up the EL11 since I plugged it here a while back?...ain't fair!! :triportsad:. But I can only recommend you keep your eyes peeled for some...you never know...GOOD LUCK!...CJ
H1 I've been listening to the same combo, Philips balloon coated 38's and NOS TFK EL11 for the last few days and I feel exactly the same, sounds spectacular in the Elise too, and like you, I'm coming to the same conclusion that this could well be end game sound in the Elise, so I can only imagine how good this combo sounds in Euforia, well in the not too distant future I'll be able to find out for myself! :beyersmile:. Congrats cf you've found a very special sound! :thumbsup:.

20190218_135735[1507].jpg

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #5,593 of 11,472
These are the ones you are looking for?
https://www.btb-elektronik.de/artikel/523872

Hi OH...a very interesting find you have there! And thanks for sharing the info.

To me, it looks more like the Philips (Dutch) stable EL3N (side contact base) but with the 'German steel' base, as per the 'normal' EL11. The 'true' EL11 was developed by Telefunken, with same specs as the EL3N...the main (obvious) difference however being that the Philips stable EL3N tubes used oval plates (anodes), and the Germans round plates.

I - and others - found that the EL3N was a much 'darker' tube than the EL11...the latter also with a more balanced/'clearer' presentation, and which most folks preferred. I myself was fortunate enough to find a very rare version that had mesh plates - a black glass version of the Valvo EL11, and an Australian Philips EL3NG, also with black glass....both with oval shaped plates lol! And these came somewhere between the 'normal' EL3N and EL11 in sound. I suspect the tube in your photo will have the oval plate also, rather than the TFK round design...but I might be wrong lol! :wink:. So I doubt anyone here, or Elise owners, know in just which camp they reside alas!

And although the 'true' Telefunken (West Germany) EL11 is regarded as the 'best' sounding, the East German RFT version is almost as good IMHO. And there could well be tubes sporting the TFK logo that were actually made in East Germany!!! :rolling_eyes:...CHEERS!...CJ

H1 I've been listening to the same combo, Philips balloon coated 38's and NOS TFK EL11 for the last few days and I feel exactly the same, sounds spectacular in the Elise too, and like you, I'm coming to the same conclusion that this could well be end game sound in the Elise, so I can only imagine how good this combo sounds in Euforia, well in the not too distant future I'll be able to find out for myself! :beyersmile:. Congrats cf you've found a very special sound! :thumbsup:.

Hi Scutey.

NOS TFKs? With Philips coated 38s?...methinks you've struck gold already lol! :ksc75smile:. And yes indeed, just you wait 'til you hear that combo in Euforia...I'm sure you'll be lost for words - in total shock!!! :wink:...be warned!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:...CJ

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #5,594 of 11,472

Hi Scutey. Very nice set-up. I've settled for similar in Elise although I had to give up on my balloon EL38's due to a hissing I could not loose. Mine is now running on Adzam EL11 and normal Mullard EL38's as powers (also like EL12's as drivers) For the time being I'm running Euforia on Sylvania 6SN7WGT drivers and Tung Sol 5998 powers a combination I'm finding just to my taste, but still have a few EL38's spare just in case I fancy a change. Hope the post is kind to you.

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,595 of 11,472
Hi OH...a very interesting find you have there! And thanks for sharing the info.

To me, it looks more like the Philips (Dutch) stable EL3N (side contact base) but with the 'German steel' base, as per the 'normal' EL11. The 'true' EL11 was developed by Telefunken, with same specs as the EL3N...the main (obvious) difference however being that the Philips stable EL3N tubes used oval plates (anodes), and the Germans round plates.

I - and others - found that the EL3N was a much 'darker' tube than the EL11...the latter also with a more balanced/'clearer' presentation, and which most folks preferred. I myself was fortunate enough to find a very rare version that had mesh plates - a black glass version of the Valvo EL11, and an Australian Philips EL3NG, also with black glass....both with oval shaped plates lol! And these came somewhere between the 'normal' EL3N and EL11 in sound. I suspect the tube in your photo will have the oval plate also, rather than the TFK round design...but I might be wrong lol! :wink:. So I doubt anyone here, or Elise owners, know in just which camp they reside alas!

And although the 'true' Telefunken (West Germany) EL11 is regarded as the 'best' sounding, the East German RFT version is almost as good IMHO. And there could well be tubes sporting the TFK logo that were actually made in East Germany!!! :rolling_eyes:...CHEERS!...CJ

Hi Scutey.

NOS TFKs? With Philips coated 38s?...methinks you've struck gold already lol! :ksc75smile:. And yes indeed, just you wait 'til you hear that combo in Euforia...I'm sure you'll be lost for words - in total shock!!! :wink:...be warned!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:...CJ
Think I was lucky with those TFK EL11's h1, bought them from German eBay about eight months ago, they've spent all this time languishing in a box (until last week!), there was a few ropey ones but they were the only NOS I could find, fortunately they were exactly as the seller had described, and in pristine condition, think I paid about 60 Euro. Regarding currant EL11 for sale, there are a few used on sale on German eBay but that seems to be about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back