Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
May 14, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #4,486 of 11,519
I got this response from Xuling, who seems to actually have silver material. But I don't know how to answer, so will one of you, or possibly @Oskari or @2359glenn be able to post an answer to this?
You may want to ask h1 since he already made this tube work in the Euforia.
Hi,thank your old friend, I can make it. But please tell me which using triode pin 1/2/3 or pin 4/5/6? the Elise amp last EL3N adatper octal triode pins are parallel connect. Because EL32 tube is pentode tube, if you know this i must redesign new board agaiin.
Thanks!

Above is the diagram she provided, and this is the tube specs sheet I found for it:
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0303.htm

May 14, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #4,492 of 11,519
OK

EL32 to 6SN7

top cap to pin 1
pin 2 to pin 8
pin 3&4 tie together to pin 2
pin 7 to pin 7
pin 8 to pin 3

This should work in a FA amp
Glenn

Many thanks for your input Glenn...you are, of course, right with your pin info.

But since the control grids, cathodes and anodes of both triodes are connected in parallel in our amps, the EL32 top cap (control grid) can also be connected to 6SN7 pin #4 instead, which I myself do. As the feed for the power tubes is taken from the driver's cathode, I also connect EL32 pin 8 (cathode) to either 6SN7 pin #3 for the right-hand tube, or #6 for the left-hand - but either will do (I'm just being picky here...this simply matches exactly where the feed for the powers is taken lol!).

And @DecentLevi , plus those who may be interested, if there aren't too many F-A takers for the EL32 etc. tube, I am happy to make some adapters for folks...using UP-OCC silver and copper wire; nice gold-plated sockets; gold-plated-pin bases (as does Mrs X), and gold-plated-connector top caps...all of which would indeed be pricey otherwise!! Once I manage to get cf's adapters done, the next should be easier/quicker lol! I shall only charge for materials...but any extra contribution towards labour won't be refused!! :wink:...CHEERS!...CJ

May 14, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #4,493 of 11,519
Having been the recipient of a couple of his adaptations, I can attest to his workmanship. He adapted two el 11 tubes and two EL 12 Spez tubes, took the glass tube completely off from the stock socket and replaced and reconfigured new sockets to fit amp. Nice, neat and no external adapters needed on these. Talk about plug and play!

May 14, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,494 of 11,519
Many thanks for your input Glenn...you are, of course, right with your pin info.

But since the control grids, cathodes and anodes of both triodes are connected in parallel in our amps, the EL32 top cap (control grid) can also be connected to 6SN7 pin #4 instead, which I myself do. As the feed for the power tubes is taken from the driver's cathode, I also connect EL32 pin 8 (cathode) to either 6SN7 pin #3 for the right-hand tube, or #6 for the left-hand - but either will do (I'm just being picky here...this simply matches exactly where the feed for the powers is taken lol!).

And @DecentLevi , plus those who may be interested, if there aren't too many F-A takers for the EL32 etc. tube, I am happy to make some adapters for folks...using UP-OCC silver and copper wire; nice gold-plated sockets; gold-plated-pin bases (as does Mrs X), and gold-plated-connector top caps...all of which would indeed be pricey otherwise!! Once I manage to get cf's adapters done, the next should be easier/quicker lol! I shall only charge for materials...but any extra contribution towards labour won't be refused!! :wink:...CHEERS!...CJ

It shouldn't really matter what triode section you hook to as they are in parallel.
I used to make adapters no time now busy building amps and can't compete with the sellers in China.
I refuse to do it for nothing my time is worth something. And some of the adapters from China are cheaper then I can buy the parts to make them fore.

May 14, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4,495 of 11,519
Having been the recipient of a couple of his adaptations, I can attest to his workmanship. He adapted two el 11 tubes and two EL 12 Spez tubes, took the glass tube completely off from the stock socket and replaced and reconfigured new sockets to fit amp. Nice, neat and no external adapters needed on these. Talk about plug and play!

Thanks for your kind endorsement cf...these adapters will be the best ever lol :L3000:...especially with UP-OCC silver wire inside!!...(and I do firmly believe that their construction/materials used does make a difference to the final sound!! :smile_phones:). Have today worked out the 'system' and potential pitfalls (there are always some to watch out for - this task is NOT 'as simple as it gets'!!! :wink:)...so things should be easier from now on. Just need to wait for top caps from Hong Kong now!...

It shouldn't really matter what triode section you hook to as they are in parallel.
I used to make adapters no time now busy building amps and can't compete with the sellers in China.
I refuse to do it for nothing my time is worth something. And some of the adapters from China are cheaper then I can buy the parts to make them fore.

I don't blame you one bit Glenn...you certainly must indeed be a busy fellow! All the best to you...:darthsmile:

ps. Those 'cheapies' from China are things I personally wouldn't want to go anywhere near lol...but they have helped folks try tubes they otherwise would never be able to...:ksc75smile:...

May 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #4,496 of 11,519
Many years ago I tried some cheapies on some tubes ( cannot remember exactly) , but they had the wires you plug on top..

Blew one tube immediately. Bought another tube, waited for it to come and I plugged it in and it blew again.

I'm sticking with MRS X

May 14, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #4,497 of 11,519
Hi guys, thanks so much for your input. I'll send this info. over to Ms. X and double confirm if she has the higher quality gold/silver plated materials available. I'm sort of leaning towards the 'China solution' so I can still hopefully receive an adapter before I may move again, but hope the quality may be at least near as good as from H1.

Meanwhile I've just discovered astonishing performance from 6x 6BL7 (externally powered) + EL12 - an ultra performer with SERIOUSly proper refinement in spades... of spades that has perhaps given a backseat to hundreds of combos that came before it. Seriously underrated, but unwaveringly positive reception from those who were fortunate enough to try it on both Elise and Euforia. I'll tell ya if the CV1052 is able to sound any better than THIS, I may need a 6-pack to calm me down, or to cancel any plans of ever upgrading amps again!!! :o2smile:

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #4,498 of 11,519
Hi Johnnysound,
The main reason I became interested in the 6F8G tube is that the Tung Sol variant is supposed to sound the same as the TS 6SN7 black round plate tube which is very highly regarded and unfortunately very expensive. (There is a 12V version, the 12SN7GT BRP as well, but those are also high priced.)
The TS 6F8G comes as flat plate and round plate, but according to UT they sound the same. I found a lot of four 6F8G tubes with one Tung Sol, one Raytheon, one Philco (Sylvania) and an unknown brand Radiocoin. By looking at the pictures it seemed to me that the Radiocoin could be a rebranded TS, and when I received the tubes I confirmed that it was indeed a Tung Sol tube. Both are flat plate tubes.
The sound is unique and the best word I can think of to describe it is "creamy." Wide soundstage, very good detail, even FR and that smooth creamy presentation....
The Raytheon and Philco sound good as well. As always you need to find the right power tubes to pair them with. At the time of pairing I used the Cetron 6336B but was subsequently advised that they could harm my amp (even with external power and all cooling and ventilation precautions) so I stopped using them.
My advice on getting these tubes is to try to find an inexpensive pair (not necessarily TS) and try them out. You also need special adapters which adds to the expense.
There is another tube that is very similar but with higher gain (similar to 6SN7 vs 6SL7) - the 6C8G. Not 100% sure if it is compatible with the Elise/Euforia, but not that expensive. Here is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6C8G-6F8G-...109220&hash=item4b435fdbef:g:oRwAAOSw-0xYaUv2
I haven't tried it yet but may be a good possibility....
ATM trying another driver tube that also was a predecessor to the 6SN7 - the 6N7. It is a metal tube (I am told that there is a glass envelope inside). Since it does not have any visual appeal it is very inexpensive and you can get a WW2 NOS pair for $10 or less. Testing a Ken-Rad 1944 pair now.
These tubes need special adapters as well - ECC31 to 6SN7.
If you want the TS 6F8G be patient and keep on looking for rebranded ones such as ART and Radiocoin - I paid $84 for the four tubes including shipping.
Good luck!

Hi Mordy, many thanks for your advice on the 6F8G. I also became interested in the TS variant of this tube because it is supossed to sound very similar to the famous TS 6SN7 BGRP, but it is quite expensive. However, other brands are (relatively) inexpensive, so I´ll try some and let you know...

May 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,499 of 11,519
OK so looks like Mrs. X can make the CV1052 / VT52 adapter, but here's what she has to work with: gold plated brass pins and silver plated copper wires. I'm wondering if this would sound about as good as it gets, as long as it's wired this way throughout including internally - or if it would be still recommended for possible audible difference if going H1's route with UP-OCC silver and copper wires?

PS - Look at how UT agrees spot-on with my take on the sextet of 6BL7-class, even on a different amp :thumbsup:

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #4,500 of 11,519
Hi @DecentLevi . Sounds like Mrs X would make a very decent adapter, even if not quite the same as mine lol! :wink:. And probably very quickly too!! :ksc75smile: So she could indeed prove very helpful for those who may wish to give this tube a try, and who don't want to wait for mine.

I notice that she (they) have sold 133 adapters for EL3N and 104 for EL11/12...WOW!...never realised so many have given these tubes a try. There would appear to be many who don't subscribe to our threads lol!! But whatever, it's nice to know there are plenty who are prepared to experiment, and have listened to our comments here at head-fi!!

ps. As an aside for those interested, I notice from my own tubes, and many listed for sale, that the military ST shape CV1052 seem to be of a slightly better build quality than the 'commercial' EL32...presumably the often case of military choosing the best of a production run, or actually specifying certain criteria to the factory?

Whatever, just thought I'd mention it...:ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...

pps. As an update, further burn-in is confirming that the CV1052 (ST shape, at least!) delivers more in the bass and mids area than the EL11...which I'm still getting accustomed to lol! Fortunately, the tremendous spatiality and 'air' of my mesh-plate tubes is also developing nicely...was beginning to have some very slight doubts! :wink:...BFN..CJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back