Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #4,396 of 11,519
While these recent new tube developments seem intriguing, I for one would prefer only to go this route if perhaps these new tubes are more on the 'dry' or solid-state like sound, as opposed to another over-saturated / euphonic / sweet sounding ST-shaped tube as are most of those have been so far; such as EL12 Spez or Tung Sol 5998

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,397 of 11,519
Hi Glenn...thought you might be tempted - you too love a challenge/new tube methinks lol! :wink:

I still can't get over how good these (triode-strapped) pentodes keep performing so well in our OTL circuits - to Feliks-Audio's amazement also!! Good luck with your own experiments...(doubt this tube is quite as good as the 4-pin, direct heated VT-52 (with dash!), but it sure sounds good to me...at a tiny fraction of the cost! I look forward of course to seeing just how 2 of these wonders perform together...but partnering a mesh-plate EL3NG (Australian), it is already sounding VERY good indeed...:beyersmile:...fingers crossed!

I will likely do EL32 driving a EL32 like I do with the EL3N. The same tube will make the same distortion and the output of the driver
distortion will be 180 deg out of phase from the output tube canceling out the distortion.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #4,398 of 11,519
If you do get Xuling to fashion an adapter for this, I do recommend she use higher caliber conductors. Recent critical listening / comparisons from using a standard-class pair of tubes on a 6x externally powered adapter has shown me there is a subtle reduction in dynamics / 'snap', and soundstange when going through an adapter with a PCB, vs. directly in the Euforia. Different conductors affect the signal differntly, and with the 6x adapter from Xuling anyway, it seems to use aluminum and copper (perhaps), which would definitely contribute to an altered sound... the Euforia is based on improved materials anyway so just maybe we can convince her to use higher caliber conductors in this, and even other adapters too!

China is definitely the easier way out...but the method I mentioned shouldn't be too daunting?...:ksc75smile:...

Afraid I have to agree with you here DL...the quality of any connections must have an overall bearing on final performance - especially as one upgrades the rest of the system...and the fewer the better IMHO! I personally only use pure silver and copper (now UP-OCC) wires when adapting tubes, and always try to have them make direct metal-to-metal contact with the tube's own wiring. I'm quite sure this makes a good difference to the final outcome...assuming very good wire up- and down-stream!

Mrs Xuling's move away from wire to PCB inside their adapters was very much a step in the wrong direction, as far as I'm concerned...But perhaps she might be coerced back into using good wire lol!! :wink:

I'm quite glad somebody agrees with me on this, and would love to have better quality adapters, especially with any 'new' tubes. Though I'm not sure if silver wire would color the sound or not - possibly if she could use the same type of wiring found inside the Euforia that would be best. Also however it may require some special configuration if this type of wire can't be printed into a PCB

May 1, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #4,399 of 11,519
While these recent new tube developments seem intriguing, I for one would prefer only to go this route if perhaps these new tubes are more on the 'dry' or solid-state like sound, as opposed to another over-saturated / euphonic / sweet sounding ST-shaped tube as are most of those have been so far; such as EL12 Spez or Tung Sol 5998

Hi DL.

I must say I find your comments a little intriguing...in my own setup, the sound is now as close to my friend's Questyle CMA800 SS amp as I would ever want to get lol!!...(the Neotech UP-OCC silver and copper wires helping here also). Most folks go for tube amps precisely for the more 'euphonic' sound, as opposed to typical SS! I suspect, from what you're saying, that solid state might well suit your own particular tastes/requirements a lot better! :wink: And I can wholeheartedly recommend Questyle's products, after hearing the CMA 800! :L3000:...

Re. 3rd party adapters, the wire to match Euforia would indeed have to be silver, as that is what F-A use in this amp lol! :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #4,400 of 11,519
I will likely do EL32 driving a EL32 like I do with the EL3N. The same tube will make the same distortion and the output of the driver
distortion will be 180 deg out of phase from the output tube canceling out the distortion.

Interesting, Glenn...at the moment I find one driving my EL12 Spezial (along with the EL3NG/EL12 Sp) to be doing so flawlessly. After I have two as drivers working, I may well see how they compare with the Spezials as powers also!..(although the EL32 is less powerful). Look forward to your findings...:gs1000smile:

May 1, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #4,401 of 11,519
Hi h1,
Thanks for the info but I'm with mordy on this!, not sure if my knowledge stretches that far plus I'm as nimble fingered as an gorilla wearing boxing gloves!.

That's a shame Scutey...far less 'modifying' than I thought/feared, but if one doesn't feel comfortable with it, better to play safe lol! :ksc75smile:

Depending on how I find 2 performing as drivers, I might well see if MrsX can come up with a better-wired adapter...or see if I can find the time to help out a few fellow pioneers lol! :wink:

May 1, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,402 of 11,519
That's a shame Scutey...far less 'modifying' than I thought/feared, but if one doesn't feel comfortable with it, better to play safe lol! :ksc75smile:

Depending on how I find 2 performing as drivers, I might well see if MrsX can come up with a better-wired adapter...or see if I can find the time to help out a few fellow pioneers lol! :wink:
It is really, it's the sort of thing a few years ago I could have attempted/done.

I'm always interested in new tube types so I certainly will be very keen on how they pan out and, good luck with your trials h1!.

May 2, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #4,403 of 11,519
Hi DL.

I must say I find your comments a little intriguing...in my own setup, the sound is now as close to my friend's Questyle CMA800 SS amp as I would ever want to get lol!!...(the Neotech UP-OCC silver and copper wires helping here also). Most folks go for tube amps precisely for the more 'euphonic' sound, as opposed to typical SS! I suspect, from what you're saying, that solid state might well suit your own particular tastes/requirements a lot better! :wink: And I can wholeheartedly recommend Questyle's products, after hearing the CMA 800! :L3000:...

Re. 3rd party adapters, the wire to match Euforia would indeed have to be silver, as that is what F-A use in this amp lol! :ksc75smile:

I tried that at the Questyle booth in recent years and was quite impressed. Their amps use 'current mode' technology which improves the damping by automatically adjusting the current according to headphone impedance which also helps their amps to sound good with more 'cans'. OTOH I was nowhere near as impressed as I was with flagship tube amps such as EC Studio or Woo Audio WA33. I lean towards the 'cold truth', edgy or dry sound so a tube amp can do too, I've just gotta roll more tubes to find my sonic preference.

PS - This being the Euforia amp thread, I thought it would only be fitting to mention that there is also a Euforia tube DAC! I noticed this from the Glenn Amp thread. I know nothing other than the spec sheet on this, but Euforia DAC + Euforia amp must have some 'synergy' LOL
http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/DSD-Euforia_DAC.html

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #4,404 of 11,519
It is really, it's the sort of thing a few years ago I could have attempted/done.

I'm always interested in new tube types so I certainly will be very keen on how they pan out and, good luck with your trials h1!.

I'm sure this tube is going to be another winner, Scutey, so if you are indeed interested (and you sound like a pioneer lol!), I shall be making the odd adapter or two in the near future...depending on shipment from the Far East!! And shall be using top grade wires lol! :ksc75smile:

I tried that at the Questyle booth in recent years and was quite impressed. Their amps use 'current mode' technology which improves the damping by automatically adjusting the current according to headphone impedance which also helps their amps to sound good with more 'cans'. OTOH I was nowhere near as impressed as I was with flagship tube amps such as EC Studio or Woo Audio WA33. I lean towards the 'cold truth', edgy or dry sound so a tube amp can do too, I've just gotta roll more tubes to find my sonic preference.

PS - This being the Euforia amp thread, I thought it would only be fitting to mention that there is also a Euforia tube DAC! I noticed this from the Glenn Amp thread. I know nothing other than the spec sheet on this, but Euforia DAC + Euforia amp must have some 'synergy' LOL
http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/DSD-Euforia_DAC.html

Hmmm DL...we're entering totally different territory with the likes of the WA33! Looks, and appears, wonderful...but starting at $7999 for the 'standard' model, and $14,999 for the 'Elite', one might want to wait and see what F-A turn up with their new 2A3, fully balanced flagship amp - at a much more competitive price I should imagine! :gs1000smile: (Still waiting for more info on this however...).

And fancy Lampizator making a tube DAC also called 'Euforia'...two organizations using the same name?...hmmm!...But it does look very good...would love to hear an A/B comparison with the Hugo2...

May 2, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4,405 of 11,519
I'm sure this tube is going to be another winner, Scutey, so if you are indeed interested (and you sound like a pioneer lol!), I shall be making the odd adapter or two in the near future...depending on shipment from the Far East!! And shall be using top grade wires lol! :ksc75smile:
Hi h1,

Yes definitely interested, count me in, I'd like to think I have the pioneering spirit! , imo this is what makes tube rolling so enjoyable and exciting so thank you for including me!, you are a gent sir!.

May 2, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,406 of 11,519
Hi h1,

Yes definitely interested, count me in, I'd like to think I have the pioneering spirit! , imo this is what makes tube rolling so enjoyable and exciting so thank you for including me!, you are a gent sir!.

You're right about tube rolling, S...but it can become somewhat addictive lol! :wink:

And many would rather call me mad...which might well be more correct!!

@connieflyer will (bravely!) be trying both the ST-shaped tubes and the straight-sided ones - both can be termed 'CV1052' - the latter much more readily available, and still dirt cheap...there seem to be fewer of the ST type about, going really cheap, at the moment...:triportsad:...(how I got 3 NOS for £8 recently I'll never know - but with tubes, you just have to keep looking...then look again!!). And so it will be very interesting to see what cf thinks of 'em lol...:ksc75smile:...

ps. The US version is often termed 'VT52', but must not be confused with the 4-pin, direct-heated, much more expensive VT-52 (note the dash!)

May 2, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,407 of 11,519
You're right about tube rolling, S...but it can become somewhat addictive lol! :wink:

And many would rather call me mad...which might well be more correct!!

@connieflyer will (bravely!) be trying both the ST-shaped tubes and the straight-sided ones - both can be termed 'CV1052' - the latter much more readily available, and still dirt cheap...there seem to be fewer of the ST type about, going really cheap, at the moment...:triportsad:...(how I got 3 NOS for £8 recently I'll never know - but with tubes, you just have to keep looking...then look again!!). And so it will be very interesting to see what cf thinks of 'em lol...:ksc75smile:...

ps. The US version is often termed 'VT52', but must not be confused with the 4-pin, direct-heated, much more expensive VT-52 (note the dash!)

h1, regarding tube rolling is it actually possible to buy 1/pair of tubes and leave it at that?, personally I think it's impossible!, I now have amassed 4 boxes of tubes in just 6 months and that's not including a box full of leftovers from my LD mk III days!, perhaps their should be a tube rolling addicts anonymous! :smile_phones:.

I've been looking the last day looking for those ST shape which seem to be few and far between, some of which are quite a bit pricier than you paid, (mordy will be envious!) so I'll pick up a pair of the straight bottle from Langrex, at £3.50 each you cant really go wrong.

Good luck also to @connieflyer on those trials, fortune favours the brave! :ksc75smile:

May 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #4,410 of 11,519
H1, glad to see your sense of humor has not failed you. Is there any news from FA on the new amp? Eagerly awaiting any news. One thing with the new amp, the 2A3, at least tube rolling won't be an option! Should save me some money there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back