Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #4,381 of 11,519
I would like to second DL's opinion, I thought when I heard them compared, it was only me. I bought the straight base and think it was just a cut above, not much, but to me it was better.
Hmmm last year I owned both a genuine pair of both curved and straight-form base GEC 6AS7G and I actually preferred the straight form one - though likely because the curved one wasn't burned in yet. Irreplaceable, timeless performance from those.

Earlier this month I was trying my hand as a DJ in Laos. You can listen to 2 of my mixtapes of different styles. These sound a lot better on the Euforia than the equipment I was using abroad, and HQ .flac downloads are available. A good DAC such as the Modi 2 multibit with a USB component for improved fidelity also helps in a live performance. The first mix was meant to showcase some variety of electronic music, while the 2nd is a mesh of lounge / tribal rhythms.

And this week I'm (in the US), more of a tube aficionado listening to 'world music', and discovering how good old REM and Pat Benatar sound on a good tube amp such as Euforia

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #4,382 of 11,519
Hi h1, great find!, so am I right in thinking the 6F8G/6C8G adapter can be used?.

Hi scutey...and thanks...this is turning out to be a fabulous tube, even with just a few more hours on it!

Problem is there's no adapter for it out there yet...and no, you can't use one for the 6F8G/6C8G alas, as these are normal triodes, the EL32/CV1052 being another (in our case) triode-strapped pentode, and the pinout is different..shame...

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,383 of 11,519
As a further update on the EL32/CV1052 tube, after @connieflyer 's findings, there is also the straight-sided CV1052 - again available for peanuts. My own experience has however been with the 'ST' (shoulder) type, so I'm afraid I don't know if the former performs the same.

There is also a bit of confusion re. the equivalent 'VT52', which is supposed to be the same. Also out there is the VT-52 (note the dash!), which is a direct-heated, 4-pin tube that is totally different-spec'd, and cannot of course be used in our amps...(and is silly money lol!!).

As previously mentioned however, this CV1052 of mine gets better by the hour, and already eclipses all other non-EL tubes I have tried...amazing!!

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,384 of 11,519
As a further update on the EL32/CV1052 tube, after @connieflyer 's findings, there is also the straight-sided CV1052 - again available for peanuts. My own experience has however been with the 'ST' (shoulder) type, so I'm afraid I don't know if the former performs the same.

There is also a bit of confusion re. the equivalent 'VT52', which is supposed to be the same. Also out there is the VT-52 (note the dash!), which is a direct-heated, 4-pin tube that is totally different-spec'd, and cannot of course be used in our amps...(and is silly money lol!!).

As previously mentioned however, this CV1052 of mine gets better by the hour, and already eclipses all other non-EL tubes I have tried...amazing!!
Sounds like another winner h1, I'm sure you can sniff out these potential undiscovered gems!, all we need now is for mrs Xuling to fashion an adapter!.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #4,387 of 11,519
There's always a snag! :triportsad:
Hi h1,
A cursory check showed a large number of tubes for sale, even in 50 tube lots!
Unfortunately I am not handy with electronics DIY so can't do anything without a commercially available adapter.....
Unless the 6F8G adapter can be modified with little wires like in the old MKIII days...

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4,388 of 11,519
There's always a snag! :triportsad:

Re. your query whether 6F8G/6C8G adapters could be used, there is a way, as we used to do in the old days with the LittleDot MKIV and III...as mordy alluded to below. But really only for those comfortable with such things lol! See what you think when I explain further...

Hi h1,
A cursory check showed a large number of tubes for sale, even in 50 tube lots!
Unfortunately I am not handy with electronics DIY so can't do anything without a commercially available adapter.....
Unless the 6F8G adapter can be modified with little wires like in the old MKIII days...

Hi mordy.

Looking at the various pin-outs again, your suggestion is in fact not too difficult...the only snag actually being grid2 to anode connection in the EL32/CV1052. So we would have to connect EL32 pin #3 to #4, but make absolutely sure said pin 4 was cut down as far as possible and then covered securely with insulating tape, so as not to make any contact whatsoever with the corresponding area on the adapter's socket (which could also be covered in insulating tape, just to be sure!).

And for those who may not be aware, the tube's pins are numbered from 1 to 8 with the tube turned upside down, starting from the pin immediately to the left of the locating protrusion - as you look down, and moving clockwise. But the pin numbers move (and start) in the opposite direction, as you look down at the top of the adapter (inversion principle!). And so this should be easy for those used to such modifications lol!

And as you said, there are still plenty to be found at what are silly (cheap!) prices...especially considering how good my first tube is now sounding. It has in fact already nearly matched the more powerful Valvo EL11 partnering it, without the slightest hint of noise/hum...a totally 'black' background, in fact. And the bass and soundstage are indeed developing as expected...along with all the other best attributes of the EL11 and EL3N - quite amazing...and somewhat disturbing, at these prices lol!! :wink:

As usual however, any such modifications are done at one's own risk!

ps. Those lots of 50 tubes, plus those really cheap ones seem to be the straight-sided version...mine are the 'ST' (shoulder) type (which are usually preferable over straight tubes), and hence more expensive.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #4,389 of 11,519
Re. your query whether 6F8G/6C8G adapters could be used, there is a way, as we used to do in the old days with the LittleDot MKIV and III...as mordy alluded to below. But really only for those comfortable with such things lol! See what you think when I explain further...

Hi mordy.

Looking at the various pin-outs again, your suggestion is in fact not too difficult...the only snag actually being grid2 to anode connection in the EL32/CV1052. So we would have to connect EL32 pin #3 to #4, but make absolutely sure said pin 4 was cut down as far as possible and then covered securely with insulating tape, so as not to make any contact whatsoever with the corresponding area on the adapter's socket (which could also be covered in insulating tape, just to be sure!).

And for those who may not be aware, the tube's pins are numbered from 1 to 8 with the tube turned upside down, starting from the pin immediately to the left of the locating protrusion - as you look down, and moving clockwise. But the pin numbers move (and start) in the opposite direction, as you look down at the top of the adapter (inversion principle!). And so this should be easy for those used to such modifications lol!

And as you said, there are still plenty to be found at what are silly (cheap!) prices...especially considering how good my first tube is now sounding. It has in fact already nearly matched the more powerful Valvo EL11 partnering it, without the slightest hint of noise/hum...a totally 'black' background, in fact. And the bass and soundstage are indeed developing as expected...along with all the other best attributes of the EL11 and EL3N - quite amazing...and somewhat disturbing, at these prices lol!! :wink:

As usual however, any such modifications are done at one's own risk!

ps. Those lots of 50 tubes, plus those really cheap ones seem to be the straight-sided version...mine are the 'ST' (shoulder) type (which are usually preferable over straight tubes), and hence more expensive.

You have to stop coming up with good sounding tubes. You know I will have to try it!!!!!
They are really output pentodes and if they sound close to a VT52 you will have found a wonder.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #4,391 of 11,519
Hi h1,
Methinks we have to call upon Mrs Xuling to make an adapter - too complicated for me!
I still have some tubes with cut off pins from my MKIII days, but I am not going there.....

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #4,392 of 11,519
If you do get Xuling to fashion an adapter for this, I do recommend she use higher caliber conductors. Recent critical listening / comparisons from using a standard-class pair of tubes on a 6x externally powered adapter has shown me there is a subtle reduction in dynamics / 'snap', and soundstange when going through an adapter with a PCB, vs. directly in the Euforia. Different conductors affect the signal differntly, and with the 6x adapter from Xuling anyway, it seems to use aluminum and copper (perhaps), which would definitely contribute to an altered sound... the Euforia is based on improved materials anyway so just maybe we can convince her to use higher caliber conductors in this, and even other adapters too!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4,393 of 11,519
You have to stop coming up with good sounding tubes. You know I will have to try it!!!!!
They are really output pentodes and if they sound close to a VT52 you will have found a wonder.

Hi Glenn...thought you might be tempted - you too love a challenge/new tube methinks lol! :wink:

I still can't get over how good these (triode-strapped) pentodes keep performing so well in our OTL circuits - to Feliks-Audio's amazement also!! Good luck with your own experiments...(doubt this tube is quite as good as the 4-pin, direct heated VT-52 (with dash!), but it sure sounds good to me...at a tiny fraction of the cost! I look forward of course to seeing just how 2 of these wonders perform together...but partnering a mesh-plate EL3NG (Australian), it is already sounding VERY good indeed...:beyersmile:...fingers crossed!

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #4,394 of 11,519
Hi h1,
Methinks we have to call upon Mrs Xuling to make an adapter - too complicated for me!
I still have some tubes with cut off pins from my MKIII days, but I am not going there.....

China is definitely the easier way out...but the method I mentioned shouldn't be too daunting?...:ksc75smile:...

If you do get Xuling to fashion an adapter for this, I do recommend she use higher caliber conductors. Recent critical listening / comparisons from using a standard-class pair of tubes on a 6x externally powered adapter has shown me there is a subtle reduction in dynamics / 'snap', and soundstange when going through an adapter with a PCB, vs. directly in the Euforia. Different conductors affect the signal differntly, and with the 6x adapter from Xuling anyway, it seems to use aluminum and copper (perhaps), which would definitely contribute to an altered sound... the Euforia is based on improved materials anyway so just maybe we can convince her to use higher caliber conductors in this, and even other adapters too!

Afraid I have to agree with you here DL...the quality of any connections must have an overall bearing on final performance - especially as one upgrades the rest of the system...and the fewer the better IMHO! I personally only use pure silver and copper (now UP-OCC) wires when adapting tubes, and always try to have them make direct metal-to-metal contact with the tube's own wiring. I'm quite sure this makes a good difference to the final outcome...assuming very good wire up- and down-stream!

Mrs Xuling's move away from wire to PCB inside their adapters was very much a step in the wrong direction, as far as I'm concerned...But perhaps she might be coerced back into using good wire lol!! :wink:

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #4,395 of 11,519
Hi h1,
Hi h1,
Thanks for the info but I'm with mordy on this!, not sure if my knowledge stretches that far plus I'm as nimble fingered as an gorilla wearing boxing gloves!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back