Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #4,051 of 11,472
take care of yourself PCT, health first, everything else later

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,053 of 11,472
Hello everyone. I've been dealing with some health issues and candidly haven't felt like posting lately. But I have been lurking here on almost a daily basis. Tomorrow I'm going to try to attend a local meet. This link has a pretty good list of what will probably be there: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-mini-con-arizona-head-fi-meet-october-21st-2017.857544/

I'm going to try to take my Euforia with Sylvania 6SN7 WGTdrivers and GEC6AS7 power tubes, but don't know if I'll have the energy to get it set up. I'll try to report back here if I hear anything worthy of note.

Hello old chump, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Do get better soon. The Arizona meet needs you.

Those brown base drivers and powers will do nicely. They are one of my favourites on Euforia.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,055 of 11,472
Hello everyone. I've been dealing with some health issues and candidly haven't felt like posting lately. But I have been lurking here on almost a daily basis. Tomorrow I'm going to try to attend a local meet. This link has a pretty good list of what will probably be there: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-mini-con-arizona-head-fi-meet-october-21st-2017.857544/

I'm going to try to take my Euforia with Sylvania 6SN7 WGTdrivers and GEC6AS7 power tubes, but don't know if I'll have the energy to get it set up. I'll try to report back here if I hear anything worthy of note.

Hey pct...didn't you know you're not allowed to be ill, so I order you to BE BETTER VERY SOON...if not already lol!! :ksc75smile:
Hope you are indeed well back on the road, mon ami, and that you managed to enjoy to the full your meet...if so, we look forward to your musings! :gs1000smile:...

Now then, much to my surprise...finally! (even though I believe @Oskari seemed to think this tube shouldn't be far off!), your Tesla 4654 is working absolutely perfectly in my Euforia, and is singing like a canary as partner to a TFK EL12 Spez....no untoward signs whatsoever - the opposite, in fact! As with the Spezs, the best sound I personally have ever managed to coax out of Euforia, complete with the most deathly silent, black background that most vinyl lovers can only dream of lol! :wink: :L3000:...wonderful! Shan't know 100% for sure if they are indeed just as good as the Spezs until I have a pair running, but initial impressions are very hopeful. And at prices far cheaper than the German design. I suspect this 4654 is almost a top anode version of the Philips EL6!

And research hints at this tube being extremely well regarded of old, but simply lost in the mists of time. It's very interesting to see an adapter available for the mighty EL34, which also hints at something special...who otherwise would want to even bother lol?!! And so the treadmill continues!!!...:smile_phones:...

Speaking of which - and is sure to tickle your fancy, O! - I am indeed going to go ahead with my 'aha' moment from LittleDot days (and HD650s) and take my recently acquired second pair of T1s directly inside the amp... given the surprising result with the LD, and my interconnects into Euforia!! Naturally, my warranty is now well and truly voided lol!!

I have my Neotech UPOCC teflon coated solid silver (2 gauges) and copper (1) wires at the ready, and battle shall commence tomorrow...wish me luck?!! :wink:...how much would such a 12-wire HP cable cost in the marketplace?!!! By all accounts, this last(?!) venture should take Euforia's sound into really hallowed territory...or so I should darned well hope!!! Will let you know...either way!...CHEERS!...CJ

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #4,058 of 11,472
You're so hardcore, CJ! :smile:

Your posts are always so pithy...and brief, mon ami....I LOVE 'EM!!! :ksc75smile:...wish I could take your lead...(as do many others, no doubt lol!! :wink::smile_phones:).

Anyway, you might(?!) be glad to know I haven't broken into my poor amp again just yet...was too impatient to hear the results!! Mind you, attaching 12 solid wires (even with twists!) to a stereo HP jack probably took even longer in the end lol!:unamused:. However, what can I say, but (sorry DL!)...WOWEEE!!! :L3000: :darthsmile: :jecklinsmile:...OMG!!!...and this is with one of those connectors I've so come to hate!! (albeit a very good one used for the T1).

Perhaps not quite the leap of bypassing the UPOCC interconnect connections, but significant nonetheless, and far greater than I really expected, given the reputation of the T1's stock cable.

And so once again, this single crystal Ultra Pure 'Continuous Cast' wire is proving its superiority over all else IMHO. The increased clarity, detail, tonal range, more expansive/3D soundstage (just for starters) is not just 'minimal'...it's substantial. It has transformed both Euforia and the T1s - the latter especially....any possible gripes about these cans is totally wiped away (with the help of tubes, at least, although I suspect the result would be similar for SS amps such as the Questyle CMA800).

So, for the princely sum of £350 for a set of VGC used T1s,v1 and a tad over £300 for the 24m of Neotech UPOCC (solid) silver and copper wires, Euforia is indeed now in very hallowed territory, and delivering a sound that still has me dumbfounded lol!...(could have saved myself the £350 after all and just used my own cans, but I had visions of frying the drivers...however, at least I now have 2 spare drivers if catastrophe ever strikes lol!). All I can say is, this would be a very worthwhile project for anyone with average soldering skills...plus a good deal of patience!!!...or a very good friend with same! And youtube has plenty of material on taking the T1 (gen1) apart and dealing with the wires...Beyer really should have made the cable swappable from the outset lol!! But don't forget the interconnects as well! :gs1000smile:...

Just a couple of pics for you :

P1000965.JPG P1000967.JPG

Despite the 12 wires, I was pleasantly surprised the end result wasn't much thicker or heavier than the stock cable!
A bit tricky to attach, but lots of nice silver, and a bit of copper! Most of the T1's bulk is in fact just shielding lol!! Lightly twisting the 12 teflon coated wires provides ample protection - no need even for full 'braiding'!!

H1 you have apparently taken your Euforia to heights none other have experienced with theirs!

Are you using the Tesla 4654 with an EL34 adapter, and as drivers or powers? And I wonder how they compare to your other best tubes?

Hey DL...adapter - me?!! No thanks...my usual own adapting to a different base lol! :wink::L3000:...

Used as power - I stick to the EL11 as driver. And as I've only one at the moment, partnering a TFK EL12 Spez, I can't really tell for sure if it is as good as the Spez. But initial impressions were that it seemed to be a match at least! I was impressed enough to go get my own pair of NOS tubes ('Red series' Philips stable 'RT' brand, apparently for military use) from a French ebayer who seems to have a good stock and takes offers - he accepted mine of 60 euros for the pair!). It's such a shame there isn't (yet!) a commercial adapter for 6SN7/6AS7G....

ps. I must admit my Euforia is now performing WAY beyond even just a short(ish!) time ago, and so am wondering just what the F-A guys will come up with as their (probably 2A3-based) flagship model next year lol!! :ksc75smile:)....CHEERS!...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #4,062 of 11,472

Simple Mind

I am familiar with Otis Taylor, he is local to the area (well Boulder CO, which is about 1.5 hours drive from me). Seen him three times in small bars around town. He is quite a musician, love his tribute the the plight of Native Americans on his CD "My Home Is Gone". He also loves to seek out other talented musicians and feature them on a CD...a young trumpet player is featured on the CD I mentioned.

GO, Otis :)

Cheers!

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4,064 of 11,472
Surely pitiful must be the word you're looking for. But you're pretty much the definition of hardcore: hardwire + solid core = hardcore. :wink:

And there was I thinking you might just be hinting I could be Hugh Hefner's successor lol!! :wink:...(those days are long gone, alas! :triportsad:).

Now life revolves around bits of metal and glass...sad or what, mon cher ami?!!! :ksc75smile:...(I would have said a bit safer at least...but sometimes I wonder! :rolling_eyes: :darthsmile:).

Your taste in music sure is eclectic/varied, O...but must admit I'm loving those banjos lol!! :L3000:...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #4,065 of 11,472
90921D6B-D2E7-4164-86A4-430EE73CAE8F.jpeg

As I said in previous posts, I found that the 6N1P-E driver (drop in replacement for the 6SN7, with adaptor) sounds great in the Euforia, paired with Mullards 6080. The Chathams 6080 are also a good match, but clearly below the Mullards in one single aspect: refinement. The Euforia is a difficult amp, many of my favorite tubes can sound a bit "raw" in this one. It looks like it prefers the 6080s over my beloved big bottle 6AS7Gs.

I got for about $20 a pair of NEC (Nippon Electric) 6080s, made in Japan probably in late sixties. Reading some posts around Head-Fi, they say this tube might be an RCA clone. Well, It is not. It has big copper rods, and works very hot, just like the Mullards. And the sound...a pleasant surprise. Japanese Mullards if you want, warm and extended in both highs and lows. Really good tubes...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back