Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,436 of 11,501
Exactly, the one I have is a different type 6SN7WGT.

The Sylvania Gold Brand is their premium long lasting tube rated at 10,000 hours. 10,000 hours tubes from Mullard were called Millenium, and from Amperex PQ -Premium Quality.
The GE 5 Star tubes were rated at a minimum of 7,500 hours.
And Russian tubes with a DR suffix were good for 10,000 hours as well. (EB/EB means 5,000 hours)

As far as I know, the average life span of the tubes we use in our Feliks amps is 5,000 hours. Regarding sound quality I never found any reference that these longer lasting tubes sound better - they just last longer.
And the oldies EL tubes and similar are supposed to last for 10,000 hours (unless your name is EL12 lol).

I have seen anecdotal evidence that some Telefunken tubes lasted over 100,000 hours.

I cannot remember wearing out any tubes over the 8 years I've been rolling tubes. (A few were lost to accidents such as dropping them and using faulty adapters.)

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,437 of 11,501
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,438 of 11,501
The Sylvania Gold Brand is their premium long lasting tube rated at 10,000 hours. 10,000 hours tubes from Mullard were called Millenium, and from Amperex PQ -Premium Quality.
The GE 5 Star tubes were rated at a minimum of 7,500 hours.
And Russian tubes with a DR suffix were good for 10,000 hours as well. (EB/EB means 5,000 hours)

As far as I know, the average life span of the tubes we use in our Feliks amps is 5,000 hours. Regarding sound quality I never found any reference that these longer lasting tubes sound better - they just last longer.
And the oldies EL tubes and similar are supposed to last for 10,000 hours (unless your name is EL12 lol).

I have seen anecdotal evidence that some Telefunken tubes lasted over 100,000 hours.

I cannot remember wearing out any tubes over the 8 years I've been rolling tubes. (A few were lost to accidents such as dropping them and using faulty adapters.)
But owning anything that is labeled 'gold' vintage will certainly add to pride of ownership! Else we might as well go for these, which seem to have a golden hue in their reflection! oops, sorry, my bad; it seems they're all gone now!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,439 of 11,501
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #3,440 of 11,501
Just curious if you believe the round base GEC 6AS7G is superior to the straight base, and if so why?
Because UT said so! I only have the lowly GEC 6080 (which I happen to love with the Syl6sn7w) so I couldn't possibly comment on the rightful owner of the Throne! :ksc75smile:

Btw, today I revisited the Mullard 6080 / Sylvania 6sn7wgt combo, then moved to the TS 5998 / TS 6sn7. Something about the GEC 6080 / Sylvania 6as7w that makes everything sound right in my system and to my ears—went right back to them. Also, I was able to discern that the ST bottle shape outputs something like a reverberation, which sounds like more 'air'; by comparison the 6080 is definitely tighter. But the GEC 6080 just renders everything with such authority! I wish I could compare with the A1384 so I reach a more informed conclusion. But as I said: the GEC 6080 / Sylvania 6sn7w is my Yggdrasil! Debbie Harry never sounded so right to my ears!

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,442 of 11,501
Actually I knew that. Just trying to cause trouble :jecklinsmile:
I'm trying to do the same by repeating the word "Yggdrasil"! I think if I say it three times UT will appear out of thin air!

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #3,444 of 11,501
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,445 of 11,501
Btw, wasn't it you who actually preferred the GEC 6080 over the A1384?

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,446 of 11,501
Btw, wasn't it you who actually preferred the GEC 6080 over the A1384?

Being under the care of a gold-level team of mental health professionals, I can't be held responsible for any prior post. I think I may have said I didn't feel there was much difference and wasn't sure which one I preferred. The team's prognosis for me is not encouraging, so I'm not sure I will be able to further clarify. Suffice it to say, I think they are both great tubes. And it does seem to me that tube choice in Euforia is less critical than for Elise, because just about everything I try in Euforia sounds good to me. But admittedly I'm pretty much sticking to the section of my tube stable which is home to my generally highly rated drivers and power tubes. The rest of my tubes are out to pasture enjoying retirement.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3,447 of 11,501
Being under the care of a gold-level team of mental health professionals, I can't be held responsible for any prior post. I think I may have said I didn't feel there was much difference and wasn't sure which one I preferred. The team's prognosis for me is not encouraging, so I'm not sure I will be able to further clarify. Suffice it to say, I think they are both great tubes. And it does seem to me that tube choice in Euforia is less critical than for Elise, because just about everything I try in Euforia sounds good to me. But admittedly I'm pretty much sticking to the section of my tube stable which is home to my generally highly rated drivers and power tubes. The rest of my tubes are out to pasture enjoying retirement.
I sympathise and wish you the best. As for me, the days of admiring the stock Svetlana / Psvane combo are long gone!...

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,448 of 11,501
I sympathise and wish you the best. As for me, the days of admiring the stock Svetlana / Psvane combo are long gone!...

For me it's the days of wine and roses that are long gone. Oppps. Got to go!! Nurse Ratched is approaching with 5 syringes in her hand :triportsad:

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #3,450 of 11,501
Hi fellow headfi'ers,

Does it have a preamplifier function like the elise? Im looking to buy a headphone amp for Sennheiser HD650/MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro/Final Audio Sonorous III and been looking into tube amps lately. But a requirement for me is that it has a good preamp out to feed a very high gain (36dB Job225) amp wich is direct coupled. I already read they have DC protection but i cant find out from pictures if the Euforia has PRE-OUT RCA. Also how does the preamp work on very low volume dial settings? I have alot of room reflections so its hard to keep the bass under control if i turn up the volume.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back