Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #6,586 of 6,869
I tried those. HE-1000se sounds similar to Susvara on lower end chain, they are nothing alike on Envy. HE-1000se doesnt scale nearly as well and will keep it usual sound signature, Susvara will shape the sound accoridng to your tubes and dac. Generelly it will have more heft, more bass and treble extension, richer mids and far far more detail and texture.
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think about the scaling :wink:, but true, starting with the HE-1000se don't need a atomic reactor to be driven.
What about soundstage, wasn't it bigger on the HE-1000se?

You dont need Envy for Caldera, Caldera sounds good from lower end chains and scales very slowly. It has less airy stage than Susvara, is less refined, has less macro detail, smaller stage, but offers more visceral presentation and slightly more body to the instruments. They compliment each other well, but when it comes to ZMFs something like Verite Open will scale much more with Envy.
Again I didn't consider scaling for Calderas either, but now thinking about that, I kind of agree, the Calderas don't sound quite different out of my Lehmann Audio Linear for example. All my others headphones scaled up quite a bit on the Envy (from my previous Euroria/Bliss). I have the Verite Closed and it sounds exceptional on the Envy with the WE300b (but not with Elrogs, i.e. closer to SS sound). The VC has a unique timbre and cup reverberation that feels specially natural/realistic with acoustic genders.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #6,587 of 6,869
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think about the scaling :wink:, but true, starting with the HE-1000se don't need a atomic reactor to be driven.
What about soundstage, wasn't it bigger on the HE-1000se?

Again I didn't consider scaling for Calderas either, but now thinking about that, I kind of agree, the Calderas don't sound quite different out of my Lehmann Audio Linear for example. All my others headphones scaled up quite a bit on the Envy (from my previous Euroria/Bliss). I have the Verite Closed and it sounds exceptional on the Envy with the WE300b (but not with Elrogs, i.e. closer to SS sound). The VC has a unique timbre and cup reverberation that feels specially natural/realistic with acoustic genders.

I dont really remember the soundstage on HE-1000se, but on Susvara you will get a very airy soundstage that is very effortless which I perceive as somewhat endless. This will change with tubes though, I thought that WE had slightly narrower stage than Fullmusic for example.

As for VO yeah, prefered WE with them too, Elrogs simply didnt sound like I was still listening to a tube amp anymore, regardless of driver tubes.

Yet to try VC, but AC sounds absolutely beautiful with WE300b and Envy.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #6,588 of 6,869
As for VO yeah, prefered WE with them too, Elrogs simply didnt sound like I was still listening to a tube amp anymore, regardless of driver tubes.
Yes, Elrogs sound to me also more like a SS amp, but with the possibility to tune it by rolling the drivers, so I still prefer it over SS amps for that reason and the decays.
I prefer the Elrogs over WE300b for high quality recordings or electronic, OST music where the extended bass/treble extension and resolution shine.

Yet to try VC, but AC sounds absolutely beautiful with WE300b and Envy.
I was looking the reference to a comparison I wrote for the AC vs VC after the previous HE Munich (that was my agenda) to share and curiously I found out you answered to that 🤣: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...-back-headphone-from-zmf.966989/post-17571449.

I went to check to replace my VC for the AC but ended keeping the VC (the AC was to my ears rather a complement) and getting the Calderas instead.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #6,589 of 6,869
I was looking the reference to a comparison I wrote for the AC vs VC after the previous HE Munich (that was my agenda) to share and curiously I found out you answered to that 🤣: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...-back-headphone-from-zmf.966989/post-17571449.
Yeah still cant answer on AC vs VC, never did an A/B. Answered on AC VS VO and Caldera there. Expect VC to be much faster, more detailed and less laid back sounding with similar levels of bass.

Curious to try VC, there is a beautiful pair on classfields atm (must resist).

As for Elrogs, yep totally exactly like you say they extend the treble and the bass, which can work beautifully with some headphones, not so much with others, its all about synergy. Considering 70% of my playlist resolves around analog music, its all about mids for me, where WE are simply unmatched. Knowing myself I will revisit Elrogs at some point though

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #6,590 of 6,869
Thank you for the link.
I actually canceled my purchase (from a friend) last night for the KR300B HP's and the Sylvania's because I felt I was getting too far ahead of myself being I'm still waiting for the Envy to arrive. I realized I need to get acquainted with the Envy for a long while and make sure it suits my tastes before investing any money into tubes.

A little off topic--so I apologize. I have the KR2A3 HP's and RK Anniversary Edition 5U4G in my WA33--I also have EML 2A3 S w/ EU 596 and just may prefer the latter tubes more than the KR's in my chain with my headphones, but I do need much more time with the KR's. As @ColSaulTigh mentioned--I'm finding the KR's a bit thin sounding, but then again they only have <100hrs on them in comparison to my EML and EU having been used for 3yrs already.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #6,592 of 6,869
Expect VC to be much faster, more detailed and less laid back sounding with similar levels of bass.
Curious to try VC, there is a beautiful pair on classfields atm (must resist).
You got them pretty close. All you said is valid.....similar level of bass but the AC reaches deeper notes. The AC is more neutral, closer to Harman, a better all-rounder. The VC is more engaging with some unorthodox W shape tuning that makes them a great match with vocals/acoustic instruments (but not that great for EDM/OST). The AC sound great on both, SS and tube amps, while the VC to me only sounds good out of tubes, otherwise is too fatiguing (Auteur pads helps a bit)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #6,593 of 6,869
I will probably restrain from getting the TM's. In the end the price is just too high for me to have three 300B sets around, of course i could sell them, but i am extremely happy with both my MO's and my WE's which are very complimentary. Maybe down the road, but not now. I have some 6SN7's incoming though, will report a bit about them when they'll arrive, also the Gordion.
Some of the people that went for the Envy AE should get their units soon-ish, right?

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #6,595 of 6,869
Well, do you have a headphone that needs the ultra sweet midrange like a 1266? That thing is the main reason i want to keep the WE's. Also: This way i have double the life expectancy!:gs1000smile:
...now you are bringing me on the wrong track again my dude because i wonder how the 1266 would sound with the TM's and if it would be enough of that midrange sweetness.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #6,596 of 6,869
Well, do you have a headphone that needs the ultra sweet midrange like a 1266? That thing is the main reason i want to keep the WE's. Also: This way i have double the life expectancy!:gs1000smile:
...now you are bringing me on the wrong track again my dude because i wonder how the 1266 would sound with the TM's and if it would be enough of that midrange sweetness.
Well if you don't like the TMs I could take them off of you at a later point...

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #6,597 of 6,869
Well if you don't like the TMs I could take them off of you at a later point...
:dt880smile:
Very generous of you!
Envy AE with TM's will probably sound terrific.

On the other hand: If you don't want the AE anymore and want to downsize, i could maybe help you with that too!

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #6,598 of 6,869
@Exekuhtor curious how does your Valkyria sound on Envy? What genres are you listen to with it? Curious how it compares with Sus and Abyss.

And Grand Silver cable you have got, is it lavricable btw?

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #6,599 of 6,869
Valkyria sound on Envy?
I use it with the MO's (most of the time anyway) for a bit more seperation and treble & bass extension, sounds awesome!
Curious how it compares with Sus and Abyss
Click the Valkyria link in my signature!
What genres are you listen to with it?
Basically everything except electronic stuff, i listen to a big variety but the biggest portion of that is rock / metal, my favourite genre is symphonic metal. It's a genre that is hard to play back correctly, since between all the chaos that are visceral drums and shredding guitars, you have a female vocalist that needs to pierce through all of it. You don't want to sacrifice the impact and dynamics of the metal part, but neither the sweetness of the singer.
And Grand Silver cable you have got, is it lavricable btw?
Indeed, if you click the "Grand Silver" link in my sig, it goes to the Lavricables thread. It's the eight wire version that's ~1k€ for 2m, which was my absolut limit for a cable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #6,600 of 6,869
Thanks. Eying exactly that cable right now.

And yep Valkyria is something I am very curious about, but damn, that price :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back