Feliks Audio ENVY
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #4,681 of 6,869
It was actually a wild woman!!

But still my fault, I should’ve explained in more detail how to remove. But she has changed tubes for me in the past. I haven’t told her the cost, she would be upset.

Next time I have power tubes replaced though, a thick towel is going to be placed on the transformer. Hindsight is a great thing!
Real Gentleman!

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,682 of 6,869
Thanks.

The left one (with the blue light also in the middle of the tube) pops very rapidly on warm up. The pops are in time with the blue light "flickering". After about 5-10 minutes it has settled down though.

I did speak to WE and they said if they sound fine then they just need burn in so don't worry.

They said I can RMA the tube if I am worried though so good customer service there.

I guess I need to just burn them in and I'm just a bit paranoid after my power supply failure 🙃
Still sounds a bit disconcerting to me (see link below - the 14 second clip). The bouncing blue glow in the left tube is accompanied by high speed clicks (in time with the flickers). The clicks end up really fast until they do eventually subside.

The normal clicks and dings of a tube warming up are fine and also present. The right tube is just lit up at the top and warms up in a more expected manner...dinging normally as you would expect like a grandfather clock 👍

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Am1sqoykcyZHg6hGEnYB4v2ezxhhkQ

If others can confirm the same behaviour with these WE tubes which subsides over time with burn in then my mind will be at rest. Otherwise I may RMA this one tube.

Note the Microwave was on a few rooms away so that's what you can hear plus some random Netflix rubbish my daughter is watching 🤣. Normally when I have a session the house is completely silent 🤫

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #4,683 of 6,869
The new Brimars are so sweet sounding, also with a pure black background. I will probably get the other pair of the guy that sold them, he also has Tung Sol 6SN7GT Round Plates. The Linlai do sound sterile and analytical compared to the Brimars, but they have more seperation and soundstage.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #4,684 of 6,869
Still sounds a bit disconcerting to me (see link below - the 14 second clip). The bouncing blue glow in the left tube is accompanied by high speed clicks (in time with the flickers). The clicks end up really fast until they do eventually subside.

The normal clicks and dings of a tube warming up are fine and also present. The right tube is just lit up at the top and warms up in a more expected manner...dinging normally as you would expect like a grandfather clock 👍

If others can confirm the same behaviour with these WE tubes which subsides over time with burn in then my mind will be at rest. Otherwise I may RMA this one tube.

Note the Microwave was on a few rooms away so that's what you can hear plus some random Netflix rubbish my daughter is watching 🤣. Normally when I have a session the house is completely silent 🤫
Neither of my new WE’s exhibited this behaviour.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #4,685 of 6,869
Are 6SN7 adapters (socket savers?) clever and helpful if you want to swap the tubes out, say, 2-3 time per week to minimize the wear?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4,687 of 6,869
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #4,688 of 6,869

Does the clicking (or popping) sound also appears on your headphones? I had one faulty WE300B tube, with a similar flickering behavior, where I can hear popping sounds on my headphones repeatedly, in sync with the flickering motion in the tube (however, no sound coming out of the tube itself, only through the headphones). Spoke to WE about it and they told to me to send it back to them to have it replaced. They suspected that the tube had a gas leak. Perhaps you can email them and see if they think it’s damaged/faulty.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,689 of 6,869
Thanks, the Woo Audio stuff is US, so i will most likely just talk to Deyan since he is EU and gets recommended a lot.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #4,690 of 6,869
Does the clicking (or popping) sound also appears on your headphones? I had one faulty WE300B tube, with a similar flickering behavior, where I can hear popping sounds on my headphones repeatedly, in sync with the flickering motion in the tube (however, no sound coming out of the tube itself, only through the headphones). Spoke to WE about it and they told to me to send it back to them to have it replaced. They suspected that the tube had a gas leak. Perhaps you can email them and see if they think it’s damaged/faulty.
Yes exactly that. The flickering corresponds with the popping in the headphones.

It's funny I think I've been reading your thread on headphones.com where you describe this 😄. It's the same phenomenon for sure.

I think I'll RMA it but I have contacted WE as well. Of course they are happy to replace it but I am curious what they say when they watch that small clip I posted.

Cheers 🍻

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #4,691 of 6,869
Thanks, the Woo Audio stuff is US, so i will most likely just talk to Deyan since he is EU and gets recommended a lot.
Yes his are absolutely fine as well but the Woo ones are ceramic and really sturdy.

I bit the bullet and paid a little import tax and I am pleased I did.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #4,692 of 6,869
It's funny I think I've been reading your thread on headphones.com where you describe this 😄. It's the same phenomenon for sure.
Yes it was me 😁

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #4,693 of 6,869
Deyan has different "models", I really like his Aluminum Adapters, they look and feel very premium

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4,694 of 6,869
Yep, I use the same Deyan ones for both (and other 6c5 & L63)

Yeah those are the ones to get. My brown base aren't from Langrex but are more quiet than the black base I have from Langrex, so in case the base rather than the purchase source is it, I'd recommend the brown base. They've been among my favorites on the Envy and my OTL. On the OTL especially they seem to widen the stage but they bring very good and clean bass on both.
Langrex replaced my Fivre tube which had one less pin with no fuss.

I plugged them in though and it sounded like an aircraft taking off. Wow the noise. Scared the **** out of me.

I guess I was unlucky as you mention some of the Fivres are noisy. I think I'll return them as it might be tricky to find four quiet tubes. Two is easier but four is more difficult. I went through 6 until I found 4 Brimar 6J5G that were dead silent.

Shame as I was looking forward to hearing them.

I'm also RMA'ing the WE300B which appears to have issues will gas (don't we all).

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #4,695 of 6,869
Langrex replaced my Fivre tube which had one less pin with no fuss.

I plugged them in though and it sounded like an aircraft taking off. Wow the noise. Scared the **** out of me.

I guess I was unlucky as you mention some of the Fivres are noisy. I think I'll return them as it might be tricky to find four quiet tubes. Two is easier but four is more difficult. I went through 6 until I found 4 Brimar 6J5G that were dead silent.

Shame as I was looking forward to hearing them.

I'm also RMA'ing the WE300B which appears to have issues will gas (don't we all).
Yikes, well I've never heard anything like that from them. I think more like a little hiss. Bummer regardless, especially the WE300b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back