Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #6,676 of 6,869
Price > performance. Folk on ebay are asking 600-700 for bang average 6SN7s judging by opinions on the 6SN7 thread. I mean, they might be wrong, but these are tube addicts so what do I know.

Trying to find upgrades on the Brimars like Mullard ECC32 is nearly £700.

I'm not saying my CV1988 are rubbish. But perhaps they weren't worth the near £500 I paid. Worth a shot.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #6,677 of 6,869
6sn7 is a sh!t show - I've done fairly well in selling at a small loss and cycling through to find my keepers. If you could magically know the drivers that perfect 6sn7 driver for you with your preferred power tubes - I'd say it would be worth 700$ investment all things considered (which may sound a bit extreme) - but in the game of cycling through looking for synergy it isn't - and a total pain looking at prices like that - given a good chance it isn't your cup of tea.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #6,678 of 6,869
Price > performance. Folk on ebay are asking 600-700 for bang average 6SN7s judging by opinions on the 6SN7 thread. I mean, they might be wrong, but these are tube addicts so what do I know.

Trying to find upgrades on the Brimars like Mullard ECC32 is nearly £700.

I'm not saying my CV1988 are rubbish. But perhaps they weren't worth the near £500 I paid. Worth a shot.

Just need to snipe them, got Fivres that go atm for 500-800 eur only for 200 like 3 weeks ago. But I see your point, the scalpers prices on ebay (on by some collectors here o headfi) are beyond good and evil.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #6,679 of 6,869
I'm not saying my CV1988 are rubbish. But perhaps they weren't worth the near £500 I paid.
Agree.
I payed like 600€ for a pair, i see another pair for 800€, that's way too much.
I payed less than 400€ for the Melz pair, which i feel was a good investment.
There are some 6SN7's which are slightly worse but way cheaper. I found that after burning in a pair of Electro Harmonix, they are really good, and the price is just a fraction of some highly sought after tubes.
Here you can read a bit about them under -3. NEW STOCK TUBES:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

I did not delve into the adapter game myself, there are some crazy folks which do some Frankenstein stuff to the Envy...

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #6,680 of 6,869
Hello. I am still a relative novice to this hobby, and very new to headfi so please excuse if this is the wrong place to be asking such a question. If there is somewhere better, please point me the right way. I have never had a tube amp in my chain at home, and am curious about picking one up for the first time. My main considerations are the Envy, WA23, and WA33. Can anyone who has heard or owned multiple of these tell me how they compare? Any impressions would be helpful. I am also open to other amps, it's just that those 3 are the first to have been put on my radar.
Hey there -

I've got the WA23 and the Envy.

In short, the Envy has a weightier sound - sounds amazing for things like drums and upright bass. It also has a very airy, wide soundstage.
The WA23 in contrast has a gorgeous midrange. Less wide soundstage than Envy, but more deep sounding to my ears. Also sounds more cohesive to me versus the Envy throughout the frequency range - the midrange sounds more filled in and therefore I consistently feel more emotionally connected to the music.

Envy is absolutely killer for things like jazz though. It's got more power than the WA23. EDM also sounds even more punchy, intense and awesome than on the WA23. Those genres are great on the WA23 too, but Envy is an even better fit. This is all with stock tubes on the Performance Edition of the Envy and Psvane or Takatsuki 2A3s on the WA23.

Hope this helps!

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #6,681 of 6,869
Hey there -

I've got the WA23 and the Envy.

In short, the Envy has a weightier sound - sounds amazing for things like drums and upright bass. It also has a very airy, wide soundstage.
The WA23 in contrast has a gorgeous midrange. Less wide soundstage than Envy, but more deep sounding to my ears. Also sounds more cohesive to me versus the Envy throughout the frequency range - the midrange sounds more filled in and therefore I consistently feel more emotionally connected to the music.

Envy is absolutely killer for things like jazz though. It's got more power than the WA23. EDM also sounds even more punchy, intense and awesome than on the WA23. Those genres are great on the WA23 too, but Envy is an even better fit. This is all with stock tubes on the Performance Edition of the Envy and Psvane or Takatsuki 2A3s on the WA23.

Hope this helps!
That’s how I felt with Envy with Elrogs I craved for more midrange depth and richness in some recordings, WE300b fixed it though, never heard mids as rich as with this tubes.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #6,682 of 6,869
That’s how I felt with Envy with Elrogs I craved for more midrange depth and richness in some recordings, WE300b fixed it though, never heard mids as rich as with this tubes.
Ah man, you're tempting me... I'm actually considering whether or not to get the WE300Bs. I've been considering for awhile because, for me, Envy is missing that emotional midrange. If WEs would bring that, I'd be thrilled.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #6,683 of 6,869
Ah man, you're tempting me... I'm actually considering whether or not to get the WE300Bs. I've been considering for awhile because, for me, Envy is missing that emotional midrange. If WEs would bring that, I'd be thrilled.
They will 😉

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #6,684 of 6,869
On paper, I should be Elrogs all day long. And they are phenomenal.

I just sold my Elrogs and kept the WE. You can draw your own conclusions about that. And as a Tool and Meshuggah and general technical metal fan amongst many other genres like jazz, the WE don't leave me wanting.

If you can afford both, fantastic.

Great summary of Envy sound btw! Wa23 sounds superb.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #6,685 of 6,869
The cult of Elrog was reigning supreme for awhile on Head-Fi but WE300B has been getting a lot of good reviews here lately. I don't doubt that if you really want to scale Susvara it would benefit you to have MOs or TM300Bs - the question is if that is where you want to put your focus. In the end I decided to go WE300B also.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #6,686 of 6,869
With those Caldera the WE are practically mandatory.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #6,688 of 6,869
The last date for ordering TM is fast approaching.
Yes, they are $$$ but, IMO, well worth it.
(shuts eyes) Is it just until the last day of April?

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #6,689 of 6,869
As I don't know what the feck I'm doing, which of these two options would you buy/ are better?

I'm gonna do my best to channel @Wes S here.
Wes would have you get the RED ink version. I was underwhelmed with the Mullard VR135 but my quad was the lowly WHITE ink! I tried them a few times and sold them. IMO, these are not in the same discussion as the Siemens C3G, Tele G73-r, GEC 6J5G among other but then again they are inexpensive so there's that. The 6S5S are good and worth buying.....and they are cheap!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #6,690 of 6,869
I'm gonna do my best to channel @Wes S here. Wes would have the get the RED ink version. I was underwhelmed with the Mullard VR135 but my quad was the lowly WHITE ink!
OMG, white ink??!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING etc etc :wink:

It's a reasonably cheap experiment. I'm expecting my CV1988 to hold strong. We'll see though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back