Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #6,706 of 6,873
Not necessarily an Envy question so I apologize in advance, but I've seen talks about tube rolling, as well as the Puritan PSM156 power conditioner. Which do you guys think would be worth investing into first for a larger boost in technicalities in an engaging and natural way?

I would be "upgrading" from Niagara1200 to Puritan PSM156, or the stock WA23 Luna power 2a3 tubes to the Takatsuki 2A3. Bout about same price after the dust settles. I've read the Tak2a3 impressions on the WA23 thread which sound enticing, but there is something reassuring about knowing that my power situation should be mostly solidified by swapping to the Puritan. Goal is both eventually but gotta compromise to start :).
I put a 156 in the chain a few days ago. Whilst I do think it made an audible difference, I'd quite happily live without it and roll tubes instead.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #6,707 of 6,873
Got my last pairs of 6SN7's i waited for!

PXL_20240427_082705563.jpg

Featuring adapters from Deyan, from left to right:

Sylvania 6SN7GTB Short Bottle
Kenrad VT-231
Brimar CV1988
Melz1578
TungSol Round Plate
and above: Electro Harmonix Gold New Stock
And not pictured because of slight imbalance: PSVane Globes

I think i'm done with buying more 6SN7's, maybe that one Melz pair for backup...

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #6,708 of 6,873

Kenrad VT-231
Brimar CV1988
Melz1578
TungSol Round Plate

I think i'm done with buying more 6SN7's, maybe that one Melz pair for backup...
Damn nice selection.
How about some comparative thoughts on all of them?

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #6,709 of 6,873

Kenrad VT-231
Brimar CV1988
Melz1578
TungSol Round Plate

Nice line up!

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #6,710 of 6,873

Kenrad VT-231
Brimar CV1988
Melz1578
TungSol Round Plate

The tub es are in beautiful condition, congratz! Wish I could find (and afford) something like Brimar CV1988 in that condition.

Are those replaceable bases btw?

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #6,711 of 6,873
How about some comparative thoughts on all of them?
Sure, keep in mind i just got the Sylvanias and the Kenrads, so with those i have only 10 minutes of listening impressions.

Sylvania 6SN7GTB Short Bottle - Good warmth, not the best treble extension on first glance, should be nice with the WE's to get the 1266 running. Nice midbass kick. One of the tubes makes harsh noises for one minute while warming up, luckily completely silent after that.
Kenrad VT-231 - Separation, details, soundstage from the very first impressions. They also seem to slam a very good amount. Mids seem nice but not the focus. No idea how they compare to the other technical tubes just yet.
Brimar CV1988 - Super sweet mids and highly resolving. Pure honey, top tier!
Melz1578 - Most detailed and separation i got, insane with MO's. No warmth. They slam like a truck.
TungSol Round Plate - Just behind Melz in technicalities. Mids are also very good but not Brimar sweetness. Probably the best allrounder tube i got.
Electro Harmonix Gold New Stock: Nice mids, you don't sacrifice too much details, highly recommended for the price.
PSVane Globes: Neutral, slightly U-shaped, very good extension, more solid state sounding, goes for technicalities and not musicality. Probably similiar to other Gold PSVanes. Shame about the slight imbalance, i will try to swap them out...

Nice line up!
Thanks!
Are those replaceable bases btw?
Check out Deyan here at head-fi, he makes them, not expensive either, very useful if you roll tubes on an (almost) daily basis.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #6,712 of 6,873
Sure, keep in mind i just got the Sylvanias and the Kenrads, so with those i have only 10 minutes of listening impressions.

Sylvania 6SN7GTB Short Bottle - Good warmth, not the best treble extension on first glance, should be nice with the WE's to get the 1266 running. Nice midbass kick. One of the tubes makes harsh noises for one minute while warming up, luckily completely silent after that.
Kenrad VT-231 - Separation, details, soundstage from the very first impressions. They also seem to slam a very good amount. Mids seem nice but not the focus. No idea how they compare to the other technical tubes just yet.
Brimar CV1988 - Super sweet mids and highly resolving. Pure honey, top tier!
Melz1578 - Most detailed and separation i got, insane with MO's. No warmth. They slam like a truck.
TungSol Round Plate - Just behind Melz in technicalities. Mids are also very good but not Brimar sweetness. Probably the best allrounder tube i got.
Electro Harmonix Gold New Stock: Nice mids, you don't sacrifice too much details, highly recommended for the price.
PSVane Globes: Neutral, slightly U-shaped, very good extension, more solid state sounding, goes for technicalities and not musicality. Probably similiar to other Gold PSVanes. Shame about the slight imbalance, i will try to swap them out...

Thanks!

Check out Deyan here at head-fi, he makes them, not expensive either, very useful if you roll tubes on an (almost) daily basis.
If you know trustworthy sources of Brimar and Kenrad please pm me :)

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #6,713 of 6,873
PM me too :)

How much did you pay for your Brimars btw?

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #6,714 of 6,873
Yeah, the Brimars and the TungSol were the by far most expensive tubes, i would probably not get them again for the price i paid. That being said, nothing (yet) beats the Brimar sweetness without sacrificing technicalities, they are really good. With the WE's they make the Susvara pure honey madness like an HE-1 with so much saturation and with the 1266 the midrange is highly enjoyable.
I just plugged in the PSVane globes again, and the channel imbalance seems better, huh...
I get more channel imbalance if i plug them in a one way, if i swap them i get less, that's so weird. Maybe they have a weird anti synergy with my Envy? Voices seems to be almost right down the middle now, but when i swap them, they are clearly too much to the right.
How much did you pay for your Brimars btw?
Don't make me look it up, i don't want to be remembered, i think it was 600€+...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #6,715 of 6,873
Nice, I'll need to add Melz and Tung's to the wish list. Are those BGRP's?

Slightly off topic, just spent half an hour swapping mains power cable between DAC and amp, one with SR Purple, one with a way cheaper gold bussman. Couldn't detect any difference between them. SR's now return to sender after I confirm the same with the SR that's in envy. Edit, yep, makes zero difference to my ears on my system.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #6,716 of 6,873
Nice, I'll need to add Melz and Tung's to the wish list. Are those BGRP's?
Yes, but overall they were too expensive. :rolling_eyes:

I always read that a few years ago people were buying now TOTL tubes for way cheaper, that's messed up...

Edit:
Kenrad VT-231 excel in the bass, it hits really deep. Bottom extension is insane. They slam ultra hard. They have a smaller soundstage / separation than Melz. Seems like they are the bass cannon 6SN7, it's not completely overblown with midbass bloat though, it's extremely fun. Have them in with the MO's and that's really enjoyable. Pretty transparent but not overly sweet (with the MO's, they may tone that down), but not analytical either, a nice balance. Mids are very good.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #6,717 of 6,873
I was speaking with Tuan at hanoi tubes the other day and those are what he recommended for myself with a mostly rock focused library, B65 an alternative. Looking forward to seeing what they bring with the taks vs brimar.

Tungs have definitely peaked my interest as well though from what you've said.

It'll be an interesting play time when TM show up, should also be about the time Armageddon gets here so many balls to juggle.

Have you had G73-R in with the MO's at any point?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #6,718 of 6,873
Yes, but overall they were too expensive. :rolling_eyes:

I always read that a few years ago people were buying now TOTL tubes for way cheaper, that's messed up...

Edit:
Kenrad VT-231 excel in the bass, it hits really deep. Bottom extension is insane. They slam ultra hard. They have a smaller soundstage / separation than Melz. Seems like they are the bass cannon 6SN7, it's not completely overblown with midbass bloat though, it's extremely fun. Have them in with the MO's and that's really enjoyable. Pretty transparent but not overly sweet (with the MO's, they may tone that down), but not analytical either, a nice balance. Mids are very good.
Which do you find to be the best pairing with WE300b btw?

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #6,719 of 6,873
Probably the Brimar CV1988 to make the Susvara sound like a honey pot or to make the 1266 super enjoyable even for voices.
They strengthen everything the WE's does great.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #6,720 of 6,873
That was another thing I had a good chat with Tuan about, music genre / preference plays a massive part in matching tubes, I've noted that myself with current setup where some types of music excel and others are just "quite good" .

I've actually put music genre into my sig now just so it's easier for others to figure out where I'm coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back