Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Jun 4, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,381 of 3,428
its the law of sonic qualitative aggregation..
and.the law of cummulative ezpansive separation In play.

the intrinsic quality of each gear component will be added onto the resultant sound...

and each gear will expand to the.next degree, what has already been sonically separated by the prior.

selah

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,382 of 3,428

the intrinsic quality of each gear component will be added onto the resultant sound...

and each gear will expand to the.next degree, what has already been sonically separated by the prior.

selah

Sounds very interesting, L...am gonna have to do a LOT of homework, lol!

But what about the intrinsic faults/weaknesses of an inferior link?...methinks I'm still going to take a lot of convincing!! :)

Cheers!

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,383 of 3,428
Grasshopper, Minor deaths will be swallowed up in the major compounded victories.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,384 of 3,428

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,385 of 3,428

The cathode resistor for the 6SN7 is way wrong for the C3g
I think I told H1 to hook it to both of the 6SN7 cathodes to bring it down closer to what the C3g needs.
Don't know if he done that though.

Hi Glenn.

I did indeed...THANKS!...and no untoward consequences...(the opposite in fact!!).

But I'm afraid - as you will probably have gathered by now - I don't now put that resistor on g1...it degraded the sound something awful (as iluvmusic2 also found), even after a reasonable burn-in (and I did use a very good quality one). I can understand the circumstances that prompt you to use them but as with the Little Dots, I (and others) have found they are by no means always necessary. There is indeed some truth in the old saying : "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol!

And the exact opposite in fact happened when instead I added that single-crystal copper wire to the pure silver one (sorry for keep repeating this)...pure magic!

So once again my sincere thanks go to you...as well as the Feliks-Audio guys...

I did swapped different types/brand of resistors they all sound bad with my adapters/MK III so off they go.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,386 of 3,428
Updating my Jazz collection while I patiently wait for my Elise :D

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/50-greatest-jazz-albums-ever

:D I am a tube addict already!

Quote:
Perfectly normal.
biggrin.gif

Your suggestion is valuable :) Thanks, I will give proper break-in time to the default tubes before I mess things up :D I don't have a DAC  and it's 2015 :/

Just wait until you hear the Elise, you will know there is even more performance to be had from this little amp. At least, that was my experience... :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,387 of 3,428
Don't feel odd, LR. I'm 51 and the first DAC I ever purchased with my own money was less than 2 years ago. A Modi. Horrible sound in my main system. On my office desk driving the very clear sounding, but ultimately much less resolving AE A5+, playing 320 Spotify, it's not too bad. OK, it still sucks; I don't really notice it as much, but I digress....

This is a young forum, population-wise, and many systems are computer based. There's no computer in my (real) system; can't think of a reason to have one. The Oppo has a HDD hooked into it, so listening to a file is about as difficult as biting an apple, and I use it to check out unsigned bands on Bandacamp. Just don't need a DAC. Before getting the Oppo105, I was a 85% analog guy. Now it's about 50:50, having had a lot of gear make its way through my system, I honestly don't believe his would have been possible with any other digital source. I mean, I've had DACs in the $10K range in my rack. Couldn't wait to spin an LP; it was like taking a shower. The Oppo, like the Elise in this respect, is a different animal.

Edit: typo

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,388 of 3,428
Thanks for the comforting words Felix :)

A friend is in Chicago, he can carry Oppo 105D to my home country, but the website doesn't have Chicago on their list. I'm so frustrated :/

Need help, how can I buy in Chicago?

I tried, bestbuy, Walmart, RadioShack, nothing available on their websites.

I'm not going to miss this opportunity.

Don't feel odd, LR. I'm 51 and the first DAC I ever purchased with my own money was less than 2 years ago. A Modi. Horrible sound in my main system. On my office desk driving the very clear sounding, but ultimately much less resolving AE A5+, playing 320 Spotify, it's not too bad. OK, it still sucks; I don't really notice it as much, but I digress....

This is a young forum, population-wise, and many systems are computer based. There's no computer in my (real) system; can't think of a reason to have one. The Oppo has a HDD hooked into it, so listening to a file is about as difficult as biting an apple, and I use it to check out unsigned bands on Bandacamp. Just don't need a DAC. Before getting the Oppo105, I was a 85% analog guy. Now it's about 50:50, having had a lot of gear make its way through my system, I honestly don't believe his would have been possible with any other digital source. I mean, I've had DACs in the $10K range in my rack. Couldn't wait to spin an LP; it was like taking a shower. The Oppo, like the Elise in this respect, is a different animal.

Edit: typo

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,389 of 3,428
I don't get this psychology of yours :) Your system is as good as the weakest link within it, my psychology. Hope you get it lol

selah

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,390 of 3,428
I don't get this psychology of yours
smily_headphones1.gif
Your system is as good as the weakest link within it, my psychology. Hope you get it lol

I agree with Lord Raven and Hypnos1 here. Your system is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Did a quick test with my Little Bear P8 hooked into the Elise. There was a slightly bigger but more congested soundstage and the whole sound was just more smeared, details muffled... not a succes in my book.

On another note, my GEC A1834 / 6AS7Gs arrived and these are absolutely new, they look stunning and measure like new. Will report back in after burn-in. (Feels weird burning-in something more than 60 years old!)

Will report back in when there is time to form an opinion on these.

Hope you get that Oppo Lord Raven!

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #1,391 of 3,428
Big doors turn...on small hinges.

I am hopeful of the cleaner  littleDots making a difference...
that littleBear dun seem to cut it, in terms of clarity(?)  but u did say the soundstage gotten BIGGER ...
the noise of the littlebear got expanded n amplified together with the music.

My theory holds...at a certain baseline. LOL

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,392 of 3,428
  Big doors turn...on small hinges.

I am hopeful of the cleaner  littleDots making a difference...
that littleBear dun seem to cut it, in terms of clarity(?)  but u did say the soundstage gotten BIGGER ...
the noise of the littlebear got expanded n amplified together with the music.

My theory holds...at a certain baseline. LOL

To each his own Lorspeaker! 
beyersmile.png

If you want the biggest possible soundstage and don't care about things like noise, clarity, detail and precision I say go for it and enjoy the heck out of it!

By now you really should get an Elise and bring your own theory into practice. Then come back here and tell us your findings, I for one would be interested. 
popcorn.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #1,393 of 3,428
Thanks for the comforting words Felix :)

A friend is in Chicago, he can carry Oppo 105D to my home country, but the website doesn't have Chicago on their list. I'm so frustrated :/

Need help, how can I buy in Chicago?

I tried, bestbuy, Walmart, RadioShack, nothing available on their websites.

I'm not going to miss this opportunity.

Your friend should give Oppo a call. Most likely, he'll have to leave a message, but they're very quick to respond. They have very good customer service.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,394 of 3,428
Well done, Shaffer, you managed to convince me. (I asked about amps in the HD 650s thread and you brought up the Elise, and here we are...)

It's a tad cheaper than the WA6, but much cheaper to import. It doesn't sit well with me to pay almost $300 to import a $700 dollar amp. Feels nice to buy from a small company, and I like the idea that it's built in Europe.

Will be using the Elise with an uber Bifrost and my HD 650s. I'm trying to temper my excitement, since I expect I'll have to wait for a good while before the Elise gets here.

Should be a significant upgrade over my very entry-level FiiO E7/E9 combo!

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,395 of 3,428
  Well done, Shaffer, you managed to convince me. (I asked about amps in the HD 650s thread and you brought up the Elise, and here we are...)

It's a tad cheaper than the WA6, but much cheaper to import. It doesn't sit well with me to pay almost $300 to import a $700 dollar amp. Feels nice to buy from a small company, and I like the idea that it's built in Europe.

Will be using the Elise with an uber Bifrost and my HD 650s. I'm trying to temper my excitement, since I expect I'll have to wait for a good while before the Elise gets here.

Should be a significant upgrade over my very entry-level FiiO E7/E9 combo!

That's funny i didnt buy an Elise for the same reason $500.00 amp $300.00 import so got a used WA22 in my neck of the woods instead but not cheaper lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back