Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,036 of 3,428
Just got an email from Lukasz. My Elise should be shipping tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Good news Shaffer....let's hope she arrives safe and sound...
beyersmile.png

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,038 of 3,428
I'm glad to hear that Shaffer! Hopefully it will arrive swiftly and in perfect working order!

Try to keep that excitement in check! :wink::beerchug:

It's hard. :D

Looked at the tracking; the amp is on its way.

BTW, supposedly another amp was shipped to the US this week. Anyone here?

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,039 of 3,428
I am not sure who else in the US would have ordered an Elise.

I do know and i am sorry to say I will be shipping my Elise back to Feliks audio. There Is a loud noise in the right channel when i turn it off. Feliks audio have promised to take a hard look at it and i'm sure it will be fixed.

I will also be sending them an extra set of tubes (RCA 6SN7-GT 1967 and Sylvania 6080WC) so they can listen to and measure those as well, hopefully this way we can both benefit from this.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,043 of 3,428
  Yep, my thoughts exactly, something might have gotten loose during transport. Hopefully it is an easy fix and I will get her back as good as new :)

Hi R.

So sorry to hear of your disappointing experience...I too hope there is a simple explanation and that she is back in your clutches very soon.

Be assured I shall expect Lukasz to sort this promptly and satisfactorily, which I am sure will be the case...

(In all honesty I am the one who expected the odd gremlin or two, given I had the prototype basically!! Early adopters of new products do often pave the way for others, non?!...- but once again I am really sorry for you...).

Best wishes,
C J

ps. Will be giving the demo unit at the Cambridge meet a REAL good going over!
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,045 of 3,428
Well folks, have just about recovered from the day's outing to the Cambridge meet - and it sure does take me longer to 'recover' these days lol!

Had a great time though - as did a good many others...it was very busy (and noisy!...which unfortunately is not very conducive to serious listening - with open cans anyway). But it was great to meet up with some previously faceless members - Acapella11, tjw321 and Nic Rhodes, plus others I hadn't yet come across....great guys all!

Smial1966 and pedalhead did a great job - no small venture to organise, I suspect. And a big thanks must go to them...

Sad to say, they weren't able to set up the demo Elise  - the demo table seemed somewhat hectic and troubled with gremlins, so time ran out (especially as it had to be packed up early to go in the raffle). So I was rather disappointed...
redface.gif
...But she was in fact won by a member who had actually shown quite an interest in mine, so I'm sure that made his day. I only hope he does in fact like it and posts his findings here...hopefully without any glitches to report!!

Although conditions were far from perfect to show my amp to its best, she was liked by a good few (time and ancillary equipment were unfortunately in short supply) but hopefully some impressions will emerge. A11 will surely give his initial findings using his HD800s and I think tjw may well have fallen in love with my T1s especially - hopefully in combination with the Elise! 
wink_face.gif

GOOD NEWS for low impedance headphones - she drove the Audeze LCD2s with ease, so hopefully there should be no worries at all on that score. So even if I failed in other goals, hopefully this makes up for my shortcomings. (I only wish I could have tried the XCs however - they sure did sound - and look - nice in A11's Questyle current mode amp. But would be just a bit too heavy (in physical weight that is!) for my liking...).

So it looks like we shall have to wait for the next few recipients of the Elise to get some in-depth reviews, I'm afraid...

Just a couple of pics from the meet...

Something to drool over?...Blue Hawaii Electrostatic - lots of people hovering at this table...couldn't get a look (listen) in!

A bit more down-to-Earth...but still some money's worth!...just some of Nic Rhodes's gear!! I must take my hat off to Nic for his dedication to this hobby, not to mention his knowledge, experience and willingness to share this with everyone else in head-fi land. CHEERS Nic!

Yours truly (middle) with from left to right, Nic, tjw321, Acapella11 and pal Alex (who also has an Elise in fact).

So the next meet is a bigger one in August - CanJam, London - but unfortunately shan't be able to make it (don't know if I could take the pace anyway, lol!  
frown.gif
).

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,046 of 3,428

Although conditions were far from perfect to show my amp to its best, she was liked by a good few (time and ancillary equipment were unfortunately in short supply) but hopefully some impressions will emerge. A11 will surely give his initial findings using his HD800s and I think tjw may well have fallen in love with my T1s especially - hopefully in combination with the Elise! 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for bringing the Elise and the T1s along. They were the pieces of gear that I wanted to hear most and, thanks to you, I managed to hear them both, and together, what's more!

I really enjoyed our little Questyle/Elise comparison session, as captured in your photo. As you say, Nic, Acappella11 and Alex are all really nice guys (and yourself, of course!) - welcoming and very tolerant of my relative noobness!

I'm sure that there will be both an Elise and a pair of T1s in my future. It was a little noisy for critical listening at the meet, but that little piece of the 1812 I caught during the lunch lull was the most glorious sound I have ever heard! And that was when we were still using my little X3 as a source. Now I just need a new job to afford them. Actually, I liked some of the Audeze range as well and a lot of Nic's gear - better make that two jobs! I'm just glad that I avoided listening to the really expensive stuff...

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,047 of 3,428
  Well folks, have just about recovered from the day's outing to the Cambridge meet - and it sure does take me longer to 'recover' these days lol!

Had a great time though - as did a good many others...it was very busy (and noisy!...which unfortunately is not very conducive to serious listening - with open cans anyway). But it was great to meet up with some previously faceless members - Acapella11, tjw321 and Nic Rhodes, plus others I hadn't yet come across....great guys all!

Smial1966 and pedalhead did a great job - no small venture to organise, I suspect. And a big thanks must go to them...

Sad to say, they weren't able to set up the demo Elise  - the demo table seemed somewhat hectic and troubled with gremlins, so time ran out (especially as it had to be packed up early to go in the raffle). So I was rather disappointed...
redface.gif
...But she was in fact won by a member who had actually shown quite an interest in mine, so I'm sure that made his day. I only hope he does in fact like it and posts his findings here...hopefully without any glitches to report!!

wink_face.gif

GOOD NEWS for low impedance headphones - she drove the Audeze LCD2s with ease, so hopefully there should be no worries at all on that score. So even if I failed in other goals, hopefully this makes up for my shortcomings. (I only wish I could have tried the XCs however - they sure did sound - and look - nice in A11's Questyle current mode amp. But would be just a bit too heavy (in physical weight that is!) for my liking...).

So it looks like we shall have to wait for the next few recipients of the Elise to get some in-depth reviews, I'm afraid...

Just a couple of pics from the meet...

Something to drool over?...Blue Hawaii Electrostatic - lots of people hovering at this table...couldn't get a look (listen) in!

A bit more down-to-Earth...but still some money's worth!...just some of Nic Rhodes's gear!! I must take my hat off to Nic for his dedication to this hobby, not to mention his knowledge, experience and willingness to share this with everyone else in head-fi land. CHEERS Nic!

Yours truly (middle) with from left to right, Nic, tjw321, Acapella11 and pal Alex (who also has an Elise in fact).

So the next meet is a bigger one in August - CanAmp, London - but unfortunately shan't be able to make it (don't know if I could take the pace anyway, lol!  
frown.gif
).

Always nice to put a face on our headfi buddy's nice to meet you guys .

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,048 of 3,428
Hi Hypnos1, tjw321, Nic and everyone else

Thanks H1 to write this nice report. You should, in fact post it on the UK Meet page, too =)

It was great meeting you all in person, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

OK, back to topic, Elise:

The Elise was slightly warm, probably a tint warmer than the LD MKIV, even with the C3Gs and that tint fit well with T1 and HD800.
It is rather a bit on the lusher side and with an addictive signature :).
Critical listening is never easy in a meet environment, so take it with a grain of salt. Because the T1-stage is larger and maybe because of the greater impedance, the Elise favoured to me the T1, but it was also a signature match with the HD800s. I found the bass response, for quantity and impact, quite impressive for that little amp (with the HD800). That was a clear notch over the LD, and it really delivered a nice ambiance, detail and a non-fatiguing, very enjoyble treble.
The amp is brilliant for that prize point!

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,049 of 3,428
Hello Hypnos1 and everybody! I'm the lucky guy who won the Elise in the raffle. I've now gotten it home today installed the tubes and powered her up, but I'm having a problem. I get some hum when there is no sound, but I'm reading this is normal, so not a problem, though when listening to the hum there are sometimes blips and glass tap kinds of noises that change in character, so maybe still a problem. There are a couple things that I can't figure out. I'll email Lukasz tomorrow and see what he says.

1. If I hook my DX50 to the back and play music with the volume turned all the way down on the Elise, music comes out, and it sounds relatively clean but really quiet, same with the Geek Out 1000.
2. If I turn the volume up, the hum increases, but the volume of the music doesn't.

I've made sure the tubes are in their sockets right and my RCAs are well connected, but I can't figure out what is causing this hum and lack of ability to change music volume. Neither of the DACs I'm sending music out from have true line-outs, but I've done the standard thing and maxed out the volume from the source to emulate line-out.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,050 of 3,428
  Hello Hypnos1 and everybody! I'm the lucky guy who won the Elise in the raffle. I've now gotten it home today installed the tubes and powered her up, but I'm having a problem. I get some hum when there is no sound, but I'm reading this is normal, so not a problem, though when listening to the hum there are sometimes blips and glass tap kinds of noises that change in character, so maybe still a problem. There are a couple things that I can't figure out. I'll email Lukasz tomorrow and see what he says.

1. If I hook my DX50 to the back and play music with the volume turned all the way down on the Elise, music comes out, and it sounds relatively clean but really quiet, same with the Geek Out 1000.
2. If I turn the volume up, the hum increases, but the volume of the music doesn't.

I've made sure the tubes are in their sockets right and my RCAs are well connected, but I can't figure out what is causing this hum and lack of ability to change music volume. Neither of the DACs I'm sending music out from have true line-outs, but I've done the standard thing and maxed out the volume from the source to emulate line-out.

It is quite normal for new tubes to hum and buzz. Give them some time. Let them cook for 20 hours. In fact, some recommend 50 or more. They will likely quiet down nicely as the Russian tubes, which I assume are those provided with the amp, tend to be quieter than most.

As to your other problem, it seems to me that it would be best if you can find a source with proper Line outs to see if the problem persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back