Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2,026 of 3,428
I'm honestly embarrassed to say. Too much for my own good. These was a time when I wanted to stay in academia, but it got kinda boring. I have a much more exciting job now, but I can't tell anyone what I do. My friends believe that I'm in IT.

Ha, sounds mysterious :wink: You cant tell because you would be unable to explain or because of the secrecy that comes with the job? :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #2,030 of 3,428
I don't mean to sound cryptic, but I just can't say.

beerchug.gif

And you have serial number 007....  Hmmm.... I wonder if this is only a coincidence? lol :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,031 of 3,428
Well guys, I sure do feel myself in hallowed company...you obviously all have very good taste to be here, lol!

K4RL...I always suspected the Elise would be a step up from the Crack...glad you're liking her already (and still only early days...).

Shaffer....what can I say?... 007 would appear to be rather appropriate!

a 1er...you'll be paying the Feliks guys a visit, of course?!

Renderman...those tubes should be REAL good - look forward to your (and Mister X's) findings. As for my ECC31s, I can only tell how one sounds coupled with the C3GS I'm afraid...which is probably how things will stay - firstly because I just LOVE the music the pair is making, and secondly because this tube does get the trafo a fair bit hotter, so I don't think I'm gonna take any unnecessary chances (yet!!).
But what I can say at the moment is take all the best qualities of the C3g and add that extra bass and mids I mentioned before. So the sound is somewhat fuller, and the treble is sweeter when handling tracks with over-enthusiastic/poor quality treble recording. The later ('50s) model has slightly more treble, so the earlier tubes might better suit those sensitive to the top end.
All in all I would say this is one mighty tube - which explains why some serious head-fi guys have rated this ( or rather the 32, which is basically the same) ABOVE the mighty Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plate 6SN7. And of course the CV181 (same tube) is also legendary...

But I must repeat...I do NOT recommend anyone using two of these tubes just yet...I must do a lot more testing yet to even think of that!

Cheers everyone...

Edit.  Apologies if I have confused people - it would appear I have done for Lord Raven!...when referring to not using "two of these tubes" I meant use one ECC31 IN COMBINATION with a different second tube...so TWO drivers still needed, lol!...and as per my later posts, I am in fact now running two ECC31s with no obvious problems...as yet!!

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,038 of 3,428
I can't help thinking about 004's comment. We are an international group that's obviously very well educated. I don't think it's out of line to assert that this thread is unlike most others on the forum. My personal academic interest lies in behavioral economics and I'm pretty good at it. Usually. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why we're all drawn to this amplifier.

Thoughts?

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #2,039 of 3,428
Some who now own the Elise used to own a Little Dot. And over the past several years, a number of us became friends as we all took an amazing and wonderful journey together in order to squeeze as much goodness as possible out of our LDs. After having gone as far as we could with the LD, you might say it was time to "graduate" and find new challenges and adventures. A significant number have landed here in the land of Elise and started a new journey together. As a fellow LD traveler I bought a different amp when I graduated, but I like to stop by to see how my friends are doing. :)

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,040 of 3,428
Some who now own the Elise used to own a Little Dot. And over the past several years, a number of us became friends as we all took an amazing and wonderful journey together in order to squeeze as much goodness as possible out of our LDs. After having gone as far as we could with the LD, you might say it was time to "graduate" and find new challenges and adventures. A significant number have landed here in the land of Elise and started a new journey together. As a fellow LD traveler I bought a different amp when I graduated, but I like to stop by to see how my friends are doing. :)

Works for me.

Edit: So it's propinquity, not dispersion. Very interesting, especially as I'm not watching from the sidelines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back