Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 8, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #2,041 of 3,428
Ahhh, early Saturday morning, bliss for tube headphone amplifiers, everything is quiet and very clean power :) Great time to relax and just listen to the music.

I might be the odd one out here, I never owned an LD and my first ever tube amplifier was the Little Bear P8 and, that was just before owning an Elise. Things quickly went down hill from there as I now onw far too many tubes :p

Still looking for Philips 6SN7GTs locally, hope to find a really nice pair or at least a single tube to compliment the one I already have.

</rant>

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2,042 of 3,428
I can't help thinking about 004's comment. We are an international group that's obviously very well educated. I don't think it's out of line to assert that this thread is unlike most others on the forum. My personal academic interest lies in behavioral economics and I'm pretty good at it. Usually. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why we're all drawn to this amplifier.

Thoughts?

No mystery really, 007....have you not yet twigged? As a professional hypnotherapist trained in LA I've been hypnotizing y'all!!
wink_face.gif

But seriously, as per the gist of gibosi's comments, I fervently hoped some of the camaraderie/bonhomie/knowledge/helpfulness of the LD tube rolling guide would migrate over here...and it sure has, lol!
And perhaps the fact that it is one darn' good (and nice-looking) amp also has something to do with it!!

CHEERS!

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #2,043 of 3,428
Ahhh, early Saturday morning, bliss for tube headphone amplifiers, everything is quiet and very clean power :) Great time to relax and just listen to the music.

I understand completely. It's ~4:30AM in NY. The family is asleep, it's dead quiet, the power is clean, and my three cats and the big, scary dog - just ask the mailman - are hanging out with me. Heaven.

I might be the odd one out here, I never owned an LD and my first ever tube amplifier was the Little Bear P8 and, that was just before owning an Elise. Things quickly went down hill from there as I now onw far too many tubes :p

I started out with a LDIII as my first tube HP amp. Didn't hate it, but also didn't love it. It did make for a synergistic combination with HD600 and K550, so I wasn't entirely unhappy. Still, it didn't really do it for me. This being said, I wouldn't mind finding a used LD9 in time for my wife to buy it for my birthday. Same tubes as we use, almost, and I'd like to play with it. What I really want is a Zana Deux in addition to the Elise and the DV336SE.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #2,044 of 3,428
I understand completely. It's ~4:30AM in NY. The family is asleep, it's dead quiet, the power is clean, and my three cats and the big, scary dog - just ask the mailman - are hanging out with me. Heaven.
I started out with a LDIII as my first tube HP amp. Didn't hate it, but also didn't love it. It did make for a synergistic combination with HD600 and K550, so I wasn't entirely unhappy. Still, it didn't really do it for me. This being said, I wouldn't mind finding a used LD9 in time for my wife to buy it for my birthday. lSame tubes as we use, almost, and I'd like to play with it. What I really want is a Zana Deux in addition to the Elise and the DV336SE.

Yes nighttime is bliss for us. Most of the time I sleep during the night tho :)

The little bear is also not a bad amplifier for the money and served as a nice test platform to see if I liked tubes at all. Far from perfect but I could hear there was some merrit to tube amplification. As always started dong some research into a much better but affordable product. That's when stumbled upon the Elise (avant la lettre).

I'm sure the Zana is good amplifier but to me looks are important, I love the Elise's looks, The Deux just does not appeal to me vsually. Also, I like the sound of the Elise and I have no need for more then one HP amplifier. I have too much audio equipment as is. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2,045 of 3,428
Yes nighttime is bliss for us. Most of the time I sleep during the night tho :)

Sleep? What's that? :)

I'm sure the Zana is good amplifier but to me looks are important, I love the Elise's looks, The Deux just does not appeal to me vsually. Also, I like the sound of the Elise and I have no need for more then one HP amplifier. I have too much audio equipment as is. :rolleyes:

I kinda like the retro-industrial look. Over the winter, I emptied my equipment closet on ebay. Well, not all of it, of course. Now it's time to gather more gear. lol

I'm aiming toward winter/spring for the T1. Perhaps next summer, if I don't use the V200 that much, I'll sell it and buy another tube amp.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,046 of 3,428
Sleep? What's that? :)
I kinda like the retro-industrial look. Over the winter, I emptied my equipment closet on ebay. Well, not all of it, of course. Now it's time to gather more gear. lol

I'm aiming toward winter/spring for the T1. Perhaps next summer, if I don't use the V200 that much, I'll sell it and buy another tube amp.

I heard the V200, it's a good amp but it did not sound special to me, there is no magic. Would you really miss it if it was sold? 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,047 of 3,428
I heard the V200, it's a good amp but it did not sound special to me, there is no magic. Would you really miss it if it was sold? 
normal_smile%20.gif

That's exactly the idea I'm struggling with. The V200 was my favorite amp until the Elise came along. We're having a very hot summer and I'm not using cans as much as I'd like. Mostly, I play the big system. Once it cools down a bit and I can compare my amps over time, things should be more clear. At this point, I'm leaning toward selling it. Like you said, the magic isn't there.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,050 of 3,428
  Does anybody know if these tubes are worthwhile to buy? Russian 6H8C from late 70's.

Hi Mordy,

Those look very similar (but not exactly the same) to my 'Foton' 6H8C. Nice sounding tubes, quite balanced, smooth maybe slightly diffuse. I believe I got mine at a very good price, these are usually quite inexpensive. If you can get them for about 6 dollars I'd say its a good deal.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,052 of 3,428
  Does anybody know if these tubes are worthwhile to buy? Russian 6H8C from late 70's.

$_57.JPG

I have 2 pairs of Foton 1962 6H8C they sound nice on WA22, how much do they contribute to the overall sound i dont know but i like them for about $5.00 or $6.00 + shipping  you cant go wrong imo.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2,054 of 3,428
Shaffer, Renderman, gibosi - and anyone else interested in the ECC31 - an update.

Encouraged by a past indication we should be OK with 1A heater drivers, I have taken the plunge and paired my Mullard with the now adapted QTL (another Mullard, which I believe they all are, regardless of brand) and have to admit they have knocked my favourite tube - the Siemens C3g'S' - off its perch. Something I never thought would happen, lol! (but with certain reservations).

With just 20+ hours on them (but only 5 on the adapted section of the QTL), I think I can honestly confirm what others with much more expensive equipment have already stated (with the basically same ECC32)...ie this tube is probably better than ANY 6SN7 on the planet (subject to personal preference of course).

The first main impression is just how SMOOTH and effortless is its presentation. And this is across the entire frequency range. Balance, harmonious integration and perfect control are immediately apparent - you know straight away you are in the presence of something very special indeed.

Clarity, detail, instrument separation are on a par with the C3g (which I personally believe is bettered by VERY few tubes, at ANY cost). Soundstage is wide, with great imaging, and plenty of 'air'. A word that keeps popping into the mind is (tremendous) CONTROL, but not in any kind of cold, clinical sense...rather a wonderful NATURAL way. Nothing tries to dominate...and even the deep, strong bass doesn't impinge in any way at all. The mids give a very seductive 'sheen' to the whole sound, which is where it does have the edge over the C3g. Coupled with a detailed, smoother treble, it handles much better any recording's tendency to sibilance, which can sometimes be the C3g's achilles heel depending on the rest of one's gear...and ears!

The overall presentation is very dynamic and 'full', which the Elise can handle supremely well, so as not to be too overwhelming/tiring. Once again, CONTROLled power is evident here.

In conclusion, I suspect (IMHO) there is no other driver that the Elise can handle - with certain provisos - to match this ECC31/32/CV181.

And the reservations/provisos? :

Sound wise... at the moment, the C3g's greater treble extension and decay do bring an extra 'sparkle' to the sound, which helps provide slightly more air and openness. But for some, this can appear a negative 'sharpness'. Or a 'lightness' as opposed to 'fullness'. Different cans will of course accentuate or diminish such aspects.

Price wise...with the ECC31 going for MUCH less than the 32/CV181 - even with the necessary adapters - I personally think they are tremendous value-for-money, even at about $200 a pair. I would honestly advise to forego any extensive tube 'rolling' and just seek out a pair of these. And as I am getting stellar performance from a '40s tube paired with a '50s one - no untoward anomalies whatsoever - I don't believe you need to worry at all about 'matched' tubes. After all, I have been getting fabulous results when paired with a C3g!!...
  However, so long as the Lorenz C3gs (gold pins) are available from german ebayer omesa-electronics at 19 Euros plus 9 shipping each... (for how long who knows, with just 4 released at a time)...these must actually be a better buy, if the 31s are in fact a bit too pricey. But, of course, C3g adapters for the Elise are not commercially available...

Compatibility wise...although the Feliks-Audio guys can't officially sanction use of the ECC31, as yet I have encountered no problems whatsoever. The higher heater current draw does have the transformer running a good bit hotter - the 31/C3g combo is not too bad at all, and with 2x 31s I can still just about keep my hand on the top of the transformer housing - a measured 42C, with 25C ambient temp. -  (the case stays just warm). And this is at 4.5 hours' running.

So now I'm in somewhat of a dilemna. The two 31s sound so SWEET, and as gibosi hinted to me,SEDUCTIVE! Whether I can live without the C3g's extra sparkle and air, only time will tell. But of course, it's easy enough to swap them around as the mood takes...which I most probably will do, lol! (Who says you can't have TWO loves?!
wink.gif
).

Hope this has given a little food for thought...and of course thanks must go to gibosi for introducing this wonderful tube to us (especially as I had discounted the CV181 a long time ago in the LD days due to its prohibitive cost, even though recommended by guys at the top of their game). CHEERS, g! 
beerchug.gif

ps.  A pair of NOS Mullards have just gone on ebay for $115...an absolute steal!!

pps.  Another pic  :

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #2,055 of 3,428
001 and gibosi, my wife thanks you for my future additional expenditure on audio gear. lol

On a side note, we had a very cool (temp-wise) weekend. I spent most of it listening to the tube HP amps. Both the Elise and the DV ran relatively cool and performed as expected ... until now. Just about a half hour ago I switched to the DV. It sounded distorted and lacking power. Thinking it was due to the old tubes, I rolled some trusted bottles to an identical effect. ATM, I'm letting the DV cool completely and will give it another shot. I'll update the post in a few hours....

The Elise, OTOH, has yet to skip a beat.

Edit: I let the DV get cold, installed the stock tubes and confirmed that something is fried inside. What a POS! At this point I'm not sure if I should have it serviced or write it off as a total loss. Don't think I'll be buying another Chinese amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back