Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 6, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,996 of 3,428
GOOD NEWS Citizenlin....so not too long now...hopefully!

Update on the QTL ECC31...

Things are getting even more interesting : this version, even straight out of the box, is matching the C3gS's treble note decay/extension a bit more than the first, without sacrificing the extra mids and bass, and hence giving back more of the C3g air/spaciousness...NICE! (Which has me wondering - probably completely wrongly! - whether GEC & Mullard had a secret code for tubes that measured higher in certain parameters (like the 'S' in Siemens tubes) - ie. BROWN bases for the 'S' specials, instead of BLACK!!...certainly the brown bakelite looks much nicer...
wink.gif
..as does the translucent glass coating). And the best GEC/Osram 6AS7G variants nearly always seem to have the BROWN...perhaps, perhaps?!

A couple of hours into burn-in and this 2nd tube definitely has the edge over the first...and for a relative song (thank Heavens for a lousy ebay picture!!)
tongue.gif

Oh even happier day...

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,997 of 3,428

Update on the QTL ECC31...

Things are getting even more interesting : this version, even straight out of the box, is matching the C3gS's treble note decay/extension a bit more than the first, without sacrificing the extra mids and bass, and hence giving back more of the C3g air/spaciousness...NICE! (Which has me wondering - probably completely wrongly! - whether GEC & Mullard had a secret code for tubes that measured higher in certain parameters (like the 'S' in Siemens tubes) - ie. BROWN bases for the 'S' specials, instead of BLACK!!...certainly the brown bakelite looks much nicer...
wink.gif
..as does the translucent glass coating). And the best GEC/Osram 6AS7G variants nearly always seem to have the BROWN...perhaps, perhaps?!

A couple of hours into burn-in and this 2nd tube definitely has the edge over the first...and for a relative song (thank Heavens for a lousy ebay picture!!)
tongue.gif

Oh even happier day...

The differences you are hearing are more likely due to construction... 

Your first ECC31 was manufactured in the 1940's and the second in the 1950's. The differences in construction are very noticeable, and not surprisingly, they sound different.

To the best of my knowledge, the brown miconal base, due to its composition, provided better RF shielding and extremely good dc resistance, but was more difficult to mold and thus more expensive. You often find these bases on tubes destined for use in very demanding operating environments, such as the military and industry. However, given that our amps operate in relatively comfortable and quiet settings, the more common black phenolic base is more than adequate. :)

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,998 of 3,428

The differences you are hearing are more likely due to construction... 

Your first ECC31 was manufactured in the 1940's and the second in the 1950's. The differences in construction are very noticeable, and not surprisingly, they sound different.

To the best of my knowledge, the brown miconal base, due to its composition, provided better RF shielding and extremely good dc resistance, but was more difficult to mold and thus more expensive. You often find these bases on tubes destined for use in very demanding operating environments, such as the military and industry. However, given that our amps operate in relatively comfortable and quiet settings, the more common black phenolic base is more than adequate. :)

So, g, no conspiracy theory lol?!.. at least the brown base has a certain positive significance. Thanks for the info.

For me anyway, this appears to be a case where - unlike the norm -  the earlier tube may not in fact be the better one...but of course the usual caveats of preference/gear come into play here. But at the moment I can't notice anything missing from the earlier one as a price for the gains...but it's still early days...

Oh, and by the way, this later one doesn't have the 'flash' on startup...

The higher current draw does (obviously!) have the trafo getting somewhat hotter, and that's with just one running with the C3gS. So with two - which I have yet to try - I don't think I would want to run the amp for anything over 5 hours at a time, or thereabouts...certainly no 10+ hrs burn-in sessions!! But as I 'm now pretty sure I will be staying with the C3gS/'50s ECC31 combo I don't have any worries at all about the Elise's ability to handle this tube.

With another few hours on this tube, things are getting better and better...this is truly a marriage made in Heaven LOL...

Thanks once more for throwing this tube into the ring...good one, g!

CHEERS...
beerchug.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,000 of 3,428

For me anyway, this appears to be a case where - unlike the norm -  the earlier tube may not in fact be the better one...but of course the usual caveats of preference/gear come into play here. But at the moment I can't notice anything missing from the earlier one as a price for the gains...but it's still early days...

Thanks once more for throwing this tube into the ring...good one, g!

I too am very pleased that the ECC31 sounds as good as it does. And I have to admit, I am now very curious to try a 1950's-era ECC31 to see how it compares to the older WWII-era ones.

Cheers

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #2,001 of 3,428

I too am very pleased that the ECC31 sounds as good as it does. And I have to admit, I am now very curious to try a 1950's-era ECC31 to see how it compares to the older WWII-era ones.

Cheers

I do hope the extra treble suits you, mon ami!...
wink_face.gif

Now a message to ALL...

Lukasz has just informed me they cannot officially OK use of the ECC31, it not being a straight one-for-one replacement...so anyone wishing to give them a try must do so at their own risk. I advise you to let ME give this tube a good long testing before taking the plunge. So stay tuned!!

ps. C'mon R...give us the the full CV# - 280?...!!

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #2,003 of 3,428
CV2821 = ECC33! WoW! I would love to hear those! :)

Anyway, before the recent arrival of the ECC31 and the B36, I had been having a rather wonderful love affair with the National Union 6F8G. Now that I have spent some time with these new tubes, I thought I should go back to the NU to see if I still loved her. lol. :)

And the answer is yes, at least in comparison with the B36. The NU is just a tad bit warmer, with more body and fullness in the upper bass and lower midrange. The B36 is a terrific tube, but to my ears and gear, the NU sounds better.

Hope to find some time this weekend to compare the NU directly with the ECC31.

1942 NU rebranded as a Philco (note the round plates) and a 1952 MOV/GEC B36

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,004 of 3,428
I kicked my Crack off my desk tonight to make room for the Elise. I was going to post a pic, but it looks like my account doesn't have permission to post pictures yet? 
confused_face_2.gif
 Anyway, I can already hear some differences fresh out of the box. It'll surely take a while to really put my finger on it, but I'm clearly hearing little things here and there that I hadn't heard before with the Crack. I think the Elise is missing some of the "thickness" that the Crack provides, but it's a difference that could easily be resolved by burning in the new Elise tubes. Interestingly, I've been sticking these same winged 'C' tubes in my Crack for a couple years, so it should make for a fair-ish comparison. 

Also, my power indicator on the front is a very dim, orange LED instead of the white ones I've seen in this thread. I like how unobtrusive it is (i.e. opposite of schiit gear), plus it even matches the orange glow of the tubes.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,008 of 3,428
Hi K4RL,

The only orange indicator light on my Elise is the on/off switch in the back which for some reason is illuminated. The front panel has a little blue LED, thankfully not bright but unobtrusive.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,009 of 3,428
Oh, so you got the orange led on the front panel? I asked Lukasz for a dim red or orange led but he replied it would be difficult and therefore unlikely to realize. I usually listen in the late evening hours and put something in front of the little yet blinding blue light. This is disappointing :frowning2:

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #2,010 of 3,428
Hi agnostic1er,

First I would like to congratulate you on your thorough review - well done! The only point I disagree on is that the Elise continues to break in even after 100-110 hours. In my case I felt it had reached its peak first after some 150 hours.

All the best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back