Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Mar 1, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #8,431 of 13,846
Well @arie123 and all other Loreena McKennitt fans, I have to say I'm simply blown away by the DVD (plus 2x CDs!) of her concert "Nights from the Alhambra"...such an incredible venue and even more amazing performance!

Although most of the numbers are already on other CDs, to see her perform live - along with a host of top-class musicians - takes everything to whole new levels of experience...what I would have given to be there (had I known about her back then...
redface.gif
). Seldom have I heard performers able to match on stage what goes onto a studio recording - such professional musicianship from ALL concerned brings joy to my heart, lol. And the quality of the recording is equally magnificent - the 2-channel PCM sound option (on top of 5-1 surround) fed to Elise via my Audiolab's DAC is so good I could cry. This whole DVD is one I shall treasure forever...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #8,433 of 13,846
Understand. Using both sides certainly makes sense.

tongue.gif

It certainly does. More gain! But the funny thing is that I triggered this discussion after reading this post from  Lord Raven 

The best Jazz sound through Mazda 6N7G and Chatham 6AS7G. However, I cannot go loud, there's distortion or clipping. Average volume listening is least fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm in love with 6N7G sound for Jazz music. Mazda does not pair well with 5998 cause again, huge gain causes clipping in sound
smily_headphones1.gif

My idea was: the 6N7G has two triodes in parallel in one tube (connected at the kathode end by the way, so 'inseparable' and not usable for stereo). If Lord Raven's problem is really too much gain having only one triode could be better. that could be achieved by not using some pins, or by using the single triode equivalent of the 6N7G, which is the 6C5G. One would expect a similar sonic signature from that (if the construction is the same) , just less gain

BUT - and that could be a big but (one t only
wink_face.gif
) : is too much gain really causing Lord Raven's problem? I can live without an answer, but hey, this thread is about tube rolling isn't it...

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #8,434 of 13,846

It certainly does. More gain! But the funny thing is that I triggered this discussion after reading this post from  Lord Raven 

The best Jazz sound through Mazda 6N7G and Chatham 6AS7G. However, I cannot go loud, there's distortion or clipping. Average volume listening is least fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm in love with 6N7G sound for Jazz music. Mazda does not pair well with 5998 cause again, huge gain causes clipping in sound
smily_headphones1.gif

My idea was: the 6N7G has two triodes in parallel in one tube (connected at the kathode end by the way, so 'inseparable' and not usable for stereo). If Lord Raven's problem is really too much gain having only one triode could be better. that could be achieved by not using some pins, or by using the single triode equivalent of the 6N7G, which is the 6C5G. One would expect a similar sonic signature from that (if the construction is the same) , just less gain

BUT - and that could be a big but (one t only
wink_face.gif
) : is too much gain really causing Lord Raven's problem? I can live without an answer, but hey, this thread is about tube rolling isn't it...

Nope that's not the case with me. My Mazda 6N7G with Chatham 6AS7G or 5998 has no dissortion or clipping. Perfect even with planar magnetic HE560. 

LR heard it too. He brought his Mazda and Visseaux 6N7G to my place to test. Those tubes have distortions on his setup but on mine it was working perfectly.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #8,435 of 13,846

In fact i'm using only Triode 1 pins 4,5,6 and heat 7,8 for 6L6, EL34 and 6M6G.. El34/6L6 are really clean and powerfull tubes and woks well with any cans.  6M6G is like an EL3N but it sound a bit more natural than EL3N for me.

Incredibly interesting! I'm going to try 6C33C (which are single triodes) in the Elise, and I figured if I didn't like the sound, EL34 would be next. Can you compare it to other tubes like 6AS7G, 5998, 6080?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #8,438 of 13,846
Got my terminal strips and worked on my external heat rig:

Have a terminal strip fore and aft to handle connections. When I get the 3x 6BL7 per 6AS7 adapter, it will have just one set of two wires to heat all (6) 6BL7's.

Here is one of the terminal strips, this one handles 6.3 volts AC out to the tubes. Same around back handles incoming AC mains, has a switch and the ground connection. I can now switch off the external heat easier than I can switch off the Elise...

Cheers to all the LUCKY ones...

tongue.gif

Thanks JV

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #8,439 of 13,846
Hi,

Mrs Xu Ling has come out with yet another adapter for triple 6BL7 tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-tube-converter-adapter-for-3-6BL7-instead-6AS7-6080-/201533519050?var=&hash=item2eec5574ca:m:m7QIJQoBJj_pyPJbIpmgyQg

Meanwhile, using dual adapters and EL3N drivers, I have tried to find the best sounding 6BL7 tubes in my system, using the Elise as a preamp for speakers.

So far I have tried Sylvania flat plate; X plate, RCA, GE and Tung Sol.

Although some people feel that the older the tube, the better it might sound, I found the older parallel flat plate Sylvania disappointing. The X (cross) plate Sylvania sound very good.

The RCA sound a little thin in the bass but excellent treble, the GE pretty good all around.

The Tung Sol have the best sound in my system with a very satisfying fat bass and overall excellent sound.

If I were to rank these tubes the order would be:

Tung Sol
Sylvania X plate
GE
RCA
Sylvania Flat plate

YMMV.....

Wonder what would happen if I mixed 6BL7 of different brands?

I also tried 2 BL + 2 6BX7 tubes. The BX tubes are very similar to the BL tubes, but with a mu of 10 instead of 15. I have two Philco/Sylvania BX tubes - the results were disappointing.

Have fun!

Truth is, I am perfectly satisfied with the Elise and EL3N+4x6BL7 tubes. But I was very happy with the Little Dot MKIII with the stock tubes 6AK5 and 6N6P...

If good is good, isn't better better?

PS: Oh no, the prices are creeping up on the 6BL7!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-6BL7GTA-6BL7GT-NATIONAL-NOS-Tube-Valvula-Lampe-TSF-Rohre-Valvola-/401080628238?hash=item5d6244b40e:g:~dYAAOSwzhVWqgxR

$55.00/tube shipped.

Don't worry, the same Sylvania can be yours for less than $10 each.....

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #8,440 of 13,846
Mar 3, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #8,443 of 13,846
In fact i'm using only Triode 1 pins 4,5,6 and heat 7,8 for 6L6, EL34 and 6M6G.. El34/6L6 are really clean and powerfull tubes and woks well with any cans.  6M6G is like an EL3N but it sound a bit more natural than EL3N for me.

I would be very interested to see how you are running the EL34 on the Elise. The EL34 are rated almost four times as powerful than the EL3Ns and have a very good reputation in the recording industry, being used continuously also with the EL84. How much actual power Wrms do you get to your headphones using thes and do you have a pic. Wonder if you could get into the range of some of the more hungry low impedence headphones.

Cheers,
WB

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #8,444 of 13,846
WB2016 said:
I would be very interested to see how you are running the EL34 on the Elise. The EL34 are rated almost four times as powerful than the EL3Ns and have a very good reputation in the recording industry, being used continuously also with the EL84. How much actual power Wrms do you get to your headphones using thes and do you have a pic. Wonder if you could get into the range of some of the more hungry low impedence headphones.

Cheers,
WB

I made an adapter myself  an here you can have a pic with 6L6GC (same pinout as EL34) and 6N7GT.  (the 6L6G is a less powerfull than EL34 and it is already a lot for T1).

The principle used for the adapter is :

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #8,445 of 13,846
Can't figure out this picture taken by Google Street View. Anybody?
Two pink Flamingos
Green chair
Man with horse head eating banana
Cell phone
Flowers on table
????

Apparently, this is a new "viral thing" to wear the horse head mask when the Google Street view car, goes by:

http://www.bbc.com/news/10401345

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back