Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #8,401 of 13,856
I've 4 more coming, making it 10. My 6xEL3N has more than 200 hours now easily and sounding amazing with Gershwin and Friends on Tidal now.

I remember Lukasz reaction when I showed him the photo of Elise with 6 EL3N. He goes WOW 
etysmile.gif

Elise has been with me 4 months now and I've not tire of listening to music with a great selection of tubes (it's a moot point debating what tubes sounds best in Elise because I think there are a great selection tubes that sounds wonderful) and all genre of music. I think the T1 helps greatly here. Perfect combo. HD800 will be too.

I can imagine that sight was not what they had invisioned when doing the visual design of the amp. Might be something they take into consideration when they finally build a balanced model.

Has anyone asked for a custom Elise say with a bigger transformer in it so far? Curious if anyone has and what the pros or cons are apart form price. Some of the quads or even now triple adapters would almost make sense to just opt for a bigger transformer and be future proof. Just like you with the purchases of the EL3Ns:wink:

The nice thing on the EL3Ns as with the whole EL series is that they last and they maintain their sweetspot for a long time as oposed to say a 300B that is optimal only for a few hundred hours...
They leave the EL series on in studios 24h and expected effective sweet spot at 10,000 hours.

Cheers
WB

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #8,402 of 13,856
Hi hypnos1,

Got my driving license on a Volvo PV544. It had a stick shift - a long lever that came out of the floor like on a bus. And of course, it is very fitting that a tube roller drives a Volvo. Volvo is Latin for I roll......

15_volvo_pv544_large.jpg
15_volvo_pv544_large.jpg

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #8,403 of 13,856

I've 4 more coming, making it 10. My 6xEL3N has more than 200 hours now easily and sounding amazing with Gershwin and Friends on Tidal now.

I remember Lukasz reaction when I showed him the photo of Elise with 6 EL3N. He goes WOW 
etysmile.gif

Elise has been with me 4 months now and I've not tire of listening to music with a great selection of tubes (it's a moot point debating what tubes sounds best in Elise because I think there are a great selection tubes that sounds wonderful) and all genre of music. I think the T1 helps greatly here. Perfect combo. HD800 will be too.

I can imagine that sight was not what they had invisioned when doing the visual design of the amp. Might be something they take into consideration when they finally build a balanced model.

Has anyone asked for a custom Elise say with a bigger transformer in it so far? Curious if anyone has and what the pros or cons are apart form price. Some of the quads or even now triple adapters would almost make sense to just opt for a bigger transformer and be future proof. Just like you with the purchases of the EL3Ns:wink:

The nice thing on the EL3Ns as with the whole EL series is that they last and they maintain their sweetspot for a long time as oposed to say a 300B that is optimal only for a few hundred hours...
They leave the EL series on in studios 24h and expected effective sweet spot at 10,000 hours.

Cheers
WB

Believe me Henryk knows a lot more than we do. :)

Feliks Audio has 2 stereo tube amps using 2A3 tubes and those are substantial amps. It will be interesting to see what they do for Mk2 but it won't be till next year.

I wasn't too concerned about balanced until I heard the Audio Gd Master 6 running the HD800s in balanced mode. Simply amazing clarity. However different amps have different implementations.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #8,404 of 13,856
Lukasz told me in an earlier correspondence that it could be an Elise Mk2 or a completely new model above Elise.

I'm hoping it's the latter because I would certainly like to see another ground breaking product from them.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,405 of 13,856
Only one triode is needed per channel, so you would be correct. I believe it is possible to use just a single triode per socket in Elise. This is further evidenced by the guy (can't remember who it is now) who's running a single 6AS7G in Elise, and not two. 

It was @hpamdr

Here is his post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/8010#post_12350556

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #8,406 of 13,856

etysmile.gif

Cheers
WB

Funny you should say that, WB...'cos I was about to post my surprise at (yet another!) revisit to an ELO track I've used for assessment purposes for years now, as I know practically every single note in it by now, lol - and blow me down if I didn't hear notes I've not noticed before...once again!!
biggrin.gif

And so there are now only three variables that can explain this : burn-in of the EL3Ns; burn-in of their adapting wires, and (possibly!) the phenomenon I mentioned recently concerning the 'optimal' signal transfer of prolonged pure metal-to-metal surface contacts. Given the degree of change I have noticed and reported on previously re. this tube's burn-in, your post has me veering more towards this as explanation, lol...

Which prompts me to state that it appears the EL3N needs very long burn-in after all, to achieve its "sweet spot" - I am well over 200 hrs by now with mine, and last night's revelation has confirmed my suspicions of a still-improving sound from these tubes...amazing!

ps. Yes indeed, mon ami, you were very wise to get those tubes from Peter in advance!
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Hi hypnos1,

Got my driving license on a Volvo PV544. It had a stick shift - a long lever that came out of the floor like on a bus. And of course, it is very fitting that a tube roller drives a Volvo. Volvo is Latin for I roll......

15_volvo_pv544_large.jpg
15_volvo_pv544_large.jpg

So that explains it, lol...I can blame the Volvo (and thus my better half can also, instead of me...PHEW!!
wink_face.gif
).

I now realise I was very insulting to my beloved car....did I say boring?...compared to the older models my S60 D5 is almost sexy - and with her chipped to over 200bhp is no slouch either!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #8,407 of 13,856
  Lukasz told me in an earlier correspondence that it could be an Elise Mk2 or a completely new model above Elise.

I'm hoping it's the latter because I would certainly like to see another ground breaking product from them.

Hey UT....now you've got me in the same state as @arie123, lol!!
wink_face.gif
...(I do not envy those guys' decision-making - I can hear the sqabbles in the meeting room already!!).

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #8,408 of 13,856

Even though I didn't hear the twin triode 6N7G yet, I still like to know if the single triode 6C5G would be usable alternative or not. Is there anyone knowledgeable enough willing to comment on that?

Hi arie123.

As has been pointed out, hpamdr did adapt a single 6AS7G to feed both power sockets, using basically the same principle as in the C3g and EL3N adaptation - ie. grid 1 of the  tube's relevant triode feeding grid 1 (of triode#1) of the amp's socket, and its anode and cathode feeding a2 and K2 of socket's triode#2....make sense, lol?!...hope so!!
bigsmile_face.gif

CHEERS!

ps. Loreena's "Nights from the Alhambra" has just arrived...can't wait to see her in concert on the DVD...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #8,409 of 13,856
Due to a bout with the flu and the fact that my dual EL3N adapters have not arrived, I've been silent recently. But I have loved the discussion of the Atma-Sphere amps. I had Ralph Karsten's original MA-1. Truly amazing, but obviously the company has evolved dramatically since then. They certainly kept me toasty warm during cold winter nights here on the High Sonoran Desert. Don't ask me about the summers ((((

This is primarily a tube rolling thread and so I probably won't be posting much in the future. I'll report on my results with the quad EL3Ns but for now I'm happily using the EL3N/Chatham 6AS7G combination, and can highly recommend it. For the foreseeable future, I don't plan on adding more tubes to my bulging tube drawer, unless I finally give in to buying a pair of the famous @hypnos1 GECs!!!
And @UntilThen certainly hasn't helped my lingering obsession with the Senn HD800s
beyersmile.png

For those who are still waiting for your new Elise, I am confident you will be thrilled. I personally prefer the EL3Ns over any other driver tube I have tried, and suspect that the quad EL3N powers will become my standard for the power slots until I cave on the GECs. If not, the Chatham 6AS7Gs (or my TS 6520s) will do just fine. For those of you who plan to move on to other amps or are anxiously awaiting for Elise 2 or whatever the Feliks boys dream up, I hope you will keep us fully informed.

There was a time in my life where I could not read about things like that without feeling there was a big hole in my life that had to be fed with the latest and greatest. I fully understand and respect the fun and fascination that can come with tube-rolling or equipment-rolling. I guess my only word of caution coming from an old geezer is to not let it become a drug. A drug addict will sacrifice just about anything for his drug, including financial and family obligations. And yet the drug never brings happiness - just an increasing need for more drugs. If your life and checkbook remain balanced, and this hobby brings you real satisfaction, then by all means go for it. Just keep us advised so those like me can live vicariously through your experiences)))

If I'm not here much, I'll still be looking in every day, and happily listening to wonderful music thanks to all the great information and help I have received here.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #8,410 of 13,856
As has been pointed out, hpamdr did adapt a single 6AS7G to feed both power sockets, using basically the same principle as in the C3g and EL3N adaptation - ie. grid 1 of the  tube's relevant triode feeding grid 1 (of triode#1) of the amp's socket, and its anode and cathode feeding a2 and K2 of socket's triode#2....make sense, lol?!...hope so!! :bigsmile_face:

Hello H1 - do you know if the same is true for the Driver positions? That an adapter can be made to use one, instead of two driver tubes, in the Elise?

Appreciate your thoughts...

:p

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,411 of 13,856
Due to a bout with the flu and the fact that my dual EL3N adapters have not arrived, I've been silent recently. But I have loved the discussion of the Atma-Sphere amps. I had Ralph Karsten's original MA-1. Truly amazing, but obviously the company has evolved dramatically since then. They certainly kept me toasty warm during cold winter nights here on the High Sonoran Desert. Don't ask me about the summers ((((

This is primarily a tube rolling thread and so I probably won't be posting much in the future. I'll report on my results with the quad EL3Ns but for now I'm happily using the EL3N/Chatham 6AS7G combination, and can highly recommend it. For the foreseeable future, I don't plan on adding more tubes to my bulging tube drawer, unless I finally give in to buying a pair of the famous @hypnos1
 GECs!!!
And @UntilThen certainly hasn't helped my lingering obsession with the Senn HD800s :beyersmile:

For those who are still waiting for your new Elise, I am confident you will be thrilled. I personally prefer the EL3Ns over any other driver tube I have tried, and suspect that the quad EL3N powers will become my standard for the power slots until I cave on the GECs. If not, the Chatham 6AS7Gs (or my TS 6520s) will do just fine. For those of you who plan to move on to other amps or are anxiously awaiting for Elise 2 or whatever the Feliks boys dream up, I hope you will keep us fully informed.

There was a time in my life where I could not read about things like that without feeling there was a big hole in my life that had to be fed with the latest and greatest. I fully understand and respect the fun and fascination that can come with tube-rolling or equipment-rolling. I guess my only word of caution coming from an old geezer is to not let it become a drug. A drug addict will sacrifice just about anything for his drug, including financial and family obligations. And yet the drug never brings happiness - just an increasing need for more drugs. If your life and checkbook remain balanced, and this hobby brings you real satisfaction, then by all means go for it. Just keep us advised so those like me can live vicariously through your experiences)))

If I'm not here much, I'll still be looking in every day, and happily listening to wonderful music thanks to all the great information and help I have received here.

Excellent post, pctazhp!

Were you planning on auditioning the multiple 6BL7's at all?

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #8,412 of 13,856
Excellent post, pctazhp!

Were you planning on auditioning the multiple 6BL7's at all?

Cheers!

tongue.gif

Thanks JV. I haven't ruled that out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying that for a 600 ohm headphone (like the T1), the triple 6BL7 adapters really should be used. So I guess if I do try the multiple 6BL7s, it would be with the triple adapters. For right now, I'm taking a break from anything new. I'm still not retired (just not in my nature) but I work mainly at home unless I go to court or meet clients at my office. I love listening to music while working at home, and my current setup is great for that. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #8,413 of 13,856

Hi arie123.

As has been pointed out, hpamdr did adapt a single 6AS7G to feed both power sockets, using basically the same principle as in the C3g and EL3N adaptation - ie. grid 1 of the  tube's relevant triode feeding grid 1 (of triode#1) of the amp's socket, and its anode and cathode feeding a2 and K2 of socket's triode#2....make sense, lol?!...hope so!!
bigsmile_face.gif

CHEERS!

ps. Loreena's "Nights from the Alhambra" has just arrived...can't wait to see her in concert on the DVD...
biggrin.gif

In fact i'm using only Triode 1 pins 4,5,6 and heat 7,8 for 6L6, EL34 and 6M6G.. El34/6L6 are really clean and powerfull tubes and woks well with any cans.  6M6G is like an EL3N but it sound a bit more natural than EL3N for me.

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #8,414 of 13,856
In fact i'm using only Triode 1 pins 4,5,6 and heat 7,8 for 6L6, EL34 and 6M6G.. El34/6L6 are really clean and powerfull tubes and woks well with any cans.  6M6G is like an EL3N but it sound a bit more natural than EL3N for me.

Very nice, hpamdr!!

Appreciate the information, and I am still hoping to see a photo of this custom adapter :)

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back