Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #8,416 of 13,856
Thanks JV. I haven't ruled that out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying that for a 600 ohm headphone (like the T1), the triple 6BL7 adapters really should be used. So I guess if I do try the multiple 6BL7s, it would be with the triple adapters. For right now, I'm taking a break from anything new. I'm still not retired (just not in my nature) but I work mainly at home unless I go to court or meet clients at my office. I love listening to music while working at home, and my current setup is great for that. 

Sounds good pctazhp!

As you said, being satisfied with your chosen setup is the best way to go :)

Cheers, and Enjoy!

:p

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #8,417 of 13,856
Hello H1 - do you know if the same is true for the Driver positions? That an adapter can be made to use one, instead of two driver tubes, in the Elise?

Appreciate your thoughts...

tongue.gif

I suppose one double triode driver could be split in such a way JV, but can't imagine why one would want to try this, given the Feliks guys decided on TWO drivers as they found it gave better results, lol!!
wink_face.gif

In fact i'm using only Triode 1 pins 4,5,6 and heat 7,8 for 6L6, EL34 and 6M6G.. El34/6L6 are really clean and powerfull tubes and woks well with any cans.  6M6G is like an EL3N but it sound a bit more natural than EL3N for me.

Hi hpamdr....congrats on your adapter work...

So presumably you're using 2 of these pentodes as powers, not drivers?

Interesting re the 6M6G which = EL33 = Octal-based EL3N...

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #8,418 of 13,856
I suppose one double triode driver could be split in such a way JV, but can't imagine why one would want to try this, given the Feliks guys decided on TWO drivers as they found it gave better results, lol!! :wink_face:

Hello H1 -

I have a interest in it, because I have some classic 6SN7's, but have only one and not a pair.

Seems odd to me that you would have two triodes available in a tube, but use only one of the two?

Seems more logical that you feed the same signal to both triodes for twice the amplification?

Cheers...

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #8,420 of 13,856

Funny you should say that, WB...'cos I was about to post my surprise at (yet another!) revisit to an ELO track I've used for assessment purposes for years now, as I know practically every single note in it by now, lol - and blow me down if I didn't hear notes I've not noticed before...once again!!
biggrin.gif

And so there are now only three variables that can explain this : burn-in of the EL3Ns; burn-in of their adapting wires, and (possibly!) the phenomenon I mentioned recently concerning the 'optimal' signal transfer of prolonged pure metal-to-metal surface contacts. Given the degree of change I have noticed and reported on previously re. this tube's burn-in, your post has me veering more towards this as explanation, lol...

Which prompts me to state that it appears the EL3N needs very long burn-in after all, to achieve its "sweet spot" - I am well over 200 hrs by now with mine, and last night's revelation has confirmed my suspicions of a still-improving sound from these tubes...amazing!

ps. Yes indeed, mon ami, you were very wise to get those tubes from Peter in advance!
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

So that explains it, lol...I can blame the Volvo (and thus my better half can also, instead of me...PHEW!!
wink_face.gif
).

I now realise I was very insulting to my beloved car....did I say boring?...compared to the older models my S60 D5 is almost sexy - and with her chipped to over 200bhp is no slouch either!!
biggrin.gif

Hi H1,

this comes from talks with Tim Paravicini about studio equipment, philosophy of audio and value in hifi. My friend the audio installer likes the 300Bs, but he almost never pays for them he burns them in for clients and swaps them later giving him a bit of time with the tubes for a few pounds paid for by the clients, well few for them:wink:. Yeah, he has a device for burning in tubes, then gets to listen to them for a while and he gets paid also to swap the "old" tubes out.... "Its a dirty job but someone has to do it".

The problem with a lot of tubes is that they do not remain consistent and are therefore not really suitable for studio work, where the system is kept on 24 hours for weeks months or even years. EL34, EL84, EL519 burn in is closer to 250-300 hours then the stay consistent for incredibly long. They also run a lot of them in a type of externally heated DC.

Tim "ignored the weak and vulnerable, inferior and obsolete direct-heated triodes (such as the 300B). He based his design on his favorite valve, the 6KG6/EL519, developing a new operating mode called Enhanced Triode Mode, or ETM for short.

This revolutionary new circuit cleverly tied the control grid (G1) to the cathode, removing the potential difference between the two, and fed the control signal into the screen grid (G2). This gave better, more linear results than directly heated triodes, with the added advantages of high anode power rating, good valve availability and maximum reliability."

http://www.allegrosound.com/EAR-Yoshino_869_2_AllegroSound.html

So H1 they might still get better:wink: and you should save a lot of money on tube replacement.

Cheers
wb

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #8,421 of 13,856
Hello H1 -

I have a interest in it, because I have some classic 6SN7's, but have only one and not a pair.

Seems odd to me that you would have two triodes available in a tube, but use only one of the two?

Seems more logical that you feed the same signal to both triodes for twice the amplification?

Cheers...

tongue.gif

Hi JV,
Technically, Elise can work with 4 triodes ! two on the driver stage and two on the power...
You have some sonic advantage to use doule triode mounted in parallel in the driver section. But the same kind of adapter 1 did for output tube can be done for 6SN7..
The schem is the folowing :
Right adapter i use pin 4,5,6,7,8 to socket pin 4,5,6,7,8  Left adapter i use pin 4,5,6 to socket pin 1,2,3... i use plain coper 0.8mm wire with tubbing and twist heater wires.
--- edited typo --- left adapter

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #8,422 of 13,856
Hi JV,
Technically, Elise can work with 4 triodes ! two on the driver stage and two on the power...
You have some sonic advantage to use doule triode mounted in parallel in the driver section. But the same kind of adapter 1 did for output tube can be done for 6SN7..

The schem is the folowing :
Right adapter i use pin 4,5,6,7,8 to socket pin 4,5,6,7,8  Left adapter i use pin 5,6,7 to socket pin 1,2,3... i use plain coper 0.8mm wire with tubbing and twist heater wires.

Got it.

Thank you, hpamdr!!

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #8,424 of 13,856
  And @UntilThen certainly hasn't helped my lingering obsession with the Senn HD800s
beyersmile.png

Don't obsess over the HD800s. I'm not entirely convinced I like it better than my T1. I would probably have to live with it for a month to come to a conclusion. A lot of people prefer the T1 over the HD800 and vice versa. It's a personal preference. Both are very good headphones (again a lot of people will disagree) that's for sure but yeah stick with the T1 with Elise, you'll be more than happy. I am. 
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #8,428 of 13,856
Hello H1 -

Cheers...

tongue.gif

Hi JV.

As hpamdr says, using both triodes delivers certain advantages - which is why the Elise has the 2 drivers, with both triodes in each linked and therefore used...
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back