Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Aug 27, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #13,006 of 13,846
  Hey guys. I got a pair of Tungsol/Chatham 6080WAs in. I like it better than what the EL3N + 7236 so far. After going back to the 7236, the treble seemed a little sharp to my ears. The first listen I thought the 7236 + EL3N combo not overly bright and good sounding to my ears, but last night, I think my ears have had too much time with headphones, because it was a little painful to listen to - but again I am pretty sensitive to treble frequencies. I think I should wait until I listen for a few days before I give impressions on these tubes as well, as I don't want to mislead anyone.

Also, a question -- does anyone know what a faded metallic portion overlaying the glass on the top of the tube means? I noticed that most new tubes have the silver metallic deposit completely covering the top portion of the tube. I'm under the impression that it means that it is an old used tube that has been used frequently. I bought these 6080WA's and I think it's possible the Tungsol version that I received may be used and at the end of its' life and just want to make sure... Thanks

Hi r89.

Do your 7236s have many hours on them yet? Are your TS/Chathams used, with many more hours on 'em?...more time should indeed clarify things a bit further...
tongue.gif

I used to wonder (worry) about such discolouration of the flashing...until I read that it can in fact be a good sign, in that it has done/is still doing its job of absorbing unwanted gases. My own examples have always been just as 'strong' as those with perfect silvering. My NOS QTL-branded Mullard ECC31 also has a small patch on the glass (inside) above one of the heaters, even though the flashing is actually on the bottom...and it performs brilliantly LOL...
darthsmile.gif
...so you should be OK. If your TS were in fact nearing its end, I should think you would notice an imbalance in the output volume...(but hope it isn't!
wink.gif
). CHEERS!

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #13,007 of 13,846
Have been out the whole day playing tour guide to a relative who visited me but now back home with T1 strapped on and ECC31 and 5998 in Elise, I'm rewarded with rich glorious sound. Vivid and amazing instruments placement. Mids sound warm and lush yet intoxicating and bass ... oh so tight and punchy. Incredible tightness and control here. Treble is so sweet and clear. If you love details and clarity, look no further.

Yet despite all the enjoyment I get out of the T1 original, I'm lusting for the HD800 ... not the S. Just the original version. Some time next year. HD800 is my next acquisition. 

Meanwhile enjoy your music and Elise... amazing with T1 and HD800 (short brief listen of the HD800 on Elise at the meet and like it). 
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #13,009 of 13,846
  Have been out the whole day playing tour guide to a relative who visited me but now back home with T1 strapped on and ECC31 and 5998 in Elise, I'm rewarded with rich glorious sound. Vivid and amazing instruments placement. Mids sound warm and lush yet intoxicating and bass ... oh so tight and punchy. Incredible tightness and control here. Treble is so sweet and clear. If you love details and clarity, look no further.

Yet despite all the enjoyment I get out of the T1 original, I'm lusting for the HD800 ... not the S. Just the original version. Some time next year. HD800 is my next acquisition. 

Meanwhile enjoy your music and Elise... amazing with T1 and HD800 (short brief listen of the HD800 on Elise at the meet and like it). 
beerchug.gif

I hope you and the HD800 treble spike will be very happy with each other. If you are lusting for the spike you could go with the HD700 and save a lot of money 
evil_smiley.gif

Oh no!!! Now @hypnos1 is going to have to tell me to be nice to you 
confused_face.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #13,010 of 13,846
Along with a few others I'm not plague by the so call spike in hd800 or T1 original.

What I hear is very clear detail sound which is my preference.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #13,011 of 13,846
Having had the T1 gen1 and the 800 they do compliment each other. I still have to demo the Focal ELear but I don't think I will be missing much I don't get from the Senn.  I had a chance to try the 800s and I prefer the clarity of the original 800 better,  Said to be lacking in bass, but it does not seem that way to me.  Plenty there, it is not a bass head phone, where that is emphathized over the rest of the spectrum,  it is tight and controlled.  But this is my asesment,  I know when the 800s was on the way in there was alot of hasty selling off of used 800 waiting to get the 800s, lots of bargains, but prices are creeping back up, and not as many offered for sale as at first.  The sound stage with the EL3N's and TS 5998 is amazing.  Come on @UntilThen grab a pair, you will love swapping them in with the T1's!

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #13,013 of 13,846
  Having had the T1 gen1 and the 800 they do compliment each other. I still have to demo the Focal ELear but I don't think I will be missing much I don't get from the Senn.  I had a chance to try the 800s and I prefer the clarity of the original 800 better,  Said to be lacking in bass, but it does not seem that way to me.  Plenty there, it is not a bass head phone, where that is emphathized over the rest of the spectrum,  it is tight and controlled.  But this is my asesment,  I know when the 800s was on the way in there was alot of hasty selling off of used 800 waiting to get the 800s, lots of bargains, but prices are creeping back up, and not as many offered for sale as at first.  The sound stage with the EL3N's and TS 5998 is amazing.  Come on @UntilThen grab a pair, you will love swapping them in with the T1's!

OK. You and @UntilThen are ganging up on me. 
basshead.gif
 I'm just a lonely voice crying in the wilderness 
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #13,014 of 13,846
@Spork67 if you want my recommendation on headphones for Elise, you'd have known what it would be.

HD800 or T1 both original versions. That's because I like the speed of both headphones plus amazing clarity and details. Bass is how I like them. Nice and tight.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #13,015 of 13,846
@pctazhp no crying allowed, unless it is after you have seem my picture, then it is okay!  Everyone hears things a little different, I liked the 800s just preferred the 800.  Now if I like the Focal and buy it I will be so lonnnnnnlyyy, right!

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #13,016 of 13,846
  @pctazhp no crying allowed, unless it is after you have seem my picture, then it is okay!  Everyone hears things a little different, I liked the 800s just preferred the 800.  Now if I like the Focal and buy it I will be so lonnnnnnlyyy, right!

Or you can just look down your nose at the rest of us because for a while, at least, you will probably be the only one with the Elear 
wink.gif
 Keep us informed )))

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #13,017 of 13,846
 I never look down my nose, (unless it is running!)  Have to arrange the demo first, guy is hard to reach sometimes.  The write up's are very good, but then my wife told her parents I was really nice too, so your mileage may very!

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #13,018 of 13,846
Tylll's review of the Elears..http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone#txgmXEmGC3q1H8F7.97

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #13,019 of 13,846
  Tylll's review of the Elears..http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone#txgmXEmGC3q1H8F7.97

His reviews of the new Focals and Mr. Speakers have driven the HD800 threads into panic mode))) HD800S has been removed from his Hall of Fame and is no longer listenable. Too bad for them that I remain a lone voice in the wilderness there also when I talk about the Elise 
beyersmile.png

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #13,020 of 13,846
That review sounded very interesting but the very fact that he took the 800 Off the Wall of Fame left the 600 there makes me want to listen to the years but certainly would not take his word for them being that good. Your voice in the wilderness will not be alone. Those folks on the 800 forums that are in a panic are nuts. If they cared that much about what one person says then they didn't really listen to their phones themselves. All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back