1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Oct 1, 2015.
First

Back
857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866
868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877
Next

Last
  1. hypnos1
    Hey @Jozurr...I don't envy you your decisions, given your investment already LOL!

Elise would certainly be a great way of using your ECC31s...not to mention trying some EL3Ns. Just how the final result would stand up against the LG is hard to predict, of course, but I for one would love to hear the results...so if you haven't already been convinced by the guys here, I say go for it...if only to please me and my curiosity! [​IMG] [​IMG]. But I'm sure you wouldn't regret it - with an enterprising curiosity like yours you would probably never forgive yourself if you ignored such impulses, lol! [​IMG]...GOOD LUCK, whatever...[​IMG]...CJ

2. lukeap69

LC Glass vs MZOTL2 vs Elise would be epic!

To help the band convince you @Jozurr , I have few pairs of 6AS7/6080 tubes you can try with the Elise if you so decide to purchase one. And I have quite a few 6BL7's and 6BX7's you can also try if you decide to get adapters! :)

3. mordy
    Hi UT,

With all the talk about using 6SN7 tubes in the Elise I decided to give them a try. In addition to the TS reissue 6SN7GTB I have a box of some twenty 6SN7 tubes - Sylvanias, Tung Sol,RCA, Raytheon, Japanese ? brand. (No Sylvania 6SN7WGT though, but I have GT chrome top tubes).

They all share the distinction of having been plucked from the eBay 99c stores (which BTW, seem to have gone the way of all the 99c stores). A few are pairs, but mainly singles.

Power tubes used were the TS 7236. Alas, with these power tubes all of them sound thin with too much treble emphasis in my system and a narrow sound stage. Even the TS Russian reissues sound thin in this set up.

Switched back to the EL3N tubes - a breath of fresh air: tight bass, great sound stage - everything sounds right.

My question is: Should I try to find a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT tubes? Will they sound so much better than the Russian TS reissues?

4. hypnos1

Hi mordy...my question is : given your findings - in your system - why on Earth would you want to LOL?!! [​IMG]...EL3N rules, OK?! [​IMG]...

5. mordy
    Hi H1,

You are right. Now the next question - and I do not want to open up a can of worms; just want some clarification.

There seemed to be a general consensus that a fancy (read expensive) fuse did (next to) nothing to improve the sound. How can you explain your findings that a little piece of silver wire (or very high quality copper wire) will improve the sound? Is it possible that such a wire works as a tone control?

6. connieflyer
    Any recommendations for socket savers for the elise

7. UntilThen

Mordy, it's very possible that in your setup and with your preference, EL3N and 7236 sounds best to you. I do like that pairing very much. No disputing that.

I don't think you need to hunt down the Sylvania 6SN7wgt if the EL3N / 7236 sounds wonderful to you.

However I've been amazed at a lot of tubes combination in Elise. I have too many loves. [​IMG] Also I listen mainly with headphones, using modded HD650, T1 and HE-560.

This morning I decide to pop these tubes in again. It's made my weekend. With fist pumped, it's a YES moment. [​IMG]

MullardECC31withTungSol5998.jpg

8. hypnos1

Hey UT...does that mean you're not gonna be $300 better off soon, lol?!! [​IMG] ...they are mightily good tubes - but sshhh, don't tell @pctazhp whatever you do...his wallet (and family!) will not thank you! [​IMG] [​IMG]...

ps Thanks for the (matte) spelling correction - thought it looked wrong...@connieflyer's brain rewiring has a lot to answer for! [​IMG] [​IMG]...

9. UntilThen

I have to raise my price to $400 now or a trade with his HD800S [​IMG]

10. hypnos1

Hi m....I presume you mean in tube adapting...

Well, unlike just power wires, in adapters you have of course grid(s), cathode(s) and anode(s) all carrying the all-important signal...and they actually mount up to a fair bit of wire in the end. Different types - and qualities - of wire definitely affect sound, and it did come as a bit of a surprise to me just how much difference relatively small amounts could make when introduced into the signal line.

I suppose in a way you could indeed call them "tone controls"...as opposed to going into the finer aspects of frequency range/electron handling that go beyond mere alteration of said tone, and which I will leave to others far more knowledgeable in such matters than I to elaborate upon LOL!

All I can say is that I personally have experimented a good few times with different combinations of wire when adapting tubes, and have noticed differing end results...different "tones", if you will...[​IMG]...silver wire can be quite different to copper of course, for example...and silver-coated different to pure silver...and then there's 24K gold LOL!!...[​IMG]

11. hypnos1

!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]...

12. pctazhp
    Now. Now. @hypnos1 told you to be nice to me!! I'll give you one more chance before the imminent collapse of the world financial system. I'll trade you a collector's edition of a Frankenstein bobble head doll for your ECC31s [​IMG]

FRANKENSTEIN.jpg

13. richard89
    Hey guys. I got a pair of Tungsol/Chatham 6080WAs in. I like it better than what the EL3N + 7236 so far. After going back to the 7236, the treble seemed a little sharp to my ears. The first listen I thought the 7236 + EL3N combo not overly bright and good sounding to my ears, but last night, I think my ears have had too much time with headphones, because it was a little painful to listen to - but again I am pretty sensitive to treble frequencies. I think I should wait until I listen for a few days before I give impressions on these tubes as well, as I don't want to mislead anyone.

Also, a question -- does anyone know what a faded metallic portion overlaying the glass on the top of the tube means? I noticed that most new tubes have the silver metallic deposit completely covering the top portion of the tube. I'm under the impression that it means that it is an old used tube that has been used frequently. I bought these 6080WA's and I think it's possible the Tungsol version that I received may be used and at the end of its' life and just want to make sure... Thanks

14. HOWIE13

I read it's okay if there is a small circumscribed area of metallic looking dullness above each heater element as this can occur with some tubes even if the tube has only been used for a short time for testing purposes. The ones I have seen are more or less round and about 3mm each in diameter and the tubes have tested strong in all cases. That's not to say they may still not have been used for several days though.
    You can never be 100% certain with tubes-unless it's broke! 

15. hypnos1

Will pass on that one I'm afraid, pct...[​IMG]...now if it were a first edition (signed!) Mary Shelley, I just might be tempted LOL! [​IMG]...and could possibly turn me back into a nice(?!) guy - but don't count on it!!! [​IMG]...(just keep your focus on the glorious EL3N mon ami! [​IMG])...

First

Back
857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866
868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877
Next

Last