Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Nov 10, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #3,334 of 11,833
– Do I move slower than tectonic plates?
– That is a fair question.
– The Valvo C3g/s tubes still sound absolutely fabulous. I'll get back to the EL3Ns. Eventually.
– We've heard that before.
– Never mind. Where's the bolli-stoli?

Ulkopuolella:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR1Y3izii08[/VIDEO]

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,335 of 11,833
  Hi Spork67,

As they say, YMMV - in my system (using Elise as a preamp and listening through speakers) I prefer the RCA 6080 tubes. But my main point is that for $5-7/tube you can get very good sound.

Now, for those of you who want to follow Dl's advice and buy the MWT (Marconi Wire Telegraph?) tubes, there are two NOS for sale from a Canadian seller:

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVE-M-W-T-CV2523-A1834-A-1834-6AS7G-Tube-1-Piece-NEW-/322311485184?hash=item4b0b42f700:g:CxoAAOSwn7JYE7ND

and
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVE-M-W-T-A1834-A-1834-CV2523-6AS7G-Tube-1-Piece-NEW-/322311492898?hash=item4b0b431522:g:is4AAOSwo4pYE6o2

Don't worry about the seller's 0 feedback - he started a new seller account for tubes, but has been selling antique cameras for a while:

In case you have concern about my low feedback, note this is my new ebay account.  I am selling camera, lens, watch on E-bay for more than 10 years. See my other E-bay account by clicking on below links. You can send message to me if you need verification.
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/leica-ur

http://www.ebay.ca/usr/leica-historica

As for me, I am not yet ready to spend $450 for a pair.

You serious, buddy? Those are well overpriced tubes. I cannot tell any difference between the MWT and the GEC. :p

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #3,338 of 11,833
Hi attmci,

MWT was just another GEC label so I am sure that the tubes sound the same. There are early examples with the Marconi label as well. I just cannot get myself to spend almost as much on one pair of tubes as I spent on the amp itself.

PS: I am a Verizon customer

Hi Oskari,

I have several pairs of the Siemens C3g (and one pair of the C3gS) tubes. These are great tubes but in my system they are too bright. Maybe I should spend time on finding the right tube to pair them with...

Here is my favorite tube photo. It is a C3g and the picture was taken by somebody in Scandinavia. I imagine that the beautiful blue color comes from Beryllium.

kwpYBSIWWS3o4zHHszaR87P8ds_qiD-dlw1a_tDPWfoMc1KKXBnlxnfiXMqIBEQbaoAztsHOqscNmgw=w2400-h1350-no

Orange, light blue, pink and fiery white - it has to sound good!

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #3,339 of 11,833
Hi Oskari, remember recommended reading for today is the story of MOV

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,340 of 11,833
  Hi attmci,

MWT was just another GEC label so I am sure that the tubes sound the same. There are early examples with the Marconi label as well. I just cannot get myself to spend almost as much on one pair of tubes as I spent on the amp itself.

PS: I am a Verizon customer

Hi Oskari,

I have several pairs of the Siemens C3g (and one pair of the C3gS) tubes. These are great tubes but in my system they are too bright. Maybe I should spend time on finding the right tube to pair them with...

Here is my favorite tube photo. It is a C3g and the picture was taken by somebody in Scandinavia. I imagine that the beautiful blue color comes from Beryllium.

kwpYBSIWWS3o4zHHszaR87P8ds_qiD-dlw1a_tDPWfoMc1KKXBnlxnfiXMqIBEQbaoAztsHOqscNmgw=w2400-h1350-no

Orange, light blue, pink and fiery white - it has to sound good!

Hey mordy...you (and @Oskari) have got me reminiscing BIG time over my former love
redface.gif
...hard to beat indeed, if one can just tailor the rest of the system to handle its 'eager' treble lol!!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #3,341 of 11,833
I wonder if you could use paint stripper instead of scrapping the paint off the tube. Seems like it would do a good job with out all the pressure on the glass

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #3,342 of 11,833

Ok. :smile:

There was a manufacturer called M-O Valve Co. (MOV), originally Marconi-Osram Valve Co. This was a GEC (Osram being their brand) and Marconi joint venture. Later on, MOV was owned by GEC and EMI, and even later on by GEC alone. So, MOV was the manufacturer. Brands such as Marconi, Osram, MWT, GEC, etc. appeared.

Let's all remember, though, that a particular brand, whether Marconi, Osram, MWT, GEC, Genalex or any other, won't make an M-O Valve product sound any different. Vintage or sample-to-sample variation may...

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #3,343 of 11,833

Ok. :smile:

There was a manufacturer called M-O Valve Co. (MOV), originally Marconi-Osram Valve Co. This was a GEC (Osram being their brand) and Marconi joint venture. Later on, MOV was owned by GEC and EMI, and even later on by GEC alone. So, MOV was the manufacturer. Brands such as Marconi, Osram, MWT, GEC, etc. appeared.

Let's all remember, though, that a particular brand, whether Marconi, Osram, MWT, GEC, Genalex or any other, won't make an M-O Valve product sound any different. Vintage or sample-to-sample variation may...

Loving my setup since 5 months
Powers GEC 6SA7G
Drivers Sylvania 6F8G

I would like to know the date of the Gec's
One SA Z
Second RM Z

Listening with EAD DAC and Audeze LCD-XC
Best overall, soundstage, wonderfull low end and perfect HF even with female voices
Sometimes I change powers to TS 5998 but I have a little bit of harsh HF and SSSSS
As TS 5998 has a greater gain (4,5) than the GEC's (2) I have to slide the volume a bit to have the same equalization
Because my Audeze's are from the bright side (and my ears are not so good) I always had problems with Siemens C3G and I couldn't find any powers to married them, so I could not listen to voices

I insist that I am very happy with the Sylvanias even better than Philips EL3N
I don't mind to spend 400 or more on the CEC's because they send ELISE to a new level of 2000/3000 hi end with this minimalist headphone amp. The better I have heard since 40 years of good Hi end audio, At this time we have, as well, very good registers and downloads, specially at 24bits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back