Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Nov 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3,302 of 11,833

You will still need a 9 pin to 8 pin adapter with that one.
This one will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-12AU7-12AX7-to-6SL7-6SN7-tube-converter-adapter-/201320842633?hash=item2edfa84589:g:ge4AAOSw~gRVuNUb

Cheers,Glenn. I must have been editing my post to include that one just as you were typing your reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Appreciate your help. No idea if E80CC will work but I'll give it a try-it's a favourite tube in my Garage amps, especially for vocals.

The E80CC will work with the 12AU7 adapter.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #3,304 of 11,833
Apologies, Oskari. It looks like the 12A(T,U,V,X)7 class tubes are generally not compatible in the Elise's 6SN7 driver tube slot. However there are 6 volt versions (the ones with parallel wiring) which should definitely work, though needing their own adapter. This data sheet shows the voltage / heater current for both serial and parallel versions of these tubes:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/093/1/12AT7.pdf

Interesting though, on the Ember Tube Rolling thread, the first post has numerous mentions of these 12AX7 tubes used in the Ember, which has one identical 6SN7 slot as the Elise driver slots. I presume they were using a separate adapter, and only the 6v versions, and otherwise the 12v versions probably had little more negative effect than draining more power.

It would be interesting to get this all sorted out though, as it seems the 12A_7 tubes are much more plentiful and even cheaper than the ECC88 / 6DJ7 class, making them much easier to source

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #3,305 of 11,833
Also I've read glowing reviews of the performance of the smaller 6FQ7 tubes, notably in their soundstage. These are the successor of the 6CG7 which are both interchangeable, have identical voltage specs as the 6SN7, yet need their own adapter. No problemo, gold ones here are on the cheap.

Helpful read here:
http://www.effectrode.com/signal-tubes/the-6sn7gt-the-best-general-purpose-dual-triode/

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #3,306 of 11,833
It looks like the 12A(T,U,V,X)7 class tubes are generally not compatible in the Elise's 6SN7 driver tube slot. However there are 6 volt versions (the ones with parallel wiring) which should definitely work, though needing their own adapter. This data sheet shows the voltage / heater current for both serial and parallel versions of these tubes:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/093/1/12AT7.pdf

They are not different versions. Every 12AT7 (etc.) is like that. One can wire the heaters in two different ways, in series or in parallel. For 6V operation in Elise, in parallel is what you want. The correct adapter does this for you.

P.S. Ember is a special case. I hope the folks in the Ember thread will explain it to you.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #3,307 of 11,833
  Also I've read glowing reviews of the performance of the smaller 6FQ7 tubes, notably in their soundstage. These are the successor of the 6CG7 which are both interchangeable, have identical voltage specs as the 6SN7, yet need their own adapter. No problemo, gold ones here are on the cheap.

Helpful read here:
http://www.effectrode.com/signal-tubes/the-6sn7gt-the-best-general-purpose-dual-triode/

My 6CG7 drivers were sounding a bit fruity this morning, perfectly pleasant sound combined with 7236 Powers, but not, in my opinion, as clear or dynamic, or with as wide a sound-stage as the C3g drivers I was using earlier and which sound superb with the 7236's and T1g2.

I also unearthed two 6FQ7 tubes which I had used in Horizon and Ember, but found them quite microphonic. In Elise there is a bit of microphony too, but they still sound sweet and clean- though I didn't think the sound-stage was exceptional, just average good. Perfectly okay drivers, but nothing exceptional.

Here's a couple of pictures:

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3,308 of 11,833
Hi DL,

If you look into the Little Dot tube rolling thread you will find a huge amount of information on the miniature tubes. Since you are in discovery mode, why not try some sub miniature dual triode tubes designed for ballistic missiles - can withstand 500 G.

s-l1600.jpg

This picture is of the Raytheon 6932 - a better sounding one is the Sylvania 7963. There are Russian versions as well.

IMHO these classes of tubes do not sound as good as the octal drivers people have tried on this forum, not to mention the EL3N and similar tubes.

Another miniature tube that sounds quite good is the 5687 but it has a different pin-out than the others.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #3,309 of 11,833
  Hi DL,

If you look into the Little Dot tube rolling thread you will find a huge amount of information on the miniature tubes. Since you are in discovery mode, why not try some sub miniature dual triode tubes designed for ballistic missiles - can withstand 500 G.

s-l1600.jpg

This picture is of the Raytheon 6932 - a better sounding one is the Sylvania 7963. There are Russian versions as well.

IMHO these classes of tubes do not sound as good as the octal drivers people have tried on this forum, not to mention the EL3N and similar tubes.

Another miniature tube that sounds quite good is the 5687 but it has a different pin-out than the others.

Yo mordy...precisely why I left my beloved LD MKIVSE behind and persuaded Feliks-Audio to build the 6SN7/6AS7G amp in the first place...to go FORWARD lol!!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
...(but bringing the excellent C3g with me!
darthsmile.gif
...). But I wouldn't want to spoil folks' fun in experimenting, nevertheless...
wink.gif
...to each his own LOL...
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #3,310 of 11,833
Same experience I had with the Ember, the more I rolled tubes even with the dual tube adapters, it just wasn't enough.  The Elise is turning out to be a very good  cost-benefit piece. Price for what is offered is very good, lots of possible tube combo's each one offers just a slight difference in sound, sound stage and definition.  I have not found any tubes to be over the top as far as "better" just because of the extreme price commanded for some tubes. Lots of inexpensive tubes to consider without breaking the bank. A while back I bought a pair of TS 5998 and while I like them very much, the pair of graphite plate 6080's that I bought for a quarter of the price sound just as good to me, a little different, but well worth the price paid.  I can not justify spending 70-80% of the price of the amp on tubes. Makes no sense to me at all. But to each his own, just wanted to let the folks that don't have and Elise and were reading this thread not to be scared off by the claims that to be happy with this amp you must spend large amounts of money on tubes.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #3,312 of 11,833
So I just chanced upon this discovery:

Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z. These look to be some outstanding performers, and finally we would get an ST-shaped driver tube, as these are a 6SN7 replacement. I think anyone considering this should put aside any bias against Chinese made products - after all HiFiman is Chinese too. I'm personally not going this route yet, but would love to hear from anyone who might take the plunge on this one for the Elise, and I'm sure your ears will thank you too! 

A little reading on these 'treasures':
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Shuguang-Treasure-CV181-Z
http://www.head-fi.org/t/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts/5955#post_12913875
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

PS- These are newer manufactured tubes and are even available on Amazon

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,313 of 11,833
So I've decided I'll probably go for 1 pair each 6FQ7 and 6CG7, and 1 pair each of 12AT7 and 12AV7. The 12A_7 tubes will require the adapter mentioned on the previous page. Surprisingly though it looked like Howie was using the 6FQ7 / 6CG7 in the ECC88 to 6SN7 adapter... are you sure that's safe? I was told these need their own adapter. Maybe I will get a dedicated 6FQ7 / 6CG7 to 6SN7 adapter just to be on the safe side.

Also @HOWIE13, I was using my custom-modded HD-650 headphones for the tube comparisons earlier, mentioned in this mod thread here

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #3,314 of 11,833

Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z. These look to be some outstanding performers, and finally we would get an ST-shaped driver tube, as these are a 6SN7 replacement. I think anyone considering this should put aside any bias against Chinese made products - after all HiFiman is Chinese too. I'm personally not going this route yet, but would love to hear from anyone who might take the plunge on this one for the Elise, and I'm sure your ears will thank you too! 

Wouldn't you call the EL3N an ST shaped (driver) tube, or the Visseaux 6N7G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back