Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Nov 4, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,271 of 11,833
I did not think that there would be such a physical difference in size and detail.  I wonder if they changed the size at some point in the production run.  I remember my amp number 50 was delayed because of "supply problems" with the chassis.  Wonder if they changed it back then.  If not this seems to be a new product. Might be worth the big the big increase in price to have an amp that is so much smaller, I could save money by moving into a small apartment and selling the house since the amp is so much more compact!

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #3,272 of 11,833

Not strong coffee H1-the caffeine will increase your shakes-better a soothing Horlicks, or hot chocolate, with a small whisky-then to work. YIPPEE!!!  
gs1000.gif
beyersmile.png

Well, H13...one large cup already, and...no more shakes!...luckily, this drug doesn't do nasty things to me - that I know of...yet!!

Whereas a dram or two might just have me seeing FOUR gals on the block...then I would be falling on my sword lol!!
wink_face.gif

I did not think that there would be such a physical difference in size and detail.  I wonder if they changed the size at some point in the production run.  I remember my amp number 50 was delayed because of "supply problems" with the chassis.  Wonder if they changed it back then.  If not this seems to be a new product. Might be worth the big the big increase in price to have an amp that is so much smaller, I could save money by moving into a small apartment and selling the house since the amp is so much more compact!

Actually cf, new gal is in fact the bigger of the two (on the left), but mostly down to optical illusion, being in the foreground. Surprisingly, the only real difference in dimension is the transformer housing - a good centimetre taller...probably all the better for more air around the trafo!

And the overall height only greater due to the larger (very impressive looking!) aluminium feet....plus the trafo, of course! But I must admit I did have to double check the measurements...the new one does, for some strange reason, look a fair bit bigger! (Mind you, the recessed sockets of my original also add to the illusion lol...).

Anyway, back to my second cup...and hopefully still no more shakes!!
wink_face.gif
...then I can plug her in, fire her up and...????
dt880smile.png

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #3,273 of 11,833
Thanks for correcting my assumption.  Picture does look somewhat bigger but all considered I stand corrected,(well sitting corrected, just got back from shopping, if it wasn't for the hunger I would not go!).

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,274 of 11,833
Hey h1,

What happened? I can't hear anything??!!!

BTW - there is no way you could have listened to 6080 tubes with the old prototype without socket savers since the sockets are recessed and there isn't enough room for the tube bases of those tubes.

Also, please ask Lukasz to add a little white dot on the volume control.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #3,275 of 11,833
  Hey h1,

What happened? I can't hear anything??!!!

BTW - there is no way you could have listened to 6080 tubes with the old prototype without socket savers since the sockets are recessed and there isn't enough room for the tube bases of those tubes.

Also, please ask Lukasz to add a little white dot on the volume control.

Yo mordy...never did manage to get to use 6080s because of the recess...but wasn't bothered, given my GEC/Osrams lol!!

And now for the new arrival....

At the moment I can only give a brief first impression... after only a few hours, and with any further testing postponed while I sort a potential issue with Lukasz.

Taking into account "early days" and excited anticipation, it is already quite apparent that the mods have indeed brought a very tangible improvement in sound delivery...in fact beyond what I was actually expecting. My main reason for surprise is that I was testing with the original, cheap 6H8C drivers, stock Russian powers and HD650s...and so I wasn't really expecting too much until my best tubes and T1s were in place...boy, was I wrong!!  Even with this extremely modest set-up I was taken aback by what I was hearing...everything was  more than just one notch up the scale - I never thought the 650s could sound so good...and had certainly dismissed them very quickly in my old amp once the T1s came along. And so in a way, I'm glad I didn't start with my "best", as bias might just have tried to influence my judgment LOL!
wink_face.gif
. Sadly, I haven't yet been able to see just what happens when star performers are plugged in...that will have to wait a while I'm afraid. But at least I can see the enormous potential for some very interesting results further down the road...if anything, I would say the F-A guys have been extremely conservative in their praise for the results of their upgrades.

Will keep y'all informed as to progress in the next few days...

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,276 of 11,833

Yo mordy...never did manage to get to use 6080s because of the recess...but wasn't bothered, given my GEC/Osrams lol!!

And now for the new arrival....

At the moment I can only give a brief first impression... after only a few hours, and with any further testing postponed while I sort a potential issue with Lukasz.

Taking into account "early days" and excited anticipation, it is already quite apparent that the mods have indeed brought a very tangible improvement in sound delivery...in fact beyond what I was actually expecting. My main reason for surprise is that I was testing with the original, cheap 6H8C drivers, stock Russian powers and HD650s...and so I wasn't really expecting too much until my best tubes and T1s were in place...boy, was I wrong!!  Even with this extremely modest set-up I was taken aback by what I was hearing...everything was  more than just one notch up the scale - I never thought the 650s could sound so good...and had certainly dismissed them very quickly in my old amp once the T1s came along. And so in a way, I'm glad I didn't start with my "best", as bias might just have tried to influence my judgment LOL!
wink_face.gif
. Sadly, I haven't yet been able to see just what happens when star performers are plugged in...that will have to wait a while I'm afraid. But at least I can see the enormous potential for some very interesting results further down the road...if anything, I would say the F-A guys have been extremely conservative in their praise for the results of their upgrades.

Will keep y'all informed as to progress in the next few days...

Thanks for the update, H1. Sounds very promising, particularly as it improves the HD650 so much.

Here's hoping the potential issue can quickly be resolved and you can continue your assessment without undue delay.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #3,277 of 11,833

I never thought the 650s could sound so good...and had certainly dismissed them very quickly in my old amp once the T1s came along. And so in a way, I'm glad I didn't start with my "best", as bias might just have tried 

Nice to hear the improvements brought about by the new parts h1. Elise is evolving!

Regarding HD-650 - I have dismissed it also when I first heard it. After few months when a friend brought one at home to pair with my Glenn OTL Darna - the next day I have ordered one! The 650 scales well. And this is not a hyperbole.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #3,278 of 11,833

Nice to hear the improvements brought about by the new parts h1. Elise is evolving!

Regarding HD-650 - I have dismissed it also when I first heard it. After few months when a friend brought one at home to pair with my Glenn OTL Darna - the next day I have ordered one! The 650 scales well. And this is not a hyperbole.

Thanks 'Arnold'...have high hopes for its future...

Certainly NOT hyperbole re the 650s...but still wouldn't swap for my T1s LOL!
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,279 of 11,833

I never thought the 650s could sound so good...and had certainly dismissed them very quickly in my old amp once the T1s came along. And so in a way, I'm glad I didn't start with my "best", as bias might just have tried 

I have owned the HD650 twice Arnold.

Great headphone.....Massdrop has one for $199 right now...great deal for anyone looking for one.

At some point I probably will own the HD650 for the third time 
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #3,280 of 11,833
The box of all boxes came in today...​
 ​
 ​
 ​

My Elise will forever love me - and so will my ears!!! I got a cold chill even beholding such valuable artifacts. Now all I need is will power to try them out... somebody please help me! I'm weak! Very peculiar facet of the hobby, sometimes you can only marvel at the sight of your gear...

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #3,281 of 11,833

​
 ​
 ​

My Elise will forever love me - and so will my ears!!! I got a cold chill even beholding such valuable artifacts. Now all I need is will power to try them out... somebody please help me! I'm weak! Very peculiar facet of the hobby, sometimes you can only marvel at the sight of your gear...

Congrats great tubes.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3,283 of 11,833

​
 ​
 ​

Congrats and enjoy....the tone of these are off the hook 
smile.gif

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,284 of 11,833
Making no exception to my style as an unorthodox-listener (ironically so, and not purposed as such)...
These are my initial first-time rankings of my new batch of top 6AS7 class tubes, in order of best to worst:

• Tung-Sol 7236 matched pair
  • GEC 6AS7G  matched pair
  • Bendix 6080 matched pair
  • Tung-Sol 5998 matched pair
  • Chatham 2399 matched pair, green letters
  • GEC 6080 pair

As mentioned these are only initial impressions (and yes this was based off hearing not just ba appearance LOL), and considering things like presentation, coherence, organic timber and bass definition. My take home for day 1 is that the Tung Sol 7236 really have some immaculate synergy with the Elise, while the (curved base) GEC 6AS7G are delightfully colored yet laid back, TS 5998 / Chatham 2399 and Western Electric 421A are all quite similar in both construction and have share a bright dynamic-monster sound. The GEC 6080 (straight form version) are a close 6th place, yet falling on the bright side of neutrality. Those mint condition Bendix (this one being real - more on that to come) are fantastic and those, as well as all of these need more analysis / burn in.

Tung Sol 7236 (actual photo of my unlikely sleeping beauty of a winner)

and PS - this was all done with EL3N as drivers, so a driver change could shake things up yet

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,285 of 11,833
  Making no exception to my style as an unorthodox-listener (ironically so, and not purposed as such)...
These are my initial first-time rankings of my new batch of top 6AS7 class tubes, in order of best to worst:

• Tung-Sol 7236 matched pair
  • GEC 6AS7G  matched pair
  • Bendix 6080 matched pair
  • Tung-Sol 5998 matched pair
  • Chatham 2399 matched pair, green letters
  • GEC 6080 pair

As mentioned these are only initial impressions (and yes this was based off hearing not just ba appearance LOL), and considering things like presentation, coherence, organic timber and bass definition. My take home for day 1 is that the Tung Sol 7236 really have some immaculate synergy with the Elise, while the (curved base) GEC 6AS7G are delightfully colored yet laid back, TS 5998 / Chatham 2399 and Western Electric 421A are all quite similar in both construction and have share a bright dynamic-monster sound. The GEC 6080 (straight form version) are a close 6th place, yet falling on the bright side of neutrality. Those mint condition Bendix (this one being real - more on that to come) are fantastic and those, as well as all of these need more analysis / burn in.

Tung Sol 7236 (actual photo of my unlikely sleeping beauty of a winner)

and PS - this was all done with EL3N as drivers, so a driver change could shake things up yet

You bought these tubes from my best friend.
Stavros has the best collection of tubes I ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back