FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #2,821 of 5,204
i mean... you can literally use the cipher cable on android. I just use with anker lightning to usbC. Only $30. As i said works flawlessly. Not sure with "Never want to bother with EQ so I sold the iSine20" if it's actually the same thing with android.

My understanding is that the key part of the cipher cable is the built-in DAC. It was designed to take the digital signal from the Lightning output and equalize it based on the Harman target curve. That's why the iSine20 will sound so nice when using the cipher cable on the iOS devices (with the Lightning output).

In my opinion for any headphones if they have to be eq'ed in order to sound good then it's not worth keeping it. Especially for the kind of money you pay for iSine20. By eq'ed I mean either the software based equalizer, or hardware based device such as the cipher cable. But, like I said, many people enjoy doing the eq so they should have fun with it. I just thought it's important to mention this kind of caveats when recommending a headphones. The other caveat, which is more important to me, is the comfort. I don't want to spend $500 for a pair of headphones if I can only wear them for 20 minutes. So now these are the reasons I am very interested in the S8F. I am hoping they can perform as good or even better than the qdc Anole V3 ($549 list) or my re-shelled JH13 (cost me almost $400 to re-shell.)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2,822 of 5,204
wow that graph is sexy. roland and lancelot seem to be made of special sauce. the lancelot might have roll off in the upper range that id need to listen.. fearless is bonkers.

i really want the tribrid roland tho it looks consistent across the freq range.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,823 of 5,204
My understanding is that the key part of the cipher cable is the built-in DAC. It was designed to take the digital signal from the Lightning output and equalize it to meet the Harman target curve. That's why the iSine20 will sound so nice when using the cipher cable on the iOS devices (with the Lightning output).

In my opinion for any headphones if they have to be eq'ed in order to sound good then it's not worth keeping it. Especially for the kind of money you pay for iSine20. By eq'ed I mean either the software based equalizer, or hardware based device such as the cipher cable. But, like I said, many people enjoy doing the eq so they should have fun with it. I just thought it's important to mention this kind of caveats when recommending a headphones. The other caveat, which is more important to me, is the comfort. I don't want to spend $500 for a pair of headphones if I can only wear them for 20 minutes. So now these are the reasons I am very interested in the S8F. I am hoping they can perform as good or even better than the qdc Anole V3 ($549 list) or my re-shelled JH13.

I just looked it up on Amazon and found the Ankar USB-C to Lightning adapter cable. Unfortunately it would not be any help to me. I normally play music from laptop (streaming or FLAC) through a DAC/amp to the headphones. I have an older laptop that doesn't come with USB-C.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #2,825 of 5,204
My understanding is that the key part of the cipher cable is the built-in DAC. It was designed to take the digital signal from the Lightning output and equalize it based on the Harman target curve. That's why the iSine20 will sound so nice when using the cipher cable on the iOS devices (with the Lightning output).

In my opinion for any headphones if they have to be eq'ed in order to sound good then it's not worth keeping it. Especially for the kind of money you pay for iSine20. By eq'ed I mean either the software based equalizer, or hardware based device such as the cipher cable. But, like I said, many people enjoy doing the eq so they should have fun with it. I just thought it's important to mention this kind of caveats when recommending a headphones. The other caveat, which is more important to me, is the comfort. I don't want to spend $500 for a pair of headphones if I can only wear them for 20 minutes. So now these are the reasons I am very interested in the S8F. I am hoping they can perform as good or even better than the qdc Anole V3 ($549 list) or my re-shelled JH13 (cost me almost $400 to re-shell.)
I disagree heavily with that sentiment about EQ.

That being said, I owned the isine20 for a while. The cipher cable sounded like garbage out of an iPhone compared to a proper balanced connection from a proper DAC/DAP with EQ. It's only Great if you don't have a decent source (an iPhone doesn't count) or are fundamentally opposed to EQ.

The S8f is superior in just about every regards to the isine20. Only if you DEMAND that"open" sound is the isine20 on par with many other similarly proceed pairs nowadays. I would guess the tin p1 is a significantly better value, and the RHA CL2 blows it out of the water.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,826 of 5,204
I just looked it up on Amazon and found the Ankar USB-C to Lightning adapter cable. Unfortunately it would not be any help to me. I normally play music from laptop (streaming or FLAC) through a DAC/amp to the headphones. I have an older laptop that doesn't come with USB-C.
Laptop with no usb-C? so, buy an adapter. Most people do it like that. It becomes more handy than using a bulky dac amp. Cipher v2 amp is so powerful unlike v1. U dont need an external dac/amp. The cipher is more than enough juice to power up the planar. I usually use 70% and it's sooo damn loud.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,828 of 5,204
Looking forward to a comparison to the legend x. Ever since I had the legend x on tour I've craved that bass response.... My RHA cl2 and fearless S8f just aren't on the same level as the legend x when it comes to bass impact. Other hybrids I've heard Like the ibasso it04 didn't even come close either. So it'd be great to have an affordable-ish alternative to the legend x.

ive heard many hybrids , no one comes close to LX. if youre looking for strong bass for less money , check out the acme8. its overall signature is darker as LX but bass impact is great.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #2,831 of 5,204
ive heard many hybrids , no one comes close to LX. if youre looking for strong bass for less money , check out the acme8. its overall signature is darker as LX but bass impact is great.
Hey, saw you have ex1000. Since it's a bright DF. I have ex800st too but i cant stand the DF, being vocal on your face is kinda not my thing. I believe fearless house tuning will have DF with boosted bass. So, should i be away from these?

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2,832 of 5,204
Sooo, I have also pulled the trigger for Roland. I would lie If I tell I don't have high expectations for this one. Will share my impression here once I get them as well . Linsoul promised to ship them sometime later this week or early next week.
how long the shipping would take?

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2,833 of 5,204
Hey, saw you have ex1000. Since it's a bright DF. I have ex800st too but i cant stand the DF, being vocal on your face is kinda not my thing. I believe fearless house tuning will have DF with boosted bass. So, should i be away from these?
Acme doesn’t have df so strong as ex
I use dsp from cowon with ex1000

how long the shipping would take?

About a week with express shipping

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,834 of 5,204
Acme doesn’t have df so strong as ex
I use dsp from cowon with ex1000

About a week with express shipping
Tbh, the Roland fr is almost exactly as ex series, one thing that i didnt like ex800st that much is the detail retrieval isnt good. Even the vocal is reallyy forward, the vocal doesnt have detail texture. I do really wish i have ex1k instead to compare the sound with you better. Does ex1k has outstanding details?

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #2,835 of 5,204
Tbh, the Roland fr is almost exactly as ex series, one thing that i didnt like ex800st that much is the detail retrieval isnt good. Even the vocal is reallyy forward, the vocal doesnt have detail texture. I do really wish i have ex1k instead to compare the sound with you better. Does ex1k has outstanding details?
For its age , yes . Something like Solaris is better but they are still very very good for details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back