FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Jan 5, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #4,412 of 5,204
20191221_103600.jpg
Just wanted to share this pic I took of my S8F. Been using them back and forth with my S-EM9. For the price, the S8F is a really great value. There is a ton of detail in these things and the tuning is pretty well done. However, they still can't compete with kilobuck TOTL IEMs.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #4,413 of 5,204
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #4,414 of 5,204
I've been using my new Rolands ... And I noticed that after using them I get a slight pain in my ears ... Which I've never felt before ... I was wondering if this was due to the dynamic driver and no vent hole?

My listening level isn't on the loud side ... And I have been using iem's for years

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #4,416 of 5,204
20200108_230524.jpg
Finally got my S8F ordered during the Double 12 sales. Been using it with Ibasso DC 01 out of my Samsung S9+. There is very loud hissing. When using the stock cable 3.5mm direct to Samsung S9+ hissing is reduced to minimal but still audible but not as loud as in connecting to ibasso Dc01.

Definitely need to try out the Fiio M11 and Sony Z300 if the hissing will be reduced.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #4,417 of 5,204
Finally got my S8F ordered during the Double 12 sales. Been using it with Ibasso DC 01 out of my Samsung S9+. There is very loud hissing. When using the stock cable 3.5mm direct to Samsung S9+ hissing is reduced to minimal but still audible but not as loud as in connecting to ibasso Dc01.

Definitely need to try out the Fiio M11 and Sony Z300 if the hissing will be reduced.

Do report when you try some other sources, I'm interested how it pairs with M11 and some other DAPs. Best one I tried so far is ES100 no hiss at all.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #4,418 of 5,204
Been off this thread and Fearless products for a while after getting exhausted by the too spicy (for me) upper mids on the both the S8f and S8p that I used to own.
That being said, I just took a massive risk and pre-ordered the next gen S8Z. Before long I will be getting the subsequent S8 special gold edition and S8 japan exclusive versions of the S8 (*cough* Andromeda *cough*).

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #4,420 of 5,204
Hey guys - got gifted a pair of Rolands as a present and paired with an X5iii/M11Pro they really bring out a whole dimension of colour. Have swapped my trusty HD555 and 1More out for these as default IEMs of choice for my DAPs.

Quick question - has anyone bothered to make a DDC/IRS for them to use with V4A? Curious to hear how they sound with properly tuned convolvers...

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #4,422 of 5,204
Do report when you try some other sources, I'm interested how it pairs with M11 and some other DAPs. Best one I tried so far is ES100 no hiss at all.

Reporting back after trying below DAPs starting with the less hiss with S8 Freedom all using 4.4.mm balanced cable except for AK SR15.

Hiby R5: almost no noticeable hiss. However, the sound is the worst among the rest. Very tight soundstage, bass feel bloated and no control.

Sony ZX507: very minimal hiss and some not noticeable. Bass heavy and sometimes sounded muddy.

Fiio M11: there is hiss but is acceptable for my ears as it goes away once music started playing even on silent part of the track the hiss is acceptable. Sound quality is good but nothing that will make your feel wow.

Ibasso DX160: Noticeable hissing but I feel I like this sound quality the most. Wide soundstage and dynamic is really good.

Astell & Kern SR15: Noticeable hissing slightly more than DX160. It could be using an adapter 4.4 male to 2.5 female. So didn't test further for the sound signature.

Shanling M6: very noticeable hiss that is not acceptable to me. So no further testing the sound quality.

Adapter Fiio 4.4.mm to 2.5mm -> Ibasso DC01-> Samsung S9+: very loud hissing worse than all the above. Sound quality is on par with Fiio M11 and Ibasso DX160.

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #4,423 of 5,204
Reporting back after trying below DAPs starting with the less hiss with S8 Freedom all using 4.4.mm balanced cable except for AK SR15.

Hiby R5: almost no noticeable hiss. However, the sound is the worst among the rest. Very tight soundstage, bass feel bloated and no control.

Sony ZX507: very minimal hiss and some not noticeable. Bass heavy and sometimes sounded muddy.

Fiio M11: there is hiss but is acceptable for my ears as it goes away once music started playing even on silent part of the track the hiss is acceptable. Sound quality is good but nothing that will make your feel wow.

Ibasso DX160: Noticeable hissing but I feel I like this sound quality the most. Wide soundstage and dynamic is really good.

Astell & Kern SR15: Noticeable hissing slightly more than DX160. It could be using an adapter 4.4 male to 2.5 female. So didn't test further for the sound signature.

Shanling M6: very noticeable hiss that is not acceptable to me. So no further testing the sound quality.

Adapter Fiio 4.4.mm to 2.5mm -> Ibasso DC01-> Samsung S9+: very loud hissing worse than all the above. Sound quality is on par with Fiio M11 and Ibasso DX160.

Oh wow man that's incredible, thank you very much. Where did you find all these DAPs for this testing purpose? Thumbs up!

As your findings say it's just like I figured, no DAP have perfect black background and that's a shame, I was interested in M11 for its twin card slots... But what can I do now, I guess either I'll invest in ifi iematch and M11 or I'll have V50 (or next V60) and 1tb card when price goes down along with ES100 and Quidelix 5K.
I rarely stream music because Im not connected always. I'm not in a hurry but it's good to know. Cheers

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #4,424 of 5,204

I think that there is a fundamental problem here. Most DAPs optimize their balanced outputs primarily for maximum power output, as well as stero crosstalk etc.Therefore they are massively overpowered for driving sensitive monitors such as the S8 with it's 113db/mw sensitivity rating. First, I would suggest trying out the single-ended outputs for these DAPs as they usually have lower power output and output impedance, meaning less hiss. Or you can try devices with less driving power that may better suit the Fearless S8.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #4,425 of 5,204
Oh wow man that's incredible, thank you very much. Where did you find all these DAPs for this testing purpose? Thumbs up!

As your findings say it's just like I figured, no DAP have perfect black background and that's a shame, I was interested in M11 for its twin card slots... But what can I do now, I guess either I'll invest in ifi iematch and M11 or I'll have V50 (or next V60) and 1tb card when price goes down along with ES100 and Quidelix 5K.
I rarely stream music because Im not connected always. I'm not in a hurry but it's good to know. Cheers

I am currently in Hong Kong and there is a building that mainly selling portable audio and digital cameras. So I get to try all the amps within the building.

I even tested the Sony WM1Z and Fiio M11 Pro both do have hiss at Ibasso DX160 level. It may be the cable is faulty or 4.4mm cable really not suitable for S8 Freedom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back