Favourite Pink Floyd album?
Jan 22, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #31 of 106
This is a tough choice. Almost every album after Meddle (including Meddle) is excellent. Only exceptions are The Final Cut and Obscured by Clouds which are only good, not excellent.

Hmm... If I'd have to choose one, it'd be Wish You Were Here.

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #33 of 106
Animals is an amazing album, one very difficult to get tired of listening to. The music is fantastic; the lyrics are a bit obvious or understandable, but I think that trait is part of what makes it so awesome.

My second favorite is probably Meddle; "Echoes" is such a great composition. WYWH reminds me very much of Animals as far as sound goes, but "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" just doesn't hit me in the same way as the animals do.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 106
In the long hard winters back in the 80's my father used to ask me to move all the snow from the driveway. I remember always listening to "Animals" when operating the snow pusher. I never got tired of the pushing, I guess thanks to this excellent music played on my Sony WM-DD30 Walkman and Sennheiser HD 410 SL.

As time has gone by I enjoy "Meddle" just as much...

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #35 of 106
Might be a bit OT, but Roger Waters performed the whole Dark Side of the Moon album in Wellington a couple of weeks ago... I didnt go...

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #36 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be a bit OT, but Roger Waters performed the whole Dark Side of the Moon album in Wellington a couple of weeks ago... I didnt go...

I went to his concert in Oslo summer 2006 where he performed the whole album. The "genius" delivered at truly great performance...

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #37 of 106
Ok I listened to Animals a few more times. I enjoyed Pigs (Three Different Ones) the most originally, but now I can safely say, taking everything into account, that Dogs if the best song I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. I can listen to it infinite times on end and not get tired.

Going to buy Meddle next available opportunity

Jan 23, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #38 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to buy Meddle next available opportunity

For me, Meddle is "Echoes", and "Echoes" is that minute-and-a-half after the squawking when the rhythm section works itself up to Gilmour's triumphant, Edge-influencing entrance. I think that Meddle is a great album, but I don't see that it has the depth of Wish You Were Here. "One of those days", the other album highlight, isn't the sort of thing that I would seek out to play: like "Money" on DSotM, it's something I'm more likely to hear out of the context of the original album.

I have a similar problem with Ummagumma. Sure, an album that has "Careful with that axe, Eugene" and "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" is always going to be a good album, but there are three sides of vinyl there that really aren't pulling their weight.

It's very difficult to find any fat to trim on The Final Cut. Everything from first to last is a good track: more so than even The Wall, which is pretty lean but maybe has one too many versions of "Another brick ..." and a ballad or two too many. At its best - "The Gunner's Dream", "The Fletcher Memoral Home", "Not Now John" - The Final Cut is exceptionally good, but at its very worst ("Your Possible Pasts"?) it's still no slouch.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #40 of 106
For me, its really hard to decide on best albums because I love the entire PF catalogue. The very first PF album I heard was The division bell. That pretty much blew me away. However, my fav albums remain (in the order)

Animals (Long tracks with stunning solos by Gilmour, especially the one at the end of Pigs)
The Wall
Wish you were here.
Delicate Sound of Thunder

Some of the live versions on Delicate sounds of thunder are just magical.

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #41 of 106
Sorry, but DSotM is still "the one".

Syd's Floyd rounds out #2 and #3.

Corporal Clegg is a masterpiece.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #42 of 106
Gotta go with The Wall by a nose over The Final Cut, even tho The Final Cut is probably closer to a Water's solo effort than a true Floyd album. I enjoy all the PF albums but these two are my favorites, right now any way. I could answer differently tomorrow however. DSOTM and Wish You Were Here might get consideration along with The Division Bell.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #44 of 106
I have to say it is a difficult thing for me to answer. I appreciate almost all of their albums equally, the one that I am not a huge fan of is The Final Cut, only because I find its more Waters then Floyd, great music but a tad depressing.

I think if I had to tally up which ones I listen to the most it would be in order:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, The Wall, The Pink Floyd Early Singles, Meddle.

Most of them are pretty brilliant works, and I also have Live at Pompeii on CD as well, can't remember how I got it actually. But that is quite a nice album even without all the visuals.

The only two I am missing are A Collection of Great Dance Songs, which I was not impressed with, and The Works, which I want for The Embryo but cannot find anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back