Favourite Pink Floyd album?
Jan 21, 2007 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
Seem like PF has a fairly big following here. I haven't been a big fan of PF for very long, but I managed to listen to a few of their albums (Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were here, Animals and The Wall). So far, my favourite album is "Animals". Pigs (three different ones) is the highlight of the album for me. Are there any other albums I need to listen to get the whole PF experience?

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 106
there has been several threads on this in the past.

my favorite is Division Bell, one of the more positive one. this album have exceptionally insightful lyrics and makes you realize how pointless some of our ego struggle is. Lost For Words hit me hard:
[size=xx-small]While you are wasting your time on your enemies
Engulfed in a fever of spite
Beyond your tunnel vision reality fades
Like shadows into the night

To martyr yourself to caution
Is not going to help at all
Because there'll be no safety in numbers
When the Right One walks out of the door[/size]

I don't know any man who have lived and not experience that.

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 106
Of the "classic" pink floyd lineup albums, Animals and Wish You Were Here are the only ones I can stand, mostly because of their darkness. All the Syd Barrett works are great, as well. If I never hear Dark Side of the Moon again, I won't be too upset.

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I never hear Dark Side of the Moon again, I won't be too upset.

I hardly ever reach for DSotM myself
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 106
I used to own all of Pink Floyd's proper albums (i.e not including compilations). Over the years, I have sold and re-bought some titles. Overall, I seem to listen to Obscured By Clouds more than other albums and am very fond of Ummagumma.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 106
dark side of the moon has heaps of songs thats been flogged to death. i don't feel like listening to it much because i think pf is about long songs and flowing instrumentals. same with the wall.

not that there aren't some fabulous timeless classics on there.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 106
I don't have all the PF albums on CD, but I've owner them all on one format or another over the years and The Final Cut is my favourite, followed by Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 106
Easy call for me:

The Dark Side of the Moon

Least favorite?

The Final Cut

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have all the PF albums on CD, but I've owner them all on one format or another over the years and The Final Cut is my favourite, followed by Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

I also like The Final Cut and Wish You Were Here the best. It's a toss up as to which one I like better.

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 106
Definitively Wish You Were Here. I still remember how I cycled 50 kilometers (30 miles) in freezing weather in January to get it. A few seconds of listening to the Shine On You Crazy Diamond and I knew it was worth it. A classic album.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 106
For me, it's a toss-up between Meddle and Animals. And for the record, I love The Final Cut, and anything more Waters-esque. The guy's a genius.

G

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 106
Ranking of preference (excluding compilations) of the Pink Floyd CDs / LPs I currently own or have owned :

Ummagumma
Dark Side of the Moon
A Saucerful of Secrets
Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Obscured By Clouds
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
The Delicate Sound of Thunder
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Animals
Soundtrack to the film More
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

I have to add that I really dig Floyd - I just think the higher ranked CDs above are more consistent, while the lower ranked discs have a few good tracks but have too much filler (for my tastes anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back