Favourite Pink Floyd album?
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #46 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Division Bell for me.

This is an undervalued masterpiece. Definitely on TOP3 of my favorite PF albums.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #47 of 106
The time of Meddle thru Wish you were here are my favs. Syd was just too dark. Like the energy Roger PF gave. The wall has good songs but Roger's anger was getting too much. Davids PF sound gets to monotonus but Division Bell is another classic PF. That's the nice thing about being a long time fan, you get them all and can remember the impact they had at the time they were released.

Animals
DSotM
Wish you were here
Division bell
Meddle

What else do you guys listen to in the same genre/style?

Supertramp
Genesis (early)
Nektar
Marillion

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #48 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What else do you guys listen to in the same genre/style?

Supertramp
Genesis (early)
Nektar
Marillion

Well, three of those four are represented in my CD collection and - without just trying to be clever about this - I don't think of them as anything like PF. PF are pretty much sui generis, but the nearest approach to classic PF is surely Radiohead's OK Computer, which is pretty imitative.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #50 of 106
Probably Animals, but Meddle is also awesome. And of course, Dark Side of the Moon.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 106
for me top 3

1- Divison Bell
2- Dark Side of the Moon
3- The Wall

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #53 of 106
It's tough for me....I was a HUGE Syd fan in HS and a little beyond, only liking Animals and WYWH past "Meddle."

However, that said, the music put to regular album was a little less free than things I heard on bootlegs. Hearing Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive on a few boots, even if cut off versions, gave me a slight insight to what it must have been like to see them live. THAT's what I like best....

As for Roger Waters, I don't doubt his genius/talent, but the music of The Wall and beyond just wasn't for me. Personal taste thing; didn't like his solo work either.

David Gilmour to me has some of the most expressive guitar work, and I like what he's done, with PF and solo.

But ultimately, my rankings would probably be:

1 - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
2 - Meddle (solely for Echoes, but I don't get tired of One Of These Days)
3 - select songs from Pulse (especially Astronomy Domine, played SO much better than on UmmaGumma)
4 - Animal or Wish You Were Here, tied.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #54 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The live version of Dark Side on Pulse is very good too

True. The whole album is quite fantastic. Check out Great Gig in the Sky on here. Those ladies can sure belt out some sweet tones.
The DVD they released of the concert should be seen by PF fans out there too.

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #55 of 106
The only Pink Floyd album I can stand to listen to any more is Piper at the Gates Of Dawn.All of their other material has been so over played its kind of like having a bullet through the brain,(barf,barf,barf barf).Its time to move beyond floyd and experience some better more refreshing material.

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #56 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its time to move beyond floyd and experience some better more refreshing material.

I agree that they're overplayed but there isn't anything better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #57 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that they're overplayed but there isn't anything better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow Patu: You need to get a tall ladder and clime out of that rut you're stuck in before something bad happens to you.A moderate amount of Floyd is OK but too much could give you nightmares.

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #58 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seem like PF has a fairly big following here. I haven't been a big fan of PF for very long, but I managed to listen to a few of their albums (Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were here, Animals and The Wall). So far, my favourite album is "Animals". Pigs (three different ones) is the highlight of the album for me. Are there any other albums I need to listen to get the whole PF experience?

They are all really good. Animals is a great album, as you've noticed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out the DVD "Live at Pompeii". The directors cut version is the one to own.

For albums: A saucerful of secrets & Meddle are two I'd suggest.

Try some Syd Barret solo stuff too.
blink.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #59 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Patu: You need to get a tall ladder and clime out of that rut you're stuck in before something bad happens to you.A moderate amount of Floyd is OK but too much could give you nightmares.

PF is my favorite band of all time but of course I listen to a wide variety of other music also. If you're interested, check my last.fm link in my sig.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #60 of 106
Kinda OT, and I've posted here already, but I picked up Is There Anybody Out There?, the live version of The Wall, this weekend. The sound quality's almost as good, but there's extra life in these recordings, more real passion. Since the band was live, there's less Waters domination than usual (more Gilmour and Wright moments), and I like this album a lot. Enough to bump it up in the ranking of those I've heard:

1-Animals
2-DSOTM
3-Is There Anybody Out There? / Wish You Were Here (depends on mood)
4-Meddle/ The Wall / Ummagumma (about equal liking)
5-Pulse
6-A Saucerful of Secrets
7-A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back