Favorite Over Ear Headphones For Library Setting
Mar 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Oof Oink

Aka: Nightcrawler, i2ehan
Hello everyone. I'd like your opinion on what you personally think would be the most suitable over ear (not on ear) headphone for use at a library. I've been spending more and more time at the local library, and listening to earphones is not as enjoyable for me. I want a set of headphones that are comfortable, and offer great isolation as well as sound quality. Now I know there will be different opinions, but I'm just curious. I want to hear from YOU. In YOUR opinion, what's the most suitable headphone, that doesn't leak much sound out, and still offers great sound quality? No particular budget in mind. Thanks to all.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hello everyone. I'd like your opinion on what you personally think would be the most suitable over ear (not on ear) headphone for use at a library. I've been spending more and more time at the local library, and listening to earphones is not as enjoyable for me. I want a set of headphones that are comfortable, and offer great isolation as well as sound quality. Now I know there will be different opinions, but I'm just curious. I want to hear from YOU. In YOUR opinion, what's the most suitable headphone, that doesn't leak much sound out, and still offers great sound quality? No particular budget in mind. Thanks to all.

Sony: MDR-1R, V6, MDR-7520 (Z1000)
Sennheiser: Momentum 
Beyer Dynamics: Custom one pro
Audio Techinica: ATH-M50

ultrasone, but it'll be quite expensive. And I just know them for being bass cans. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you MrViolin. The Sony ones seem like good choices. I'll read more about them. The Sennheiser Momentum is a great looking headphone. Does it isolate well enough for use in a library? I hadn't heard of the custom pro before, so I'll also read into that. A friend of mine owned the M50, and I didn't like the sound. Bass sounded... artificially boosted? Hope that makes sense. I've also heard that Ultrasones have too much bass, and they will leak sound. What are your thoughts on that? Thank you.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Thank you MrViolin. The Sony ones seem like good choices. I'll read more about them. The Sennheiser Momentum is a great looking headphone. Does it isolate well enough for use in a library? I hadn't heard of the custom pro before, so I'll also read into that. A friend of mine owned the M50, and I didn't like the sound. Bass sounded... artificially boosted? Hope that makes sense. I've also heard that Ultrasones have too much bass, and they will leak sound. What are your thoughts on that? Thank you.

Can't say much on ultrasones since I haven't had any. Though people do indeed say they are for bassheads. Bass cans of the audiophile world.  Don't know about leaking sound (might have been mentioned but I've long forgotten)
As for the Momentum 
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum/reviews/8690
so I suppose not. 
That makes sense for the m50's. Though I'm not sure which model it is (old or current). They do have quite a bit of bass extension and were originally meant as cheap basshead cans. The revision has made them more monitor-like, but it still has quite a bit of bass. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Ultrasone is no longer on my short list. Shame about the Momentum not isolating well. After some more reading, I'm also considering the Sony Z1000 and MDR-1R. They both look great, but I didn't find many direct comparisons. Any others I should consider?

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Ultrasone is no longer on my short list. Shame about the Momentum not isolating well. After some more reading, I'm also considering the Sony Z1000 and MDR-1R. They both look great, but I didn't find many direct comparisons. Any others I should consider?

The soundmagic hp100 seems to be getting a bunch of recs, but I don't know how well it isolates. 

As for the z1000 and the 7520, they're essentially the same, but the 7520 has slightly changed innards and slightly different padding along with the foam/mesh that covers the drivers (cover for the 7520 is more like that of the mdr-1r). Branches are colored differently, sticker, and the cable. Otherwise, they both essentially the same (magnesium cups, drivers). Though there have been recorded cases of rattling, so I'd go check the z1000 thread. People will either love the z1000 or hate it (or find it odd sounding).

The MDR-1R is what many describe to me the most comfortable, if not one of them. Its construction consists mainly of plastic (the cups, branches), but the extenders are metal (presumably magnesium since sony loves it). Great portable phone and for listening in a relatively quiet environment. Again, the z1000 thread, as of late, has had some comparisons between the mdr-1r and z1000. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 11
I've seen the Denon D7100 selling for less and less. I know it doesn't get much praise here, but if it isolated well, I'll most likely purchase one through Amazon. I'm worried about bass leakage. Anyone know if the D7100 isolates well enough to be used in a very quiet environment, such as a library?

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 11
I found my answer. In case anyone else comes across the same question, I found my answer in Mad Dude's review of the D7100, here on Head-Fi. He states the following:

"One of D7100’s greatest strengths is the noise isolation. Almost all high-end headphones are open, here the Denons are one of the few exceptions along with some Ultrasone models. Unlike some other "closed" headphones however, the D7100 headphones actually does isolate - not as much as IEMs or certain on-ears, of course, but still quite good. Outside noise has never been an issue for me while wearing the D7100.
This also opens up a new field of use: A quiet room is no longer necessary, the D7100 can be used outside just as well. Add the fact that the D7100 can be driven easily by a portable player and you get a possible solution for a semi-portable rig that does not require an external amp. Personally I could hardly notice any differences between my Cowon J3 and the “big” system when using the D7100."

I'll Amazon prime these, give them a try, and hopefully stick with them. I'll report back in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back