FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,757 of 2,034
Did you compare the Amber Pearl and the Mentor somewhere on headfi? The MM is very special and amazing for some genres but still prefers the GM, Canpur or even the RN6 slightly, if it came down to one set only, that is.

The Subtonic i ll probably never get my hands on that sadly. Maybe one day from another headfier.
I can't really do proper comparisons of products I don't personally own and have used for at least a few weeks.

Didn't take any notes at CanJam either, so anything I say is from memory and the impressions I got during the demos.

I did test Amber Pearl for a long time (maybe over 45 minutes) at CJ. MM was relatively a much shorter audition. All I know is, Amber Pearl is the closest to IEM perfection that I've ever heard, and MM is close behind it. If they had just a bit more bass, they'd literally be perfect to me.

I'll most likely never spend that much money on an IEM though. It was just informative and fun to hear and experience what the world's best IEMs sounded like.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,758 of 2,034
I can't really do proper comparisons of products I don't personally own and have used for at least a few weeks.

Didn't take any notes at CanJam either, so anything I say is from memory and the impressions I got during the demos.

I did test Amber Pearl for a long time (maybe over 45 minutes) at CJ. MM was relatively a much shorter audition. All I know is, Amber Pearl is the closest to IEM perfection that I've ever heard, and MM is close behind it. If they had just a bit more bass, they'd literally be perfect to me.

I'll most likely never spend that much money on an IEM though. It was just informative and fun to hear and experience what the world's best IEMs sounded like.
Yes i hear you about that. You need a bit of time to settle down with a set but still rare opportunity to be able to listen both the Amber and Mentor that closely.

I agree the Mentor is not a bassy IEM, it's also very sensible to fit to make the BC really works imo, otherwise will sound slightly 'tuby'. Mid bass per say is fine to me with a perfect seal but lacks a bit in sub, which is expected with only BA's. Only the Canpur pulls that voodoo somehow... Great stage and imaging on the other hand, for an IEM, on the mentor, possibly the best i ve heard thus far. I bet the Amber Pearl has that same quality.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #1,760 of 2,034
Scarlet Mini is surprisingly a very detailed IEM. Has really good technicalities too, especially for a basshead IEM.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,761 of 2,034
The GM is still my favorite overall and i ve heard pretty much all the "end game" IEMs. You might have noticed but engaging the vocal switch will dip significantly the bass region. I think it's really a matter of taste for the vocals, personally i leave it off and love the vocals like that, i find them stunning on the GM in general. They are the star of the show to me, eventhough they are not particularly forward, maybe it catches even more your attention on this set than the bass.

Are you referring to male or female vocals or both? I had the exact same thoughts with you using the black module and vocal off, but was quite surprised not many people seem to mention the GM's vocal prowess. It's not forward but very natural, emotional, ethereal, and effortless. Despite the forward bass, I thought the mids was absolutely lush-sounding. It's the only IEM to make me tear in CanJam last year. Compared to the Storm that I've heard many times, the Storm's mids are technically superior but didn't carry as much emotion as the GM.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,763 of 2,034
Hi guys,

Confirming the configuration for the Scarlet Mini is as follows:

110mm DD + 1 Mid BA + 1 proprietary hyper-tweeter

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #1,764 of 2,034
Sorry, I am going to derail things a hair.

I wish FatFreq offered refunds, to be honest.
I waited 2-3 months to receive my custom Grand Maestro, only to have it fail a couple of short months later.
Since sending it in, I have not heard (essentially) anything regarding the status of my RMA.
Similarly, it has been over three months of waiting for this process...

A lot of money to spend for very little service and a defective final product.
I basically spent a few grand to enjoy thinking about the FatFreq before it arrived.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,765 of 2,034

I waited 2-3 months to receive my custom Grand Maestro, only to have it fail a couple of short months later.
Since sending it in, I have not heard (essentially) anything regarding the status of my RMA.

I basically spent a few grand to enjoy thinking about the FatFreq before it arrived.

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about this.

Have you reached out to us over chat on our website to check in on the status?

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #1,766 of 2,034

Man, that sucks. FF makes incredible IEMs and are very nice people, but their customer service is definitely lacking... a lot.

Hope you get your problem solved quickly.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,768 of 2,034
Are you referring to male or female vocals or both? I had the exact same thoughts with you using the black module and vocal off, but was quite surprised not many people seem to mention the GM's vocal prowess. It's not forward but very natural, emotional, ethereal, and effortless. Despite the forward bass, I thought the mids was absolutely lush-sounding. It's the only IEM to make me tear in CanJam last year. Compared to the Storm that I've heard many times, the Storm's mids are technically superior but didn't carry as much emotion as the GM.
Both really, and im also surprised how this was not mentionned that much afaik in reviews and impressions, vocals are magical on this set. I ve tried to analyze objectively what brings exactly that emotional vibe to them. I think it's a combination of very high resolving ability, not being in your face and lack of resonance and harshness in the mids. The 622b for example has that level of resolution but it isn't producing the same effect on me. I can spend hours listening to the GM with great vocal oriented tracks. Everybody talks about the bass overall which is of course also its other strongsuit but clearly not enough how beautiful the voices rendition is.

2 examples amongst many others

Try this type of tracks in lossless version on a capable amp, and you are in for a trip with the GM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back