FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,743 of 2,043
Drivers inside the Scarlet taken from the You Tube video

Attachments

• IMG_7007.jpeg
    IMG_7007.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #1,744 of 2,043
I am demoing the Scarlet Mini with upgrade cable, but I have to say, try a better cable! I just switched to Effect Audio code 24, it made a huge difference, just a little too much sometimes in the bass, I would guess code 23 could be a better match. The upgrade cable really pales in comparison.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #1,747 of 2,043
Just want to say, the FatFreq crew were very kind, accommodating, and patient this weekend at CanJam. They brought a huge number of different IEMs and for every preference to audition, complete with a lot of beautiful faceplates/shells options for people to see. One of the most impressive showings at CanJam. Everyone wanted to test the Maestro series but there were many other good options besides the Maestros.

b01944ce01e03adb1678e13801826afc.jpg

@Sebastien Chiu took the photo of FatFreq's crew.

FatFreq CanJam6.jpg

FatFreq CanJam.jpg

FatFreq CanJam-1.jpg

FatFreq CanJam-2.jpg

FatFreq CanJam-3.jpg

FatFreq CanJam-4.jpg

Grand Maestro was just an incredible demo. One of my favorite IEMs at the show and in my opinion, one of the best IEMs in the world. I think I might save up for a custom version some day. After considering the 64 Audio Volur and Fir Xenon 6, I think GM might be my first truly expensive IEM. Oh, there will be an upcoming GM limited edition / anniversary edition coming soon.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,748 of 2,043
Just want to say, the FatFreq crew were very kind, accommodating, and patient this weekend at CanJam. They brought a huge number of different IEMs and for every preference to audition, complete with a lot of beautiful faceplates/shells options for people to see. One of the most impressive showings at CanJam. Everyone wanted to test the Maestro series but there were many other good options besides the Maestros.

Grand Maestro was just an incredible demo. One of my favorite IEMs at the show and in my opinion, one of the best IEMs in the world. I think I might save up for a custom version some day. Oh, there will be an upcoming GM limited edition / anniversary edition coming soon. After considering the 64 Audio Volur and Fir Xenon 6, I think GM might be my first truly expensive IEM.

A limited/anniversary edition GM? Wow. What's gonna be different about those? Hopefully nothing tuning wise.

And what genre of music did you demo the GM with?

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #1,749 of 2,043
A limited/anniversary edition GM? Wow. What's gonna be different about those? Hopefully nothing tuning wise.

And what genre of music did you demo the GM with?
I tested the GM a good amount with my main test tracks...

Varius rap and hip hop, Put On by Jeezy and Kanye is my favorite rap test track. KPop (ITZY), female vocals like IU, Taeyeon, and Lia. Rock, prog rock - Polyphia, moe., live O.A.R. and Dave Matthews Band are my favorites to test IEMs. Orchestral and movie soundtracks, particularly Yiruma.

I like to switch up as many genres as possible before moving on and giving others opportunity to demo.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #1,750 of 2,043
I tested the GM a good amount with my main test tracks...

Varius rap and hip hop, Put On by Jeezy and Kanye is my fav. KPop (ITZY), female vocals like IU, Taeyeon, and Lia. Rock, prog rock - Polyphia, moe., live O.A.R. and Dave Matthews Band are my favorites to test IEMs. Orchestral and movie soundtracks, particularly Yiruma.

I like to switch up as many genres as possible before moving on and giving others opportunity to demo.
Did you find the GM mids recessed for your female kpop vocals? I assume you listened with the Black module, vocal switch off?

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #1,751 of 2,043
Did you find the GM mids recessed for your female kpop vocals? I assume you listened with the Black module, vocal switch off?
Vocals on I believe they told me. Mids are great to me. GM is just a great overall IEM in all aspects. So very engaging and dynamic. I was bopping my head the entire time. Only a few other IEMs were as engaging and they were $5,000+.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #1,752 of 2,043
Vocals on I believe they told me. Mids are great to me. GM is just a great overall IEM in all aspects. So very engaging and dynamic. I was bopping my head the entire time. Only a few other IEMs were as engaging and they were $5,000+.
The GM is still my favorite overall and i ve heard pretty much all the "end game" IEMs. You might have noticed but engaging the vocal switch will dip significantly the bass region. I think it's really a matter of taste for the vocals, personally i leave it off and love the vocals like that, i find them stunning on the GM in general. They are the star of the show to me, eventhough they are not particularly forward, maybe it catches even more your attention on this set than the bass.

Which ones did you try and found as engaging? Those would interest me for sure. And thanks for the report! (i wish i could have been there..)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #1,754 of 2,043
Which ones did you try and found as engaging? Those would interest me for sure. And thanks for the report! (i wish i could have been there..)
  • Subtonic Storm
  • Unique Melody Amber Pearl & Multiverse

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #1,755 of 2,043
  • Subtonic Storm
  • Unique Melody Amber Pearl & Multiverse
Did you compare the Amber Pearl and the Mentor somewhere on headfi? The MM is very special and amazing for some genres but still prefers the GM, Canpur or even the RN6 slightly, if it came down to one set only, that is.

The Subtonic i ll probably never get my hands on that sadly. Maybe one day from another headfier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back