FatFreq Grand Maestro
Dec 24, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #151 of 252
No, change in sound literally without looking at the material. The bass become less in quantity and quality, midrange become airy and lack thickness sound as if your eartips is not sealing. Hmmm interesting i think i need to go to FF headquarter when i visit SGP.

I do not hear a change in sound between the different material modules.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #152 of 252
I do not hear a change in sound between the different material modules.
Ok thanks for sharing . I think i need to go to their store and try different module myself. Or my unit is the one different.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #154 of 252
If you prefer the sound of the plastic modules why not just use those instead?
It is not about the material, i dont think the material matter for iem. But it does matter when considering durability. Recently i often swap between the blue and black module(plastic) and it start showing wear and tear some small chip on it. I wonder if this dont last i need to replace it with the new one. But the new one produce totally different sound to my ear and it doesnt seal properly, it even wiggle inside the housing. So i wonder what is the solution in the future if my plastic module break.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #155 of 252
It is not about the material, i dont think the material matter for iem. But it does matter when considering durability. Recently i often swap between the blue and black module(plastic) and it start showing wear and tear some small chip on it. I wonder if this dont last i need to replace it with the new one. But the new one produce totally different sound to my ear and it doesnt seal properly, it even wiggle inside the housing. So i wonder what is the solution in the future if my plastic module break.
Sounds like an isolated issue with your modules. Either ur GM module housing is slightly bigger than normal, or the metal modules u got are slightly smaller. I suspect with the new modules there is air gap (doesn't seal well) so bass is let out, thus u experience this issue.

Either way, another QC issue. But not unfixable (ask FF to send u a replacement bigger module, measure it exactly based on ur plastic one).

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #156 of 252
Sounds like an isolated issue with your modules. Either ur GM module housing is slightly bigger than normal, or the metal modules u got are slightly smaller. I suspect with the new modules there is air gap (doesn't seal well) so bass is let out, thus u experience this issue.

Either way, another QC issue. But not unfixable (ask FF to send u a replacement bigger module, measure it exactly based on ur plastic one).
I think you are right. Maybe next holiday i might visit there and troubleshoot the issue.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #157 of 252
I think you are right. Maybe next holiday i might visit there and troubleshoot the issue.
Yup, and in the meantime u shud be fine with the plastic modules to last you till your next trip there 😊

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #158 of 252
@Pelilin I'd suggest taking them up on their offer to send you another set of the modules. (assuming you don't have to pay much). Those might fit better, in which case your problem is solved and you don't have to visit them. If not, then you know what to troubleshoot when you visit them for a holiday.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #159 of 252
@Pelilin I'd suggest taking them up on their offer to send you another set of the modules. (assuming you don't have to pay much). Those might fit better, in which case your problem is solved and you don't have to visit them. If not, then you know what to troubleshoot when you visit them for a holiday.

Yep, I agree with what @SCYJ said. Best course of action right here.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #160 of 252
Hello friends,

I'm able to take on review requests more directly now.

You can drop a pitch to our press email - reviews@fatfreq.com

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #162 of 252
May I ask, is it possible to rebuild a ciem to an universal? And in case, that’s doable, does anybody know how much it will cost?
thx
I suspect it is doable, not sure an iem manufacture would agree to do it.
Might not be worth their time to tear down the CIEM just for the sake of re-using the drivers.
Can’t hurt to inquire.

Feb 9, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #163 of 252
Hai guys, If you remember me last time i was complaining about the new module doesnt fit my 1st gen GM. I went to Fatfreq and my unit was handled by Ellie and the module was immediately replaced to a new one and now it fit tightly. After trying it for few days swapping between resin and the new metal module i have to say the new metal module sound better than the resin. There is a change in clarity a bit without reducing the bass. It add more soundstage and sense of room clearly while the old resin one sound smoother less detailed. The change is not significant so maybe its not that worth it to buy the new metal module but because i have it , i have to share my experience to all fans out there. The new metal module fit the old GM and it sound better IMO. Thank you for Fatfreq Ellie great job. Thank you also for tightening the 2 pin because it was loose. This IEM still the best for me until now. Amazing timeless sound for all genre.

Anyway have you guys try Dunu S&S ? I have been using this eartip for GM for months and i cant find anything better than this eartip for GM it is perfect.

Edit: Metal module may add shoutiness to the upper mid. Borderline shouty. I have been A/B it this few days there is a noticable increase in upper midrange that make vocals sometimes can be borderline shouty. With the resin module i didnt hear any shoutiness at all. Resin module sound smoother overall and enjoyable in the upper area. They should try to check the FR before claiming it sound the same between both module.

Update: The shoutiness in metal module with different source and eartips no longer exist, but certain setup can make it shouty i.e. in my testing comparing with resin module . I keep noticing the resin module have less air in the upper area but the lower end have more "oomph" stronger louder bass that rumble my inner ear while the metal module have more air have more sense of room/spaciousness but the lower end the bass become less.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #164 of 252
I am now past 3 months waiting for my custom GM (which is partially my fault). Ordered 24th Nov 2023.

Anyways, two weeks ago they told me it's in its final stages (assembly, putting faceplate, doing QC checks). So I'm hoping to get an update in the coming days, and really hoping it gets ready to be shipped in the next ~2 weeks.

Somehow managed to compartmentalise it the last 3 months but now I'm finding myself getting more and more obsessed about it so I'm probably at the limits of my patience now and my compartmentalised box is spilling out.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #165 of 252
3 months lead time is quite long... that clearly puts me off considering going for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back