FatFreq Grand Maestro
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #136 of 256
Can someone who have owned the latest GM take a picture of the inner side where the module inserted into? Until today i have compared both the new module and old module both doesnt sound the same. The new module with old GM case sound lean and the rumble and heavy punch from the bass is totally gone. I wonder what cause this.

I find my new version CiEM a bit brighter than the OG universal.
I use the black module, vocal switch forward.
On the OG I was using the blue nozzle and switching back and forth between vocal on/off
But there are differences on my set other than just the new metal modules.
Custom shell is different size and shape, different cable, and the new metal modules. And re-tuning??🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 23, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #137 of 256
On the OG I was using the blue nozzle and switching back and forth between vocal on/off
Custom shell is different size and shape, different cable, and the new metal modules. And re-tuning??🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh wow this definitely look different than mine (1st gen). There is a mesh filter in there. I will ask FF about this. Thank you for the pic. I am also worried because they change some shape and material there has to be some changes in sound or tuning.

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #138 of 256
Interesting, I thought CIEM would result is more bass perception and less highs. Did you find it brighter predominantly in treble or upper mids?

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #139 of 256
Interesting, I thought CIEM would result is more bass perception and less highs. Did you find it brighter predominantly in treble or upper mids?
Hard to say for certain, I sold my universals 6 months ago to help finance the CIEM, so can’t A/B, and hate to go on memory.
But I’m going to lean toward mids because I am sensitive to pinna gain peaks more so than peaks in the treble regions.

The cable is different than OG, and I haven’t tried cable rolling yet.

Hard to say with certainty what specifically has affected the change.

It’s not ear tips 😊 🤣

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #140 of 256
Hard to say for certain, I sold my universals 6 months ago to help finance the CIEM, so can’t A/B, and hate to go on memory.
But I’m going to lean toward mids because I am sensitive to pinna gain peaks more so than peaks in the treble regions.

The cable is different than OG, and I haven’t tried cable rolling yet.

Hard to say with certainty what specifically has affected the change.

It’s not ear tips 😊 🤣
Ah so to clarify, you found the mids (likely pinna gain region/upper mids) to be more prominent than the universals from memory? That's cool and something positive, for me at least. Hope I get the same experience, excited for my CIEM (whenever that gets shipped lol).

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #141 of 256
Ah so to clarify, you found the mids (likely pinna gain region/upper mids) to be more prominent than the universals from memory? That's cool and something positive, for me at least. Hope I get the same experience, excited for my CIEM (whenever that gets shipped lol).
Yes, more mids.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #142 of 256
Was curious about the cable that came with my GM CIEM.
Checked the website.
Mind shipped with the upgraded modular gold plated silver cable.
Silver cable could certainly enhance upper mids/highs.
Just wanted to point that out. Something for you to consider if yours comes with different cable.
I’m not even sure what cable ships as stock with the CIEM version.
Doesn’t specify, just indicates the GPS cable is an available upgrade.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #143 of 256
Checked the website.
Just wanted to point that out. Something for you to consider if yours comes with different cable.
Fatfreq need to complete their idea before releasing. They keep changing small things here and there. Mine came with poor man cable at first and then sending me modular silver cable that doesnt look the same as yours. I dont know what next. They keep changing stuff in small period of times and thats not good. The mesh filter inside your GM and the new GM actually change the sound(same tuning but need to use the new module design) and the new module isnt compatible with the old/1st GM case . The new module is slightly smaller in diameter(or the O ring) and have recessed mesh. If you use the new module into the old GM you will lose the thickness of notes and bass, everything become slightly airy. This is not good experience for me actually because i sometimes swap module from blue to black and the old black plastic module start showing sign of wear and tear. If the old module broke then i have nothing to replace it with.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #144 of 256
Checked the website.
The gold + silver probably helps with the mids. Mine will ship with stock cable because I already have an Eletech Raphael waiting to pair with the GM (apparently it brings the mids forward). Also heard that FF's upgrade GPS cable is also a very good pairing with the GM. But I've seen a few cases of the GPS cable having discolouration so I decided not to pay for that.

Fatfreq need to complete their idea before releasing. They keep changing small things here and there. Mine came with poor man cable at first and then sending me modular silver cable that doesnt look the same as yours. I dont know what next. They keep changing stuff in small period of times and thats not good. The mesh filter inside your GM and the new GM actually change the sound(same tuning but need to use the new module design) and the new module isnt compatible with the old/1st GM case . The new module is slightly smaller in diameter(or the O ring) and have recessed mesh. If you use the new module into the old GM you will lose the thickness of notes and bass, everything become slightly airy. This is not good experience for me actually because i sometimes swap module from blue to black and the old black plastic module start showing sign of wear and tear. If the old module broke then i have nothing to replace it with.
Did you contact FF about this? Would love to know what they'd say about this. I'm sure there are many GM owners with older modules and have received the newer metal ones but I've not heard them complain yet. It may be some other issue specifically with your unit.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #145 of 256
The gold + silver probably helps with the mids. Mine will ship with stock cable because I already have an Eletech Raphael waiting to pair with the GM (apparently it brings the mids forward). Also heard that FF's upgrade GPS cable is also a very good pairing with the GM. But I've seen a few cases of the GPS cable having discolouration so I decided not to pay for that.

Did you contact FF about this? Would love to know what they'd say about this. I'm sure there are many GM owners with older modules and have received the newer metal ones but I've not heard them complain yet. It may be some other issue specifically with your unit.
I have contact them about this. Whenever i ask whether this module compatible or not with the older model they just dodge the question and answer my other question. The only solution they keep trying to give me is to send me another module as a bonus. But looking at the 1st gen inside the module housing there is no mesh filter compared to the new gen with mesh filter there has to be some changes in module design logically(i have posted the module design changes before in this thread). Which mean the new module might not be compatible with the old one. Maybe someone who ever made an iem can give more opinion in this case.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #146 of 256
I have contact them about this. Whenever i ask whether this module compatible or not with the older model they just dodge the question and answer my other question. The only solution they keep trying to give me is to send me another module as a bonus. But looking at the 1st gen inside the module housing there is no mesh filter compared to the new gen with mesh filter there has to be some changes in module design logically(i have posted the module design changes before in this thread). Which mean the new module might not be compatible with the old one. Maybe someone who ever made an iem can give more opinion in this case.
I believe @aaf evo had the 1st gen GM and maybe he is now using the updated metal modules?

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #148 of 256
Yes, the newer metal modules work just fine with my GM CIEM which I have had since March.
Does your GM have a steel mesh inside the module house? Do you notice any changes in sound?

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #150 of 256
No it doesn’t, changes in sound relative to what? Between the plastic versus metal modules? Nope.
No, change in sound literally without looking at the material. The bass become less in quantity and quality, midrange become airy and lack thickness sound as if your eartips is not sealing. Hmmm interesting i think i need to go to FF headquarter when i visit SGP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back