Fake Sony SA5000?
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

drews

500+ Head-Fier
Is anyone aware of any fake SA5Ks in circulation?  I just picked up a new pair (I missed my old set) from an Amazon affiliate and the pads look and feel cheap - they're shiny, plasticky and are poorly stitched compared to those on my old set...  Either Sony has cheaped-out on these recently or I didn't get a legit pair...

Drew

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 22
Yeah, they look strange...how much did you paid for them? 

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 22
$370, a reasonable price for a legit pair...

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 22
The company is "snagacloseout"...

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 22
They look really fake, the metal parts are not even silver in colour or shinny, did it come with the headphone stand?

Quote:
Is anyone aware of any fake SA5Ks in circulation?  I just picked up a new pair (I missed my old set) from an Amazon affiliate and the pads look and feel cheap - they're shiny, plasticky and are poorly stitched compared to those on my old set...  Either Sony has cheaped-out on these recently or I didn't get a legit pair...

Drew

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 22
Where is yours made in? Mine is Japan. Can you please post a better picture?

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
The pads and headband don't look like my pair. Where did you get these?

Yep, you can identify fakes fast when you have seen the originals...my friend owns them and they look different. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 22
The headband on mine are the same and the pads are similar although mine look better made. The main difference I thought was the colour but now I suspect the picture was over exposed and the OP used Photoshop's 'Highlight and Shadow' function to darken the over exposed bits and that's why the metal parts looked matt and grey. 
confused_face.gif

Quote:
Quote:
The pads and headband don't look like my pair. Where did you get these?

Yep, you can identify fakes fast when you have seen the originals...my friend owns them and they look different. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 22
Here's a better picture...  The stand and box are look legit.  I'm guessing that Sony is just cutting corners - the headphone is stamped "Japan" but the pads look like something you'd get from a $5 headphone purchased from MeritLine.  They sound like my old SA5Ks but the pads are just really bothering me...  If it's "leather" maybe it's made from nutria or something similar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back