Fake Sennheiser Momentums?
Jun 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #91 of 156
  I saw these in Sears and was struck by how similar they look to the momentums. So cheap I almost bought them just to give them a try. Nakamichi was once a very will respected brand. Any one heard these?

http://www.amazon.com/Nakamichi-Over-Ear-Headphones-Packaging/dp/B00FYKSFCG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402661977&sr=8-3&keywords=nakamichi+headphones

My account still wont allow me to post pictures,

Nakamichi is a famous Japanese audio brand. Looks like they have resorted to selling cheap headphones now, which is rather sad. 
smile.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #92 of 156
It is - back in the eighties if you had a Nakamichi tape deck then you had arguably true HIFI sound from the humble tape cassette. The Nakamichi decks were unmatched, but at a considerable price.

It really is a shame to see such a brand resorting to budget headphones, but if their knowledge of audio has come through then let's hope they're diamonds in a pile of cheap rubbish.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #93 of 156
It is - back in the eighties if you had a Nakamichi tape deck then you had arguably true HIFI sound from the humble tape cassette. The Nakamichi decks were unmatched, but at a considerable price.

It really is a shame to see such a brand resorting to budget headphones, but if their knowledge of audio has come through then let's hope they're diamonds in a pile of cheap rubbish.

Nope, the Nakamichi headphones are selling here in the middle east for $15 and are at best worth their price. Someone just bought the rights on the brand name. I doubt there is any of the glorious old Nakamichi spirit (remained a dream for me back then) in these audio products being sold today under their name....

Take a look at this: http://www.nakamichi-me.com - it's cheap stuff with a logo slapped onto it. Sad indeed.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #94 of 156

Take a look at this: http://www.nakamichi-me.com - it's cheap stuff with a logo slapped onto it. Sad indeed.

I dunno - they have an 84" 4K 3D TV listed.... there look like there might be a bit of the old company in there somewhere amidst all the crap...

I remember "Naks" being some of the most esoteric audio components out there... god.. cassettes... 

I only bought ONE pre-recorded cassette tape in my life - it was Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and I already had the album, and put it on a "Chrome" TDK tape - but it melted on the dash during a road trip and I went into a "Tower Records" and picked it up....

Oh, did it sound awful on my "Concord HPL-130" in dash tape deck.... the one car audio company that refused to put an auto-reverse cassette drive in their machines because it affected the sound... The sound of that tape was so muffled - it was awful - rolled off highs and lows - sounded like a range of 500hz to 8000hz - bad.

Those were the days!

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #95 of 156
It was called the Dragon. The control panel was slanted and had rectangular push buttons. Black and white (maybe gold) color. It had a cult following not unlike the original Advent cassette deck. It sold for $2500 which was big bucks back then (even now!) 

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #96 of 156
Please help.
OK Listen to what i just received from Sennheiser....
A pair of "FOLDABLE" over ear Momentums in Black with orange(not red) stiching and orange inside the cups.
They have a folding hinge next to the leather headband.... they also say foldable on the box
Whats more is that there are 2 stickers on the headphones that say "not for sale" and yes the box was sealed.

They must be a prototype that was not meant to be shipped? 

Please explain this someone?? and the indicated made for Galaxy in the box.
They come with a different case to the "non flooding too which is more compact..!!!!!!!

Absolutely crazy as i have searched everywhere and nothing comes up-
when i figure out how to ill upload some pics

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #98 of 156
No. I'm sure they are fake. I checked all my contacts in Asia and could not find anything. Does the retailer have a website I could check out? If not, try to send me pictures at dabjhs72@msn.com. I own Mometums and know what to look for on fakes. How much did you pay for them? Are you experienced enough with headphone sound to know if they are quality drivers or not? I think you may want to ask for your money back based on what you have told me. I will contact my Sennheiser connection when they open tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #99 of 156
New users can't post pictures on head-fi. If a new user wants to show us something they can easily upload pictures using imgur and post the links. 
http://imgur.com/

I wonder if the ear cups actually have the same size, an extra pair of earpads or an cheap extra cable might be useful, who knows... 

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #102 of 156
well dude, u were wrong about no.5) the black Cable and the boxes.
in fact my Momentum has black cable and it is not fake, because it's the first Momentum that they lauched earlier, now had stop production.
And that box is not fake, is the first Momentum. (not the Brown version)
i bought my Momentum in Frankfurt, costed me 300 Euro.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #103 of 156
The biggest determination for fakes is still how they sound. The drivers are the most expensive and complex pieces to fake in a headphone. You ears will tell you the difference. I know, even the drivers are getting better. If you aren't sure, duck into a shop that sells the real one and compare them to yours. That is the litmus test.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #104 of 156
Nakamichi headphones are at K-Mart and Sears. They sound OK. Listenable - but not hi-fi. One note bloated bass. Grainy V-shaped midrange and laid-back grainy highs. For someone who can only afford $10-$15 headphones, they aren't bad. They sound very similar to Polaroid or Sakar cans - all priced around the same point - and most likely using the same 40mm drivers all made in the same Chinese factory. Actually, I've recently seen Sony ZX headphones priced around the same point - and they actually do sound better than the Nakamichis. I remember in the 80s that Nakamichi was awesome stuff. There still is some of that floating around and it is still expensive - but there's also these cheap headphones floating around - same logo - but must have acquired the rights to use the name brand. Kind of like slapping a Mercedes logo on a $4000 new car. Honestly, there are some much better sounding headphones out there for just a little bit more- but all are made in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back