Fake Sennheiser Momentums?
Nov 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #76 of 156
  Also, I saw Stax, Bang Olufsen, UE tripleFI 10's for 100$. lol

Not all products from aliexpress are counterfeits. It happens to sell originals to satisfy emerging markets with small demand. How does a guy (for example) from Sri Lanka buy expensive products? They do deserve to buy nice things too... However the price is not as competitive as the US market. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #77 of 156
  Not all products from aliexpress are counterfeits. It happens to sell originals to satisfy emerging markets with small demand. How does a guy (for example) from Sri Lanka to buy expensive products? They do deserve to buy nice things too... However the price is not as competitive as the US market.

Agreed. But my point is there is just a lot of countefeits. I think the ratio for Authentic over knockoffs is 3:10, or more than. Bottom line, it all boils down to the buyer. Whether to go with it or not.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #79 of 156
Sorry to dig this back up, I suspect I've picked up a fake pair of Momentums as well, but was wanting some help with figuring that out.

I bought a pair of 'near new' over-ear momentums from New Zealand's version of ebay - trademe. Everything physically about these headphones appears legit, the cables are the right colour, I have the bender on the end, everything is properly made, quality parts that feel correct.

But they sound pretty much awful. Bass is essentially non-existent and the rest of the frequencies are barely better than my 202s and the sound-staging is fairly narrow.

The previous owner says he put about 14 hours on them and there is some signs of use - cat hair caught in the case, that kind of thing. 

I'm planning on seeing if I can find a demo pair of these in a local store this weekend; any further thoughts on how I might be able to further deduce if these are legit or not?

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #80 of 156
  Sorry to dig this back up, I suspect I've picked up a fake pair of Momentums as well, but was wanting some help with figuring that out.

I bought a pair of 'near new' over-ear momentums from New Zealand's version of ebay - trademe. Everything physically about these headphones appears legit, the cables are the right colour, I have the bender on the end, everything is properly made, quality parts that feel correct.

But they sound pretty much awful. Bass is essentially non-existent and the rest of the frequencies are barely better than my 202s and the sound-staging is fairly narrow.

The previous owner says he put about 14 hours on them and there is some signs of use - cat hair caught in the case, that kind of thing. 

I'm planning on seeing if I can find a demo pair of these in a local store this weekend; any further thoughts on how I might be able to further deduce if these are legit or not?

Have you played with the cable to make sure there is a good connection?

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #81 of 156
Only buy from an authorized dealer.. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #82 of 156

Certainly sounds like they're fake.  Especially given that the previous owner barely used them and then sold them.

Your idea of going to a store to listen to some real ones is excellent. But make sure you take you (possible) fakes with you, so you can compare directly.

As an aside, I bought a real pair from a large, reputable retailer in Australia. They are the black model. They have red wires both in the headband and the ones that connect to your hi-fi. Both leads also have the proprietry twst-to-lock mechanism for the left earpiece, and the one with the remote has the articulated end.

And, above all, they sound fabulous.  If the fakes sound good, then who cares, you have a bargain. But I bet they don't.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #83 of 156
Description from the Aliexpress website:

"Ours is with the best quality drive units, and improved the logo production technology, the logo is 100% the same as the original product. You will find our products has the best performance"

Seriously, this sort of Chinglish didn't tip anyone off?

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #86 of 156
Jun 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #88 of 156
Sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Just make sure you're buying them from Amazon and not a third-party seller.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #90 of 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back