Fake monsters beats , are they worth it ?
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I saw an increasing number of shop selling Monster headphones in my country (Morocco). This drive me a bit nuts , because it's usually so hard to find "audiophile" headphones here (usually only cheap sony, jvc etc...), and suddenly you see  lot of Monster headphones with the Gaga and Dre names (I  didn't see the Bieber ones).  In some shops the monster headphones are as expensive as the originals (if not more, but how could you check if they are genuine ?); but at black market, the price is more attractive (too cheap for originals, too expensive for  fakes; but you can ask for a bargain ).

I've just done a google search , and I've seen someone saying on a morrocan forum

(I  translate ):
"I would like to ask where I could find the earphone (not the over the ear ones) beats by Dre. And how much, it costs, it doesn't matter if they are fake , I was told they are as good as the real ones"
Original french sentence, in case there's a mistake in the translation:
"Je voulais juste vous demander où on peut trouver des écouteurs (pas un casque) beats by dr. Dre.. Et combien ça coute, c'est pas grave si ce sont des faux, on m'a dit qu'ils sont aussi bien que les vrais"

Also someone asking at yahoo answers:
"How is the Fake Studio Beats Sound quality?
[...] the original ones are a bit pricy for me
[...] people are saying the sound is almost identical"

Also I've seen the comparisons between fake & original
I  found that the differences were too hard to pinpoint,
and I thought "let's just get directly the fakes;
at least I  wouldn't spend much and be fooled".

So which fake monster are worth the try , and at which max price ?
It's not that I  really need them , but one day, I  might be tempted by the red cabled tours in particular (at 40$ ?).

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 16
Sadly this is the wrong forum for fakes, whether that be from Dr Dre's line from Monster, Audio Technica, or
any other manufacturer that is currently being ripped off by illegitimate re-producers.

It appears that your motivations are somewhat purely cosmetic which is fine, get which ever one makes you happy
in that respect.

Sorry for the lack of input but I simply do not see many people on here giving you kudos for a fake
replica of a headphone that is already loathed somewhat in the first place.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
You never know, there's a fair chance the fakes will sound better than the real thing.

biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 16
I doubt the fake will sound as good as the real ones, producers of fakes doesn't have the buying power of monster cable. So making anything decent would be unlikely. They probably sound worse than ibuds, IMO

Edit: I just realised you guys were being sarcastic LOL 
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 16
hmm... i am getting a set of Beats Tour of INR 2600 (USD $52). The person just bought a HP Envy beats edition and got them for free but wants to sell them. Do you think its worth it. 

PS: i am not a bass head. :|

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
hmm... i am getting a set of Beats Tour of INR 2600 (USD $52). The person just bought a HP Envy beats edition and got them for free but wants to sell them. Do you think its worth it. 

For 52 USD, the Beats Tour would be a good deal, since they do make anyone look cooler. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 16
The bass on the Tours isn't that pronounced imo. Tried my friend's Tours, cranked up the volume and all I heard was the piercing treble. 
No bass whatsoever at full volume.

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
You never know, there's a fair chance the fakes will sound better than the real thing.

You must really dislike the original ones, for saying this.

I  guess that the monsters headphones have some success here, because they look "cool" , especially for teenagers. I'm disgusted by the shop that are making lot of money by selling at the price of originals. Well, I  assume they are fake; otherwise, why almost no interest in selling the other brands ?

I  saw a  youtube video regarding a fake  white beat tour, and I  must say they are pushing the imitation too far, it's nearly impossible to make a distinction with the originals.  Regarding the sound the reviewer commented that the bass is great, but the high a bit muffled, but what do you expect for 8 pounds ?

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I have the fake ones. My friend who has the original beats compared both of the headphones and our verdict was that they both sound fairly similar.

wink_face.gif
 However, both the fake and real beats take about the same time for the plastic to crack apart.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I doubt the fake will sound as good as the real ones, producers of fakes doesn't have the buying power of monster cable. So making anything decent would be unlikely. They probably sound worse than ibuds, IMO

Edit: I just realised you guys were being sarcastic LOL 
atsmile.gif

If Monster put that buying power into design engineering and quality, you might have a point.  They obviously don't.  Except for possibly the ANC circuit, there's a fair chance that a $150 pair of fake Pros costs just as much to manufacture as the genuine article.  The components are probably just as good. The only difference in cost that gives Monster an advantage is the cost of endorsements, marketing and PR.  

Any halfway competent manufacturing company could make a headphone identical to the Beats.  Since they don't have to pay for all that PR and endorsements, they could sell them for $150 and still make a good profit. I have no doubt that many of the fakes sound just as good as the real Beats.  They're might very well be a much better value, as long as you don't need to take advantage of the warranty.  

The cost difference for materials between a fake and real Beat is likely far smaller than the cost difference for materials between a fake and real Sennheiser.
Disregarding the issue of patent infringement, an otherwise ethical company could easily make a bundle selling an exact clone of the Beats for $150, or even less.
This might well be the reason that Monster keeps their driver specs such a guarded secret.  That might be the only way they can tell a fake from an original.  
Doing it by sound quality could nigh well be impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back