FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake
Apr 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

gongkia2000

New Head-Fier
Recently, I purchased a set of Monster Beats Studio HD from eBay, from a reputable seller with a good track record. It was my carelessness that led to this unfortunate purchase. Being enticed with a very much reduced price of SGD400, compared to its original retail price of SGD700, I made the purchase.

However, I found out that it was a fake after a while, and after reaching an amicable agreement with my seller, who I have given the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was not aware that his supplier had been supplying him with imitation goods. (Possibly gullible on my part, but this is besides the point since I have received my full refund and I do not wish to pursue the matter).

I then went on to purchase a set from HMV. With both the real and fake Monster Beats Studio HD, I decided to do some side by side comparisons.

The product on the left is always the ORIGINAL, while the product on the right is always the IMITATION.

IMG_4976.JPG

Starting with the front cover, it is clear that the imitation good does not bear the "tm" (trademark) sign beneath the word "studio" on the bottom left hand corner of the box (may be a little small, but you can see that a little dot of text is missing from the picture on the right).

IMG_4974.JPG

At the back of the box, you can see that the pictures of the headphones are slightly different. They are positioned slightly differently. Then there's also the lack of the "tm" sign beneath the "studio" word at the bottom left corner. "tm" is also missing on the vertical text on the left of the box beneath the word "dre", and is also missing from the last line of the last paragraph of text.

IMG_4975.JPG

On the side of the box, it is obvious that the picture on the original is smaller than that of the imitation product. The original also mentions that batteries and the airline adapter are included, while the imitation doesn't mention that at all.

IMG_4973.JPG

Dr Dre's headshot. Very clearly different. The printing on the fake is generally much darker, and you can't see his neck area very well. His neck is clearer on the original. Also do note the use of a " | " instead of a " / " between "beatsbydre.com" and "monstercable.com" on the original and imitation respectively. Also, there's a whacked up model number on the bottom right hand corner of the fake one, and there isn't any on the real one.

IMG_4981.JPG

Removing the jacket to reveal the red box, we can see that the black pull-out tab on the real deal is longer than that of the imitation.

IMG_4986.JPG

Clear differences here. A blind man could tell the difference.

IMG_4988.JPG

On the back of the quick-start guide, there are subtle differences in font size and the usage of " | " and " / " again. Once again, real deal on left, imitation on right. There is also a spelling error in "mostercable.com" (thanks to warpdriver for pointing this out)

IMG_4990.JPG

Super big difference between the provided cleaning cloths. Original cloth is huge. Fake one is tiny.

IMG_4987.JPG

These 2 documents are provided with the real deal and not with the imitation.

IMG_4991.JPG

The battery cover of the real deal, of course, has the serial number and Dr Dre's signature. The fake doesn't have any (Picture of fake battery cover not included, just imagine an empty space where the signature and serial should be).

COMPARISONS OF THE HEADPHONES TO BE ADDED SOON.

To be honest, the headphones are almost identical. The differences lie in the material of the ear cup and the aforementioned battery covers. The battery indicator light on the real deal also seems to be a tad brighter. To be extremely honest, even the sound quality is quite close. No kidding. The quality of the imitation good is actually, though I hate to mention this, very good. However, the cables do tend to give way quickly and the threading around the carabina of the hard case gives way easily.

The point of this posting is to simply create awareness on how excellent fake goods have grown to become. Please be astute when making purchases. When a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 47
Haha, I do understand that many bear a sort of aversion to Monster products. While it is true that they are overpriced, it cannot be said, for this product in particular, that it sucks. If you want something that both looks and sounds good, and you don't mind dishing out an extra nickel for it, I don't see why anyone would give this a pass.

Anyhow, I just hope that people do not make the same mistake that I did. Heads up!

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 47
Fortunately Monster Cable Products, Inc. has lawyers. Lots of lawyers. This should keep them busy.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 47
I'm not confirming whether or not your Beats Studio is fake or not, but I did want to say the following:
  1. I have received two Beats Studio headphone samples directly from Monster Cable.
  2. The first was received before official release, and may have been early production or pre-production.
  3. The second was received just a few months ago (or thereabouts), and would definitely be production.
  4. I have both boxes, but I can't remember which one came with which.
  5. One of the boxes looks like the one on the left, and the other looks like the one on the right.
So, again, I'm not saying the one you bought on eBay isn't fake, only that I have two boxes here that came directly from Monster Cable, and one looks like the one on the left, and the other looks like the one on the right.

(I don't have the user manual, etc. handy, and I wouldn't know which one was which at this point anyway, so I can't comment on what came in the box in either case.)

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not confirming whether or not your Beats Studio is fake or not, but I did want to say the following:
  1. I have received two Beats Studio headphone samples directly from Monster Cable.
  2. The first was received before official release, and may have been early production or pre-production.
  3. The second was received just a few months ago (or thereabouts), and would definitely be production.
  5. One of the boxes looks like the one on the left, and the other looks like the one on the right.
So, again, I'm not saying the one you bought on eBay isn't fake, only that I have two boxes here that came directly from Monster Cable, and one looks like the one on the left, and the other looks like the one on the right.

(I don't have the user manual, etc. handy, and I wouldn't know which one was which at this point anyway, so I can't comment on what came in the box in either case.)

Well you may very well be right, but it would still be illegal to sell them as genuine retail products since those on the left aren't covered by official warranty at all. They don't even have serial numbers. However, the sound quality is so uncannily similar that you may very well be right.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

lol??? gongkia i think 1 of them is just a retail version... based on what this dude says... ROFL

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by gongkia2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you may very well be right, but it would still be illegal to sell them as genuine retail products since those on the left aren't covered by official warranty at all. They don't even have serial numbers. However, the sound quality is so uncannily similar that you may very well be right.

Again, I'm not claiming to be right or wrong about the fake or not issue. What I know I am right about (unequivocally) is that I have two Beats Studios samples sent directly from Monster Cable to me, one with a box like the one on the left, and one with a box like the one on the right.

Both of the Beats Studios samples I have are serial-numbered on the inside of the battery cover. It might be kind of odd, then, that one of yours does not have a serial number. Again, you might be right that one of yours is a fake.

I'm only pointing out that the box alone probably isn't enough tell a real from a fake, as I know for certain both of mine are real (having come directly from Monster Cable).

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol??? gongkia i think 1 of them is just a retail version... based on what this dude says... ROFL

I have just noticed that the included cables on the real set are softer and of better quality. The fake ones had its internal wire exposed after a day of usage. The iPhone button also broke after 2 days. The ear muffs on the real set are made of leather, while that of the 'fake' is synthetic. The fakes also give off a high pitch shrill when the right muff is bent upwards.

Be it pre release or fake, these products cannot be sold or advertised as the real deal if the make and quality is substandard, whether by a small or a significant level.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

I have just noticed that the included cables on the real set are softer and of better quality. The fake ones had its internal wire exposed after a day of usage. The iPhone button also broke after 2 days. The ear muffs on the real set are made of leather, while that of the 'fake' is synthetic. The fakes also give off a high pitch shrill when the right muff is bent upwards.

Be it pre release or fake, these products cannot be sold or advertised as the real deal if the make and quality is substandard, whether by a small or a significant level.

I don't know if the pads are real leather--they might be, they might not be.

I'm also not saying that yours is pre-production, I'm saying one of the ones I have here might be. Even so, both of the ones I have here do not exhibit the problems you're talking about (specifically the high pitch shrill, or the cable problem). And, again, both of the ones here are serial numbered.

Again, I'm not saying yours isn't fake, only that the box might not be the best indicator of that, given that I've got both boxes here, on two units known to be authentic.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Again, I'm not claiming to be right or wrong about the fake or not issue. What I know I am right about (unequivocally) is that I have two Beats Studios samples sent directly from Monster Cable to me, one with a box like the one on the left, and one with a box like the one on the right.

Both of the Beats Studios samples I have are serial-numbered on the inside of the battery cover. It might be kind of odd, then, that one of yours does not have a serial number. Again, you might be right that one of yours is a fake.

I'm only pointing out that the box alone probably isn't enough tell a real from a fake, as I know for certain both of mine are real (having come directly from Monster Cable).

I appreciate your feedback.

I would say that having no serial number is actually a confirmation of it's lack of authenticity. You can't claim warranty! How about the cables provided? Any difference?

The copycats could have simply placed their imitation products in boxes based on the pre-release sets. Well it would be good if someone from Monster Cable could place a cap on this issue.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

IMG_4988.JPG

On the back of the quick-start guide, there are subtle differences in font size and the usage of " | " and " / " again. Once again, real deal on left, imitation on right.

Not to mention the spelling error

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention the spelling error

Ha ha. Mostercable

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 47
The comparison given truly does make it look like the one on the right is fake. Even given the fact that Jude does own both boxes, how would they get the spelling wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back