Fake Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
I don't think that you will get fake Superluxes, it's not a very well known brand and it wouldn't be profitable to copy it.  Just saying, you can't be sure though.
I know this doesn't really help, but in the future watch out for stuff shipping from HK.  I don't want to stereotype, but anything shipping from HK is a pretty good indicator of it being a fake, especially if you are buying from a small or not very well known vendor.
Also, buying from Amazon doesn't guarantee anything.  Even I can sell stuff on Amazon.  Only buying directly from Amazon makes it safe.  Fulfilled buy Amazon does not equal buying directly from Amazon.  Fulfillment by Amazon simply means that I ship all of my products to an Amazon owned warehouse so that they can ship stuff out for me when it sells.

Anyways, don't feel too bad.  Some fakes are made very well and don't really sound any worse than real ones.

That sounds reassuring but I have nothing to base that claim off of, seeing that my ears are still virgin to the audiophile world :p
Maybe they were as good as the real ones, but I'll never know until i actually get my hands on real ones. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 40
OH.MY.GOD.
Dude, you came in as a saviour. My case is EXACTLY the same as you. Bought these phones day before yesterday from the same site through google "shopping" search. And today after getting the tracking info got to know they are being shipped from Hong Kong :frowning2: Now that I know I will be getting the fake one's what should be my next step? I'm not really experienced with online shopping and have just purchased a few products from ebay, thats it. How can I get a refund after getting the delivery. I too made the payment through paypal. Thanks in advance.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
OH.MY.GOD.
Dude, you came in as a saviour. My case is EXACTLY the same as you. Bought these phones day before yesterday from the same site through google "shopping" search. And today after getting the tracking info got to know they are being shipped from Hong Kong :frowning2: Now that I know I will be getting the fake one's what should be my next step? I'm not really experienced with online shopping and have just purchased a few products from ebay, thats it. How can I get a refund after getting the delivery. I too made the payment through paypal. Thanks in advance.

Contact Paypay and tell them you want to stop payment, or put a hold on payment, something like that.
Tell Paypal you just found out the seller has a history of shipping fakes or come up with better reasons to Paypal.
Contact the shipping company and tell them you want to refuse and or cancel the shipment.
I'm going to guess it will be helpful for getting some kind of refund from Paypal if you do not receive the shipment.
If you receive the shipment, I'm guess you would have to pay the shipping charges for the return.
Do not let things drag out, the longer it take to resolve. the harder it will be for getting the refund.
If you do not feel Paypal will agree right away to put a hold or cancel the payment.
Call the Credit card company that you use for your Paypal account and cancel the charge.
Tell the Credit card company the seller has a history of fraud and are refusing the shipment.
Paypal may not like it and say you violated some agreement you had with them.
But stopping the payment will motivate them to resolve the issue.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #34 of 40
You can always refuse delivery for the item to go back to the seller at no shipping cost.
Just tell your delivery man/woman that you dont want the item and you want to refuse delivery.
So yeah, just dont open the box cause then you will have to pay for the delivery to Hong Kong

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
You can always refuse delivery for the item to go back to the seller at no shipping cost.
Just tell your delivery man/woman that you dont want the item and you want to refuse delivery.
So yeah, just dont open the box cause then you will have to pay for the delivery to Hong Kong

He would have to be there when the delivery guy shows up, otherwise all the delivery guy does is leave it at his doorstep,
in Paypal's eyes that as good delivered.
He should go down to the local office (with ID and shipping number) of the shipper and tell them he want to refuse the shipment.
Do not let the package near his door.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #36 of 40
Being from Hong Kong has not much to do with being trustworthy, I bought audiotechnica's WS55 from AccessoryJack.com which is in Hong Kong and they are great. My HP arrived to Europe in a week, everything fine, great headphones, great packaging. The shop has an awesome feedback as well (and low prices).
Anyway, I don't know what to think about your headphones. Just for the location, I don't think it means much, you just had a bad luck.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #37 of 40
Just to update this thread, the headphones were 100% fake. Beware, and do not buy from a distributor who you have not confirmed YOURSELF with Audio Technica that they are Authorized Resellers. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #38 of 40

My experience with fake audio technica ath-50 headphones. 

a)  the quality of plastic is not good, it looks as if it failed to pass the quality check. You will not find mistakes with original ones, everything is well firmed.

b) right & left channel are reversed (sometimes they are ok). If you want to keep them you will have to open the left side and solder the cable correctly.

c) the ear-pads are not stable, they spin around every time & you have to correct their position, also the original ear-pads are softer, the fake ones are hard.

d) use a multimeter to measure the resistance of each channel. The original ones are 38 Ohm per channel, the fake ones are 29-31 ohm. If they came from the same factory they are definitely factory seconds.
This causes unbalanced sound & music sounds louder to the one channel that has the lowest resistance.

e) lettering is faded on the fake ones.

f) The good part is that they sound good even if they are fake ones. I have the original also. The fake ones empasize the mid frequencies a bit. You can put some thin acoustic foam to make things better. Overall the fake ones can be the "i don't care throwing away every day use all weather 50$ worth headphones"

Vassilis

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #39 of 40

Quote:

My experience with fake audio technica ath-50 headphones. 

a)  the quality of plastic is not good, it looks as if it failed to pass the quality check. You will not find mistakes with original ones, everything is well firmed.

b) right & left channel are reversed (sometimes they are ok). If you want to keep them you will have to open the left side and solder the cable correctly.

c) the ear-pads are not stable, they spin around every time & you have to correct their position, also the original ear-pads are softer, the fake ones are hard.

d) use a multimeter to measure the resistance of each channel. The original ones are 38 Ohm per channel, the fake ones are 29-31 ohm. If they came from the same factory they are definitely factory seconds.
This causes unbalanced sound & music sounds louder to the one channel that has the lowest resistance.

e) lettering is faded on the fake ones.

f) The good part is that they sound good even if they are fake ones. I have the original also. The fake ones empasize the mid frequencies a bit. You can put some thin acoustic foam to make things better. Overall the fake ones can be the "i don't care throwing away every day use all weather 50$ worth headphones"

Vassilis

I can attest to everything said above, so future buyers beware. I did exactly described: they are now trashed and thrown away because they fell apart. Currently rocking new HDJ-2000's and enjoying them so much more than my terrible experience with the fakes. Don't let this discourage you (the reader who's reading this right now) from buying ATH-M50's, but if you're getting it for less than $140-150 (unless amazon has a huge sale again) they are probably too good to be true. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back