FA7, the first Quad drivers IEM from FiiO , all Knowles BAs and 3D printed technical , MMCX design
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #106 of 680
I've been doing some tip rolling on the FA7. Unlike the FH5, because the FA7 doesn't have dynamic drivers, different tips don't change the sound as much.

The "balanced" tips seem to give the lower mids/upper bass a bit too much bloom and the other tips, which neither enhance the vocals nor the bass, are a bit better, each subtly changing the emphasis of different frequencies.

The tips that nail it, for me at least, are the Final Type 5, which seem to do no wrong in any particular area, and keep the tonal balance just right.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #111 of 680
The most "tips sensitive" IEMs I have experienced so far are all multiBA

For me it has always been dynamic driver IEMs that are the most affected by tips. The FA7 seem to only be subtly affected. I'd go as far as to say that FiiO could have done without the variety of tips included and only had one good silicon set aside from the bi-flange and foam tips.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #113 of 680
The most "tips sensitive" IEMs I have experienced so far are all multiBA

For me it has always been dynamic driver IEMs that are the most affected by tips. The FA7 seem to only be subtly affected. I'd go as far as to say that FiiO could have done without the variety of tips included and only had one good silicon set aside from the bi-flange and foam tips.

Yeah, I agree with Currawong. It's very easy to get a seal with the FA7 in my experience, which might be why. Even the foamies don't affect the sound as much as I expected.

Very curious how different the FA7 can be to the FH5; contemplating replacing my IE80 with the FH5

I like the FH5, but after a few days, I still think the FA7 is a step above. Again, I think fiio's description of the differences was pretty good. The FH5 is a smoother listen (if you don't mind the forward upper mids) and doesn't present as much detail right in your face.

The FA7 is a bit more of an audiophile sound in the treble. The detail is more upfront, though it's never bordered on harshness to my ears. That said, I'd personally tame the FA7's mid-bass a bit.
Of the included singl-flanges, I think the vocal tips have the best tonal balancet. Still have to spend some time comparing those to the foams and bi-flanges though

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #114 of 680
@FiiO @JamesFiiO I'm in
Do you will be using DHL for shipping? Also want your top balanced cable, hope you could offer a discount as when the release of the FH5

Yes, we will use DHL/FEDEX/UPS to delivery FA7 from China.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #117 of 680
Just ordered transparent black from PENON's, i ll be doing some back to back comparisons with DM6 & BR5 MKII in about 2 weeks hope so......:ksc75smile:
Just Hoping, i wont regret this purchase ......

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #118 of 680
Just some more measurements for good... umm, measure.

Here's the RAW FR as measured on my MiniDSP Ears using the balanced tips. The usual disclaimer about the EARS not being industry-standard gear applies, with the upper treble being particularly contentious on iems. I wouldn't really count on anything above 5 or 6k to be very accurate. And I'm still learning the ropes as to which tips give the most consistent results across different IEMs and such.

Point is, Fiio's or Brooko''s measurements are more useful in isolation. I hope I can calibrate my EARs against some industry standard later down the road, but for now sharing just to have some more data points/comparisons against my own gear.

FA7 R balanced tips.png

Still, things are looking pretty close to Fiios measurements up to about 7K, though I think both mine and Brooko's show the FA7 a little darker/more bass-heavy than Fiio's.

And just to illustrate the point about minimal change with tips. Yes, there seem to be some slight differences which are generally replicable, but they're so small you might go nuts with the tip rolling. Here's how the Balanced, Vocal, Bass, and Foam tips stack up:

FA7 Tips.png

Backs up my impressions about the vocal tips as they seem to be the brightest, but the foams are just barely different and more comfortable. I'd say just stick to whatever you find most comfortable.

Here's the FA7 vs the FH5. They were volume matched at 300hz as per the MiniDSPs instructions, but I shifted the graphs to match at 1K as I think it better illustrates the differences:

FA7 vs FH5.png

That 2K hump was my biggest problem with the FH5 - the FA7 has no such issue, although I wish it had a touch less midbass.

Lastly, here's how they compared to the RHA CL2 and Hifiman RE2000 on my rig:
FA7 vs CL2 vs RE2000.png

I think the graphs exaggerate the perceived differences in treble though.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #119 of 680
I took a leap of faith and ordered one of the last smoke/silver ones yesterday on Amazon USA. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. And I really like the FH5, but am actually buying into FiiO's sales pitch about their complementary characteristics.
Improved retention, isolation, resolution, mid-balance, and bass decay are also factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back