FA7, the first Quad drivers IEM from FiiO , all Knowles BAs and 3D printed technical , MMCX design
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #376 of 680
Lots of diverging opinions on the FA7s so far.

I really care about isolation and medium-to-deep insertion (something Shure-like) and it seems like those will be great for that purpose. I also like bassy and bright headphones like Beyerdynamic DT770 and I don't like EQing. I hear these are a little dark and 'too bassy' according to some. I can also use a $35 discount. Would these be alright for my preferences and are they worth it purely in terms of sound quality?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #377 of 680

I really care about isolation and medium-to-deep insertion (something Shure-like) and it seems like those will be great for that purpose. I also like bassy and bright headphones like Beyerdynamic DT770 and I don't like EQing. I hear these are a little dark and 'too bassy' according to some. I can also use a $35 discount. Would these be alright for my preferences and are they worth it purely in terms of sound quality?
Bright they are definitely not, but I wouldn't call them dark either. Either way I much prefer them to the DT770, but then I'm not a Beyer fan.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #378 of 680
Bright they are definitely not, but I wouldn't call them dark either. Either way I much prefer them to the DT770, but then I'm not a Beyer fan.
Awesome, thank you. Great review/impressions in this thread by the way.

Is the bass bleed a potential dealbreaker (I am not too picky on them being reference tuned) and, on a purely sonic/SQ/resolution level, how do they compare to other IEMs/headphones in that bracket?

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #379 of 680
Awesome, thank you. Great review/impressions in this thread by the way.

Is the bass bleed a potential dealbreaker (I am not too picky on them being reference tuned) and, on a purely sonic/SQ/resolution level, how do they compare to other IEMs/headphones in that bracket?
That really depends on your preference. I didn't find the bass 'bloom' too bad - some actually prefer that sound. I've grown to enjoy a more linear bass response with a sub bass rather than mid bass emphasis, which is why I personally prefer the FH5, but that's only because I also enjoy the FH5's forward mids/vocals and shallow insertion, which many do not. the Massdrop Plus is a great performer at a similar price, but won't give you the bass heft of the FA7 or FH5, and the Fiios are better built. That's about where my IEM experience ends - I'm more of a full-size headphone guy. The FH5/M9 is all I really need in a mobile solution for just about any genre I listen to.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #380 of 680
That really depends on your preference. I didn't find the bass 'bloom' too bad - some actually prefer that sound. I've grown to enjoy a more linear bass response with a sub bass rather than mid bass emphasis, which is why I personally prefer the FH5, but that's only because I also enjoy the FH5's forward mids/vocals and shallow insertion, which many do not. the Massdrop Plus is a great performer at a similar price, but won't give you the bass heft of the FA7 or FH5, and the Fiios are better built. That's about where my IEM experience ends - I'm more of a full-size headphone guy. The FH5/M9 is all I really need in a mobile solution for just about any genre I listen to.
Yeah, I was actually looking at the MD+ as an alternative (along with P1, Oriveti NP, ER4XR or even more expensive ones like SE846). Issue is where I live I can get the FA7 quite a bit cheaper, with a reliable warranty, I have some cool MMCX cables I can use with them and I love that 3D printed design.

I haven't seen any detailed direct comparisons between the two but if it's the elevated bass that's the key difference, I don't really mind that -- I do listen to a lot of bass-demanding music. What I am more concerned is whether the MD+ is clearly better in terms of resolution, clarity, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #381 of 680
Yeah, I was actually looking at the MD+ as an alternative. Issue is where I live I can get the FA7 quite a bit cheaper, with a reliable warranty, I have some cool MMCX cables I can use with them and I love that 3D printed design.

I haven't seen any detailed direct comparisons between the two but if it's the elevated bass that's the key difference, I don't really mind that -- I do listen to a lot of bass-demanding music. What I am more concerned is whether the MD+ is clearly better in terms of resolution, clarity, etc.
That's hard to say as I didn't compare them directly. The Plus is likely more clear than the FA7 but only because it has less bloom and more treble extension. Resolution is probably on par. Fiio has the obvious edge in looks, build, accessories and MMCX (which I prefer to two-pin).

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #382 of 680
I have had the fa7 for a few days and am very impressed, it fits & seals well (although nothing like as deep an insertion as ety's) and the sound is everything i wanted, good vocals, not bright or sibilant and good bass depth (although to be fair the bass is on occasion prominent but only if the recording emphasises the bass in the mix). They sound way better imo than the se535 (which -to me- had a tendency to sound slightly artificial with some female voices at times) and the bass is less one-dimensional.

I did try the fh5 but found the vocals far too strident and the fit (for my ears) poor so they were returned.

I would suggest the fa7 reviews that i have read are very fair and accurate.

d

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #383 of 680
They sound way better imo than the se535 (which -to me- had a tendency to sound slightly artificial with some female voices at times) and the bass is less one-dimensional.

FiiO is offering serious competition to Shure's IEMs with better prices and more pleasing visual aesthetics. For me, the FA7 performs best with a balanced cable.

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #384 of 680
FiiO is offering serious competition to Shure's IEMs with better prices and more pleasing visual aesthetics. For me, the FA7 performs best with a balanced cable.

Using the FA7 with the Fiio LC-2.5C balanced cable. Opens the FA7 up a little more than the stock 3.5mm cable, and makes it great for travel. Although the stock 3.5 isn't bad.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #385 of 680

You would need to strip down that bass with eq because it bleeds in to the mids quite a bit. Its not bright but it is very clear sounding. The only problems i have are the bass bleed (fixed by EQ) and the metallic treble, otherwise really nice for £250.

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #386 of 680
You would need to strip down that bass with eq because it bleeds in to the mids quite a bit. Its not bright but it is very clear sounding. The only problems i have are the bass bleed (fixed by EQ) and the metallic treble, otherwise really nice for £250.
Thanks. If I don't plan to EQ, I shouldn't even bother then?

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #388 of 680
Thanks. If I don't plan to EQ, I shouldn't even bother then?

From my personal perspective the sound is great through my dx120 using a balanced cable or through the fiio x7/am2 unbalanced, i like the warmth and emotion that is generated, i listen to mostly vocal music (jazz, folk, blues) some of which was recorded in less than ideal circumstances and they still sound good even with music recorded almost 100 years ago as well as recently recorded music (mostly mixed in a way that does not emphasise the bass - they may not ideal for bass heavy music.

d

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #389 of 680
I have outgrown my favor for bass and have now realized there is more to the audio spectrum than bass

Like anyone who enjoys cooking, to search out flavor without the need for high amounts of fat and sugar defines good cooking. :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #390 of 680
From my personal perspective the sound is great through my dx120 using a balanced cable or through the fiio x7/am2 unbalanced, i like the warmth and emotion that is generated, i listen to mostly vocal music (jazz, folk, blues) some of which was recorded in less than ideal circumstances and they still sound good even with music recorded almost 100 years ago as well as recently recorded music (mostly mixed in a way that does not emphasise the bass - they may not ideal for bass heavy music.

d
I do not use eq and choose my earphones to fit my personal taste. I find fine volume control (q5 has 256 volume steps) to be of more importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back