Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock, Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Madchester, Ethereal Wave, etc.) Appreciation Thread
Jul 10, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #63 of 468
Yes, Verve (before they became The Verve) were excellent - The Verve EP and A Storm In Heaven. Psychedelic gold. Shame they morphed into another Oasis clone and are now mainly remembered as the band who did 'Bittersweet Symphony'.

I remember being given a cassette copy of A Storm In Heaven in college, '93 and being blown away. The same guy introduced me to The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Jesus & Mary Chain and many others. Formative years.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #65 of 468

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #66 of 468
Yes, Verve (before they became The Verve) were excellent - The Verve EP and A Storm In Heaven. Psychedelic gold. Shame they morphed into another Oasis clone and are now mainly remembered as the band who did 'Bittersweet Symphony'.

I remember being given a cassette copy of A Storm In Heaven in college, '93 and being blown away. The same guy introduced me to The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Jesus & Mary Chain and many others. Formative years.

They honestly need to make a remastered version of "A Storm In Heaven" besides just remastering Blue and Slide Away. I actually think Urban Hymns was an excellent album. It might be a little britpop but it still incorprates a little bit of space rock as well. Never really got into A Northern Soul though.

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #69 of 468
I challenge people with ultra-bright iems or cans to listen to the beginning of Reckoner by Radiohead!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I challenge people with ultra-bass heavy iems or cans to listen to the middle of James Blale - Limit to your love.
very_evil_smiley.gif

On another note:

The Dandy Warhols are not longer "that Vodafone song" band.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #70 of 468
I've been in a major Robyn Hitchcock phase lately:

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #72 of 468
You know whenever i hear the term "Indie Rock" i always get the feeling of "Mumford & Sons" or "Imagine Dragons". Not a good feeling imo. I shouldnt be getting it though since imo true indie rock consists of the Stone Roses and The Smiths. Now those are excellent bands, not slop i hear on the local pop radio all the damn time. I mean cmon we need a "Shoegaze" radio or "Grunge" radio. But that would be too esoteric.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #73 of 468
You know whenever i hear the term "Indie Rock" i always get the feeling of "Mumford & Sons" or "Imagine Dragons". Not a good feeling imo. I shouldnt be getting it though since imo true indie rock consists of the Stone Roses and The Smiths. Now those are excellent bands, not slop i hear on the local pop radio all the damn time. I mean cmon we need a "Shoegaze" radio or "Grunge" radio. But that would be too esoteric.

You're about 25 years too late with that 
wink_face.gif
 Grunge was always on the radio back in the early 90s. Do people still listen to the radio anyway? I never do personally - closest I get these days is downloading or streaming podcasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back