Experiences with Bryston BHA-1 headamp?
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #92 of 157
I think mine looks fantastic sitting by itself with a long cable coming over from the DAC.

Stereo (179).JPG

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #94 of 157
I love my Abyss Diana Phi! By far the best headphones I have ever own. Others that I have had in comparison: KEF M500, Audeze EL-8, Mr. Speakers Ether, Audeze LCD-3, McIntosh MHP1000, Sennheiser HD800S, Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-i4... I think that is it... but as you see some pretty decent cans I have had in comparison. None are on the same level as the Abyss!

The Bryston drives these headphones way beyond any level I would ever listen to them at... and man does it sound good!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #95 of 157
I love my Abyss Diana Phi! By far the best headphones I have ever own. Others that I have had in comparison: KEF M500, Audeze EL-8, Mr. Speakers Ether, Audeze LCD-3, McIntosh MHP1000, Sennheiser HD800S, Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-i4... I think that is it... but as you see some pretty decent cans I have had in comparison. None are on the same level as the Abyss!

The Bryston drives these headphones way beyond any level I would ever listen to them at... and man does it sound good!
Yes I like my abyss headphones too. They actually weren't playing that loud on my bedroom bha1 via my tablet and UAPP streaming tidal. I assumed it was the benchmark dacs internal gain, but it turns out it was the "hardware volume" in the UAPP settings. I put it up to 100% output and lo and behold, problem with the gain solved. Now the abyss are plenty loud.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #96 of 157
Does this mean the Benchmark level issue is resolved? Did they ever get back to you on your email?

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #98 of 157
Yes it was uapp, not the dac. I just had to raise the volume in the app to 100%. It finally dawned on me what the problem might be.

Did they ever answer your email?

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #100 of 157
Yes, just took 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear they responded. Hopefully that is not their normal get back to you interval.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #102 of 157
I still want to get rid of the benchmark as it is very sterile. And I really like a full size piece of gear like the bryston. The bryston dac, just like their amp, is extremely musical and detailed. The benchmark stuff, like the hpa4, is much too clinical. No thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #104 of 157
I still want to get rid of the benchmark as it is very sterile. And I really like a full size piece of gear like the bryston. The bryston dac, just like their amp, is extremely musical and detailed. The benchmark stuff, like the hpa4, is much too clinical. No thanks.

I need a DAC for a small system that I only use a couple months a year except this year due to the dreaded plague. The form factor would be a good fit for this system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back